Just bought a 350z...Knocking Engine...

nels0n

Soooo ive bought the car driven it home, no gripes at all, noticed literally as i got home the oil light on the dash come on...i noticed pressure was at about 30 all the way home.

Heres a video on the engine noise, i think i know what it is...ive put oil in it and still there...but noticed oil pressure is higher now?

Watch from about 16 seconds when i rev the car..i have read about similar issues with the fuel damper? but the oil light to come on and then knocking im guessing bearings.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ukXO71uz6xM

Thanks in advance guys!

i d agree with what you already seem to know...bottom end bearings........once the oil light comes on it s all over i am affraid.

Yeah i guessed that as well mate, well my 350z ownership has been less than 24 hours lol.

That’s bottom end for sure. Mate honestly i remember buying a vw corrado my first car and driving it home it made the same noise. I bought the car from Bournemouth and stopped at a petrol station as it was getting louder on drive home. A guy in a lorry jumped out at me screaming 'shut the engine off!!! Before it blows a rod through the block!!' The lorry driver checked it and asked was the car noisy when i bought it... i said no. He said it was an old trick of putting banana peel in the engine to gunk up the bearings long enough to be silent for the test drive..

In all honestly i called a bunch of mates and family and went back to guy’s house. Threatened to whoop his ass right there and then if i did not get money back. Brother punched him and after he got off the ground he gave my money back and petrol money for taking the ****. As sold as seen receipt to me meant nothing if your pulling a fast one selling a car with obvious problem.

Either go back and sort it or lump it and pay for new engine or bottom end rebuild... both will be expensive.

Edited by jbrunouk

Well thanks for confirming guys, im so disheartend lately with cars, i drove a nissan silvia s15 before that and the bottom end went now this! Curiosity how much are the engines fitted these days?

It was the best drive home of a car ive ever had so would be so sad to leave it now.

Dude stop wasting time on here and get some lads together and go see him to get your money back !!!! What a sly git .

Hope you get it sorted

Im trying the reasonable approach with him first see what he says lol

Although to me the video noise is not conclusive, it doesn't sound like a rhythmic knock, but by your description I would say you have problems, as said take it back.

Heres another video of the noise, this isnt my car its off youtube but its exactly the same noise

Nels0n, You honestly think a guy who went so far to conceal such a problem will respond to 'reasonable approach' he is most likely happy he has got away with it. Its simple just get some people and go right back, i dunno how far you drove the car to get home but best to give the sod the car back and take your cash.

Simple as really, otherwise you will just need to buy an engine and an engine for the zed is not cheap!! also fitting a second hand engine can be a lottery as well....only way to BE SURE the engine is 100% is to get rebuilt and use the correct oil, service it regular from the off... but again expensive.

So ball is in your court mate.

Not saying to kill the guy but be persuasive... and the guys will you will help with that!

Edited by jbrunouk

No point mate in trying to be nice about it ...... Your best chance of getting your money back is to go get it back ASAP. If he thinks there is nothing wrong with the car shake his hand say but you still want your money back and tell him I'm sure you'll find another buyer . There are plenty more cars out there that won't have any problems

Dude stop wasting time on here and get some lads together and go see him to get your money back !!!! What a sly git .

Hope you get it sorted

Im trying the reasonable approach with him first see what he says lol

Although to me the video noise is not conclusive, it doesn't sound like a rhythmic knock, but by your description I would say you have problems, as said take it back.

Heres another video of the noise, this isnt my car its off youtube but its exactly the same noise

Ahh yes! that's conclusive, sounds like the oil was already dangerously low when you first drove it, and the pump started to pick up air as it was being driven and loose oil pressure...so by by bearings,the owner must have know that the oil was low, or it already had problems, check the viscosity of the oil that's in there, I am wondering if its had thicker oil in the mask the problem, bad luck fella, hope you get your money back.

It could well of been an honest sale! but the fact when i first messaged him and said the engine is knocking he said "Oh that happened before when the oil got to low for me i just topped it up and it was fine" i was like mate if you had of told me that i wouldnt of bought the car...

The service history shows i think it was 5w30 in there

Is there nothing else it could possibly be or "you just know that sound is a bottom end gone" like i knew with s15s?

Edited by nels0n

If this was me on the receiving end of this; agreed i would be doing a U-turn back up there, regardless if it would mean me getting back at early hours of the morning.

But, if i was the seller, and I had actually just sold you what i thought was a good car in good faith and you come knocking on my door at stupid o'clock asking for a refund, my response would be ''well it was fine when you drove it, you obviously broke it driving away'' and i would quite firmly tell you to pss off even if you brought your village with you.

theres always two sides. make sure you have the right one.

That aside, i am genuinely sorry for you. I would also be livid right now.

Pritchard

***edit, ah, you posted that above the same time as me. i guess we now know that this is unlikely to be good faith. more a get-rid-quick sale.

Edited by Pritchard

I would be absolutely livid but plan your approach carefully mate, going around there with a couple of mates can get nasty (he slams the door and rings up some bigger mates - If you tried that on with a few people I know back in Essex it would be a painful and short experience for you!) or you get the old bill rock up and cart you off. You can always escalate the issue from a reasonable start, its much more difficult to go in all mouth shouting and then de-escalate it to a resolution.

Chances are the guy has pulled a fast one - but its up to you to get that cash back (based on recent thread does trade descriptions apply here?) in the most effective way.

Yeah hes ignoring me at the moment...he said it was sold as seen and worked when he sold it...

Typical response...im so annoyed its a really nice car...how much is an engine swap these days?