Cowboy gas man - advice needed

chirag1988

Ok guys I need some advice here please.

I have a property rented out and recently the boiler went pop and my tenants were left with no hot water or central heating.

I put up an ad on Rated People and I had a text the following morning from someone who was able to do the job. I met him at the property and he inspected it and tried to get it going but said it was definitely dead and needed replacing. This I didn't mind as the boiler was over 15 years old anyway and I see a new boiler as more of an investment (although it was still a heavy hit at £1350 inc installation).

The guy seemed genuine and said he would give me a 2 year service plan along with it and any problems I have with it over the next 2 years he will come and fix for nothing. He also said he'll provide me a gas safety certificate for lettings for the next 2 years as well. It all sounded good to me, and I desperately needed a boiler installed for my tenants ASAP.

So the guy came and did the work and I agreed to pay him £600 for the boiler itself and the remainder upon completion of the job. I went back to check on it once it was done and it all looked fine to me, central heating and hot water was working. He called Gas Safe while I was there and registered the boiler and the installation and said he will write up the certificate and the invoice and the necessary paperwork and give it to me in the next few days.

This all sounded fine and I paid him the rest of the amount via a bank transfer.

Since then the tenant called to say the pressure was dropping and I called the guy back out again and he noticed there was a leak from one of the joints and he would come back and fix it the next day.

Next day came and my tenant messaged me to say he hadn't come yet. So I called him and no answer, texted him and no reply. He eventually did come the day after and sorted it.

However a few days later my tenant called me again saying that there had been an almighty leak from one of the pipes below the boiler and the place was just getting soaked! I tried calling the guy multiple times and he just wouldn't answer my calls or reply to my texts. So I rushed down to the house myself, and luckily I have some plumbing experience so I was able to drain down the system, replace the pipe and get it going again.

The guy texted me at midnight saying he just picked up my messages and calls. I called him the following morning and explained what had happened and he said it's because the existing pipework is old and he said he would go down and inspect it again.

A week later and he's not been back and 2 days ago there was another leak and this guy just completely ignoring my calls! I had to get another plumber in to come and fix it and he did it in 10mins!

I've texted this guy saying how I'm not happy with his conduct and I have had to replace the carpet as it's become completely waterlogged from the leaking as well. He keeps fobbing me off saying he's busy and he will call me at such and such time but never does and whenever I call him he doesn't answer.

I've said to him if he doesn't call me by 12pm today I will be reporting it to the police as he is withholding documents owed to me and also he has taken money from me for a job commitment which he hasn't fulfilled. I'll also be seeking legal action for damages caused to my property.

At this stage I only have his contact number, and I have had a letter from Gas Safe register confirming registration of the boiler and his Gas Safe number. I'm thinking I can get his details if I call Gas Safe and also I'm sure Rated People will have his details as well.

Can anyone shed some light as to what I can do to go about seeking any compensation or take this further legally (without having to employ a high priced solicitor)?

Is there anything I can do on my own here?

Thanks,

Chirag

We had a problem with our bathroom radiator and took ages for our plumber to sort it like 5 weeks and hes our regular one. Could be he is flat stick as its that time of year and just disorganised so would lean towards giving the benefit of doubt but would follow up with Gas Safe just in case and see if they have any advice. Certainly telling him that you will call the police would not positively motivate - probably have the reverse effect and the Police will not be interested as no crime has taken place. Speak to your local trading standards first. Does sounds a poor job so does need to be rectified and I would probably get it fixed and take the hit as you have a duty of care to your tenants and the last thing you want is going tits up over Chrismas when they charge quadruple time for work. Document everything and keep all associated receipts but be prepared to pay up first to remedy then claim back as you cannot claim compensation until the issue is fixed ?

Edited by Mudman

I've managed to get the problem solved with the other plumber so it's all working fine now. My tenants have not given me any trouble and I felt really bad myself for them not having the basic needs to that part is sorted now.

I didn't want to resort to telling him about the legal action and police, but it's really getting to that stage now. He's just point blank ignoring me and I find it highly rude and unprofessional for someone I've paid a large sum of money to.

Just want to know what I can do to get back what's owed to me...

Police won't care, it's a civil matter.

Speak to Gas Safe in the first instance for the certs, and then it's up to you whether you want to challenge him through the courts. Personally I think it'll cost more than it's worth in both time and money, however I also know I'd be incredibly p*ssed off if I were in your boots.

• Like 1

Firstly I'd avoid using rated people or check a trade to start with, I'm a trader and won't get involved with them ( nor will any other decent traders I know).

The police will tell you it's a civil matter so that will be a waste of time. I'd just go straight to gas safe and report to them what's happened. I wouldn't bother with trying court action as its costly, just put it down to a bad experience.

I have to say that over the last year updating our new home and managing our rented flat, Gas Safe plumbers have been the most difficult trade to get interested and get hold of even when you have made contact and they are ones that have come recommended from neighbours etc. I would never ever use a trade that feels the need to advertise or is on a supposed approved traders list. There does seem something lacking with the Gas Safe system in terms of getting someone you can trust and is relaible, and this thread only serves to confirm that view.

