Just bought a 350z...Knocking Engine...

nels0n

But whats the point of the law if the land doesn't enforce it and you have to do it yourself. I am sure if it was a celeb or someone of some importance the police would have been all over it but for joe public its not worth the time and resource. Huge differences in the police approach depending on who you are. The law is a joke, anyone that has been in that position knows it is.

I agree completeley. You're right there. It's mad that the stuff you can probably write-off is the stuff you could chase down if you made the effort. But the really serious stuff is put into the hands of the cops, CPS etc. who might not be as interested in it.

Conversely, you might have a civil case that could be easily proved in your favour by a fingerprint or DNA but you don't have access to that machinery.

As for the OP, ideally he'd find some conversation online where the seller asked about knocking engines and how to offload them. Without that, he could take the chance of bringing him into a smalls claim court and hoping he performed badly. Longshot.

Technically, I'm confused. Can you actually hide a knocking engine for a short while? Is it the old sawdust thing?

If the op does not have the lingual skills to call up the seller then perhaps someone in a position of legal authority could do so and convey that they will most certainly be taking the situation to the next level, which in no uncertain terms may end in at least court Summons or worse if the said seller already has a criminal conviction of similar circumstances.

Sometimes it's who you know.

I bought a car once the seller had said the EML came on but it was fixed, on the way home an hour into the drive the EML came on, I immediately called the seller and told him the car was coming straight back for a refund with no question.

I suggest you at least try the no nonsense return method first.

Good luck I hope there is a good outcome for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the op does not have the lingual skills to call up the seller then perhaps someone in a position of legal authority could do so and convey that they will most certainly be taking the situation to the next level, which in no uncertain terms may end in at least court Summons or worse if the said seller already has a criminal conviction of similar circumstances.

There is no 'next level'. This was a private sale, the OP didn't do anything like due diligence on the car, and they've bought an absolute snotter. Caveat emptor. There is no right of return, no reason for the seller to give any refund or even a partial refund. The contract is completed and appears to be completely legal.

If I was the seller, and received such a phone call, I would have to think very carefully about my reply. I mean, once I'd finished laughing of course.

Just because the guy you bought from gave you your money back, doesn't mean that he legally had to do so.

Edited by Ekona

I agree there is probably no legal stance and the buyer should have used a mechanic etc to check over the car, however it would still be worth trying to convince or persuade the seller that he has a legal or moral responsibility to help.

Ekona do you know the seller by any chance?

Loving the suggestion of going and beating someone after youve bought a car with a CEL and then driven it 3 hours without checking the oil, if it was my doorstep you arrived at Id be tempted to get the first punch in. :lol:

Even if the seller knew there was a problem he wont admit it now, this is unfortunately one of lifes learning experiences. And as for celebs, do you think they would put through an emergency bill of parliament if Peter Andre bought a Mondeo and the head gasket went? Theres nothing illegal happened here, just bad luck :(

• Like 1

I agree there is probably no legal stance and the buyer should have used a mechanic etc to check over the car, however it would still be worth trying to convince or persuade the seller that he has a legal or moral responsibility to help.

Dan sold it to him :lol:

• Like 1

Dan sold it to him :lol:

Check the tyres, if they're mixed all round it's defo bought from Dan :lol:

Im not the type to throw punches...lets just say that...

Secondly this is a lesson learnt, i took his words for granted when he said his mechanic said the EML was on due to decats. Yes i should of checked the oil but again youd think driving one of these the previous owner would of kept on top of this, if it was a "genuine sale" but then since ive been there hes blocked me off everything.

Go figure right?

The frustrating part was i went to take an OBD reader with me and forgot about it. But lesson learnt, thanks for your imput on this guys :)

Probably wont be able to afford another z so maybe in the future, but for those 3 hours it was one of the best drives ive had, better than my S15 by miles!

This truly is a nightmare. Whether you're kicking yourself for not being more savvy or whether you were and was just ripped off. Either way, leaves you with a nasty taste in your mouth. I feel for you. If you're stuck with it, make the best of a bad situation. Find a donor engine and polish that dream true. Best of luck to you.... and a little more.

Edited by Rock_Steady

isnt Shades on here selling a complete peach of an engine with only 45k on the clock for a grand??? - go for it I would as the rest of the car seems nice. Even if you cant fit it yet due to financial matters, keep it in your garage until you can.

• Like 4

isnt Shades on here selling a complete peach of an engine with only 45k on the clock for a grand??? - go for it I would as the rest of the car seems nice. Even if you cant fit it yet due to financial matters, keep it in your garage until you can.

Point well made :thumbs:

My problem being is i dont feel i know enough about these cars yet, id love to get a new engine in it, the noise that engine made from the first mile i drove it kept a grin on my face the whole way home! I am half tempted to keep it covered and save for an engine but its how much it would be to get it swapped.

Like i know i could of swapped my SR20DET engine for about 700 quid in the s15, i know its a different ball game but an overall price to have in mind would be nice.

I'm not sure you have much choice at this point. It's either about £1500 to get an engine swapped in, or you've got a dead car there that's not worth peanuts as it stands.

I think you'd be best off to get the engine sorted, dump the cost on a 0% credit card then just enjoy it.

• Like 2

My problem being is i dont feel i know enough about these cars yet, id love to get a new engine in it, the noise that engine made from the first mile i drove it kept a grin on my face the whole way home! I am half tempted to keep it covered and save for an engine but its how much it would be to get it swapped.

Like i know i could of swapped my SR20DET engine for about 700 quid in the s15, i know its a different ball game but an overall price to have in mind would be nice.

I could always send you a sound recording of my Zed? :shrug: (sorry that was a bit harsh)

Seriously sort the engine out. Like the one on the forum, get that, swap it in, Bob's you're uncle.

Edited by Wasso