Another Christmas Tale from The Zed Shed Update P4

Keyser

Amazing work!....1 day to replace an engine, it would take a Nissan dealer at least 2 days, fantastic!

It's quite straight forward when people who KNOW what they are doing get involved :thumbs::clap: It was a good day in great company, some amusing banter too. Brilliant to catch up with people I hadn't seen since the summer. The comradeship of this place is really quite remarkable :thumbs:
  • Like 3

Wow that's amazing progress to have old out and new in and running within the day. Take my (imaginary) hat off to all involved. Faith in great people restored :D

Just to reiterate that, I left at around 1615 and, the gearbox and new lump had been "married" so to speak, to have the whole thing back in by 1730 and waiting for the rad etc is pretty good going in my book.
  • Like 2

Morning all :wave:

Well we finished Grundys car yesterday, first job was to make sure there was no air in the cooling system

KODC0116_zps32b9336b.jpg

bonnet and bumper back on and she drove out of the Zed Shed under her own power :thumbs:

KODC0117_zpsd711fd03.jpg

Grundy was feeling the love again - out came the quick detailer

KODC0122_zpsdfd5b00a.jpg

And now in no particular order the old engine strip -

KODC0123_zps58bd6692.jpg

KODC0120_zps46d37c47.jpg

KODC0124_zpsf2570ffd.jpg

KODC0127_zps8fd72ee5.jpg

KODC0125_zps1e91f5cd.jpg

Please note the bent valve

KODC0126_zps267ac3a0.jpg

Hole in upper sump (drivers side)

KODC0134_zps542e9a15.jpg

Hole in upper sump (passenger side)

KODC0135_zps6a7418b0.jpg

Hole in block

KODC0136_zps599bdbc6.jpg

Piston has slight damage

KODC0128_zpsbab0b35e.jpg

KODC0129_zpsce62cbd5.jpg

Con Rod - WOW just WOW

KODC0132_zps43b03fe1.jpg

KODC0131_zps058a9b66.jpg

second piston

KODC0130_zps3a5e740f.jpg

Bits

KODC0139_zps3dc977c5.jpg

Crank

KODC0137_zpsdef32805.jpg

Looks like the clutch needed replacing though - on the rivets

KODC0121_zps2bc341be.jpg

So there you go this is what happens when you don't use 99 and stick cheap fuel in :lol:

• Like 3

This is really awesome to see. Congrats on having your zed back on the road Matt. You must have been beaming on the drive back home :teeth:

Massive kudos to the zed shed team. I don't know any other community who would give up their time to help a fellow member like this. You guys rock!

So there you go this is what happens when you don't use 99 and stick cheap fuel in :lol:

What fuel do you suggest to use Keyser? Is Tesco momentum 99 any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anything that's 99 RON mate. Most of us here use either Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum :thumbs:

What fuel do you suggest to use Keyser? Is Tesco momentum 99 any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anything that's 99 RON mate. Most of us here use either Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum :thumbs:

Brill :-) I've only ever used momentum99 since I've had my zed :D

Just got back from the garage and she flew through the MOT so Matt is on the Road again :thumbs:

With reference to my "don't use standard fuel" there was a touch of sarcasm in there :lol:

Any 99 fuel is good - this was caused by hammering the bollocks off your car round track and trying to keep up with a supercharged Zed (Andy James) while in an NA Zed.

However I didn't want Matt to think I was implying his driving in any way had been the cause of the resultant pile of metal that was once an engine ;)

• Like 2

Just got back from the garage and she flew through the MOT so Matt is on the Road again :thumbs:

With reference to my "don't use standard fuel" there was a touch of sarcasm in there :lol:

Any 99 fuel is good - this was caused by hammering the bollocks off your car round track and trying to keep up with a supercharged Zed (Andy James) while in an NA Zed.

However I didn't want Matt to think I was implying his driving in any way had been the cause of the resultant pile of metal that was once an engine ;)

Was it actually something he did? Or was it just one of those things?

Was it actually something he did? Or was it just one of those things?

Now that's a hard one to answer if only because I don't like to miss an opportunity to take t pi$$ out of Grundy :lol:

So my completely unprofessional opinion after hearing the events and stripping the engine is -

A set of circumstances that resulted in catastrophic engine failure,

Both the big end and crank shells show signs of wear, given that the car has done 70K some wear is to be expected, it appears that there was plenty of oil in the engine when it let go as it was everywhere when we stripped it.

So take a hot day and then push the engine to the max and things get stressed the hotter the engine the tighter things run, the condition of the oil will also become a factor and the heat will mean it is thinning, add that to the possibility of oil starvation caused by hard cornering and anyone of those things can be the cause.

I can tell you that piston 1 - the one that is now in bits was the point of failure or at least it's shell bearing was - It has run so hot that the crank is blackened from the heat, I would assume that it eventually split or welded itself to the crank at that point all that power and the weight of a big car has to go somewhere - in this case through the No1 con rod which first bent then broke causing at least one of the holes in the side, from then on it was bits of big end and piston being beaten around the inside of the engine that did the rest of the bottom end damage, the now jammed piston at some point hit the valve resulting in a hole in the piston and a bent valve.

So did Matt do it - The only thing I can see he may have done is over rev on the downshift - He did say there were some very noisy V8's out on track so hearing your own engine was not easy but whether or not he did I think that engine would have gone regardless and I would blame oil - remember there is no oil temp sensor in a 350 and most of us look at the track more than the pressure gauge etc. I could boil the oil in my 350 on a hot day on track, I even fitted twin coolers to stop it.

So in summary I recon heavy use combined with over heated oil in a slightly worn engine and it went bang.

Let as all take solace in knowing we can still blame Grundy for it and whatever he says he was behind the wheel when it happened :p:lol:

• Like 1

So did Matt do it - The only thing I can see he may have done is over rev on the downshift - He did say there were some very noisy V8's out on track so hearing your own engine was not easy but whether or not he did I think that engine would have gone regardless and I would blame oil

Shall I send you the in car video of it happening? I still have it as grundy hasn't been to see me yet to collect the SD card :p

• Like 1

So did Matt do it - The only thing I can see he may have done is over rev on the downshift - He did say there were some very noisy V8's out on track so hearing your own engine was not easy but whether or not he did I think that engine would have gone regardless and I would blame oil

Shall I send you the in car video of it happening? I still have it as grundy hasn't been to see me yet to collect the SD card :p

:lol:

He said now he had a car he was going to collect it and burn the evidence :lol:

No not really - he did say he would post it up when he got a chance - be interesting to see what happened though :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

:lol:

He said now he had a car he was going to collect it and burn the evidence :lol:

No not really - he did say he would post it up when he got a chance - be interesting to see what happened though :thumbs:

Looking at the pictures, I'm glad it's a deep bay. I tried to reach down to pick up a piece of metal to try and work out where it had come from but couldn't reach, pretty sure my hand would have been damaged :lol: