Project: NAIVE

nels0n

Hey guys,

So your probably asking already why the name? Well quick story as im sure some of you are aware ive had a terrible start to zed life!

My names Craig and im 26 from Swansea, South Wales. Ive always had this itch for a zed that i wanted to scratch and after my unfortunate bottom end went on my Nissan Silvia S15 i thought what better time than now!

So i started to have a look for one and wanted the dark grey and with the GT pack. I thought great found one in Birmingham (but this made me feel a little un easy due to the rep Birmingham seems to have selling cars) But being NAIVE i thought lets at least go take a look, so i dragged my friend to take me up (3 hour drive). We arrived and obviously i got excited it was sat on the drive and looking gorgeous (apart from the gash carbon wrap bonnet and stripes on the side which btw have started to grow on me lol). I inspected the car and looks wise it looked great and underneath looked great. I asked to be taken out for a test drive and the sound of that car just had me going! But again no strange noises everything was great.

We negotiated a bit and it was originally up for £5000 and i got it for £4100. It took a bit to get him there so i thought great genuine guy. I drove it home again 3 hours and not a peep and a phenomenal drive home. Stopped at a mates to have a cup of tea and then driving back to my own house i heard a pop and the mother of all knocks and the oil light was on. I thought surely not no way but it sounded identical to the silvia. I pulled over checked the dip stick and low and behold it was as dry as gandi's daps! I thought just out of misery ill throw some oil in but no nothing still knocking. The bottom end had gone on this. Thats two in two weeks!

I phoned the guy back up and said mate did you not even top the oil up and he said "oh dont worry about that noise ive had it before just top it up with oil and it goes" to which i screamed some expletives saying "i wouldn't have bought the car if id have known that!" - But that is another story and another post which is finished. So to sum it up, i took for granted that someone owning a car like this would have stayed on top of all the maintenance but this is where Project: NAIVE came in. I SHOULD of checked this myself when i was there but didnt.

So moving forward and having a big think. Im hopefully sorting a new engine in the next week or so and will begin to fix it. Plus this community was to fantastic to just stay away from, made me feel right at home straight away! So i felt sorry for zed sitting in the drive today so pulled out the cleaning gear and gave it a mini make over. More to come soon!

2014_11_29_14_35_10.jpg

2014_11_29_13_42_32.jpg

2014_11_29_14_35_29.jpg

Good for you, and it will be well worth it in the end. The zed will put a big smile on your face when it's all sorted, all the more so because you would have got it there.

If there are any questions you have shout out and the gang will provide answers.

And gents let's not dig up the past again, this is all about moving forward and getting the zed sorted. Onwards and upwards and good luck.

• Like 1

Good luck with everything mate and its nice to see you're planning on fixing it back up again. It looks like a nice example from the pics and its just unfortunate it has engine problems! I love the Nismo graphics but not too keen on the carbon wrapped bonnet either tbh lol.

Hi Craig FairPlay to you mate, good luck with your build, as things progress you will soon forget about engine troubles. Apart from the issue you mentioned she looks like a nice example, once you've sourced a replacement engine things can only move up :thumbs:

Look forward to reading your progress, enjoy your zed once she's sorted. They really are great cars

ps we're not all sharks in Brum, ;)

Well done in keeping your chin up. As I said in the other thread, it looks like a nice car - the Nismo stripes are great BTW :)

You should eventually have plenty of win with a good fixed/replacement engine, and as you picked the car up for a bargain, not much harm's been done :thumbs:

Sooo a small update for you...

The new heart is here!! Massive thank you to shades rs top guy! 40k miles on it super clean!

Will post more as we swap them over :)

Quick question best gearbox oil to use?

e98360370e478a30f84238a2df8ab6ed.jpg

Edited by nels0n

Best of luck with the engine swap, a few hours in a garage should see you right as rain.

are you doing anything with the clutch and flywheel while the engine is out? if the original is past 60,000 miles it might be worth doing while the engine is out?

Hi mate thanks for the kind words! I'm not sure what the condition of the clutch is in the car at the moment but have one prepped in case.

I'd like to do the flywheel but I have no budget for it unfortunately!