In fact it as made me feel that being Gas Safe registered is like those who buy letters to put after their name - not worth the paper it is written on.

• Like 1

Aye, Gas Safe plumbers are a lore unto themselves, I know 3 personally and even they are a bloody nightmare to actually get to turn up, one stood me up one afternoon, rebooked for the next morning, stood me up again, rebooked for the afternoon and stood me up again. Finished up calling 2 weeks later to see if I was "about" as he had a free afternoon.

The best bit? I went to school with his daughter, Ive know him and his family for about 30 years. What hope have you got with a random plumber? :lol:

You didn't do yourself any favours by threatening to call the police. The guy probably thinks that you are a nutter now.

How much are you looking to claim from this guy? So far it appears that you have lost the second plumber's fee and the carpet. Will it be worth the bother suing the guy over that?

I have to say that over the last year updating our new home and managing our rented flat, Gas Safe plumbers have been the most difficult trade to get interested and get hold of even when you have made contact and they are ones that have come recommended from neighbours etc. I would never ever use a trade that feels the need to advertise or is on a supposed approved traders list. There dies seem something lacking with the Gas Safe system in terms of getting someone you can trust and is relaible, and this thread only serves to confirm that view.

In fact it as made me feel that being Gas Safe registered is like those who buy letters to put after their name - not worth the paper it is written on.

That's ashame Colin, we are members on Checkatrade and has been fantastic for the customers and for ourselves. Great way for us to generate extra work and for the customer to read other customers reviews on us as a company/workmanship. As you say best way to get work is by word of mouth/recommendation from friends but if you cannot get a trade via this then checkatrade or similar would be my next best bet!

Sorry to go off topic :) Chirag I do hope you can find a resolution that you are happy with, sounds like you had a crap experience. Don't know how rated people work exactly but worth raising this issue with them asap.

• Like 1

You didn't do yourself any favours by threatening to call the police. The guy probably thinks that you are a nutter now.

How much are you looking to claim from this guy? So far it appears that you have lost the second plumber's fee and the carpet. Will it be worth the bother suing the guy over that?

It got to the point where I had no choice mate, this guy was just point blank ignoring me and I wanted to get some sort of response.

I know it's not worth suing the guy over it, but I just want to at least get my gas safety certificate and installation documents off him. I don't care about the 2-year service plan he offered me, he can go and do one. I want to try and get some sort of reimbursement or compensation for the carpet, etc, and just wanted to know if there are any steps I can take, or throw some legal jargon at him to rattle him a bit to come to a resolution.

To be honest I'm just massively p*ssed off at the cost I've had to bear and the fact that after all that I've been let down by a so-called "professional".

To be honest £1300 for a boiler install isn't bad. It is possible (If the old boiler was fitted as 'an open system' and now that you've had a sealed system boiler installed it could well have caused the system to spring a few leaks as it's now under extra pressure. It's not necessarily down to poor workmanship, that being said it is pretty poor that he hasn't come back to fix the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if someone wants to work with gas appliances they HAVE to register with Gas Safe - tampering with gas equipment and not being registered is prosecutable

saying that - I would never use someone that I hadn't researched - but when you're in desperate need.....

as mentioned by others, dealing with Gas Safe can be problematic in its own right

best of luck

To be honest £1300 for a boiler install isn't bad. It is possible (If the old boiler was fitted as 'an open system' and now that you've had a sealed system boiler installed it could well have caused the system to spring a few leaks as it's now under extra pressure. It's not necessarily down to poor workmanship, that being said it is pretty poor that he hasn't come back to fix the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a like for like combi boiler replacement. I know £1300 is not a bad price for installation, but it's still a large chunk to outlay especially around this time of the year. It's not so much the money spent that I'm complaining about, it's the poor conduct from the guy who installed it and not being true to his word.

if someone wants to work with gas appliances they HAVE to register with Gas Safe - tampering with gas equipment and not being registered is prosecutable

saying that - I would never use someone that I hadn't researched - but when you're in desperate need.....

as mentioned by others, dealing with Gas Safe can be problematic in its own right

best of luck

I managed to get details of his registered company by calling gas safe register and an email address and alternative contact number. Will try to get in touch with him via other means.

Try to get the paperwork from him first, don't mention the damage yet. He might be more cooperative if he thinks that he can get away with it. Don't threaten to call the police/her majesty/your mates etc. Unpleasantries just make him more likely to ignore you.

The guy clearly doesn't give a frak, so will take a while whatever you do, so be patient.

If you have his address it might be worth it turning up to see him in person. He can't ignore you if you are standing right next to him. Just don't try to intimidate him etc.

• Like 1

Pipe work leaking when changing from an open system to a sealed system is common.

Gas safe won't be interested in something like this unfortunately.

In my opinion you only get what you pay for and £1300 installed isn't going to get you much. A decent boiler would cost just short of that alone. What type of boiler is installed, a saber or alpha?

I worked as a gas supervisor for many years and have plenty of experience with this sort of stuff. For me to do a boiler change it would set you back £500-£1000 just in labour costs. However with this cost the job gets done correctly with no hollow promises and no disappointment. That old saying still stands with regards to buy cheap- pay twice