Just bought a 350z...Knocking Engine...

nels0n

So I guess you a police officer ?

To be honest if someone had conned me out of my hard earned cash , and knowing the law could do nothing to help me I would certainly be trying to get my money back any way that I could . Worth the risk to get a caution from an officer , defiantly.

Or definitely?

To be honest if someone had conned me out of my hard earned cash , and knowing the law could do nothing to help me I would certainly be trying to get my money back any way that I could . Worth the risk to get a caution from an officer , defiantly.

Or definitely?

Yes I'm a thicko :)

• Like 1

You guess wrong :) Law student.

I am not actually trying to discourage OP from doing anything, I am just providing information to allow him to make an informed choice. You think that it is worth the risk, he might think differently.

• Like 1

Ya I'm just gutted for the op really ..... Although if the light was on when he bought it he really should have walked away . It's just very annoying with the laws .... People can get away with so much nowadays . I've been robbed so many times of my work equipment , I don't even phone the police anymore as they can't / won't do anything .

You guess wrong :) Law student.

I am not actually trying to discourage OP from doing anything, I am just providing information to allow him to make an informed choice. You think that it is worth the risk, he might think differently.

Flipping students !!

Only joking ...... Probably earn more than me already ;)

Ya I'm just gutted for the op really ..... Although if the light was on when he bought it he really should have walked away . It's just very annoying with the laws .... People can get away with so much nowadays . I've been robbed so many times of my work equipment , I don't even phone the police anymore as they can't / won't do anything .

Thats the law of proof - if there is an element of doubt they get away with it. I have had so many things happen to and around me over the years you do look at the law as a joke, I have heard many a senior policeman say you need 10 written sworn statements by priests and bishops to get a conviction nowadays (although even their integrity is often in doubt!). I got assaulted by a guy on the London underground, nothing serious he looked out of it, just shoved me in the chest for no reason, I held my nerve and just got off. Called the police afterwards and they wanted me to make a statement at a police station, I asked what would get done, and really apart from adding a 1 to the statistics nothing. I find law frustrating as it is hardly ever possible to implement it!

Anyway I digress!

Exactly its okay for Comrade to run off sections of blah blah that do nothing to help or assist in someone obviously taking the mick and going as far as stealing money from a person which is what this guy did as he gained from being dishonest and sold a dud.

But thousands of pounds are is not easy to let go of in this day and age, so the waft of sections this, section that to be honest is just noise... as people get away with all this becuase of they are protected by the same sections you mention!. Comrade please look into that book and find something that actually helps the situation...

Anyway........Nels0n. my example was awhile ago (hence owning a vw corrado). I did not know about the warning light etc. so you should have walked away as there are so many Zeds out there. I think learning from experience and sourcing a engine from a forum member who is breaking one or similar may be the best bet.

Life is a learning curve sometimes.

Got to be honest I don't think comrade ever sets out to 'help' or 'assist' anyone.

He sets out to make sure they ABSOLUTELY understand the facts of the law when they are contemplating a situation.

As far as I'm concerned his information has never been anything other then dead on balls accurate.

He never said to not go and stuff the guys teeth down his throat......he just pointed out what would happen if he does.

• Like 4

Exactly its okay for Comrade to run off sections of blah blah that do nothing to help or assist in someone obviously taking the mick and going as far as stealing money from a person which is what this guy did as he gained from being dishonest and sold a dud.

But thousands of pounds are is not easy to let go of in this day and age, so the waft of sections this, section that to be honest is just noise... as people get away with all this becuase of they are protected by the same sections you mention!. Comrade please look into that book and find something that actually helps the situation...

I am trying to help the OP, it is just that there is nothing here that will help him. The law is crystal clear. Private sale - your problem as soon as you hand over the cash, with very limited exceptions. The only way OP can get his money back is by proving misrepresentation. Misrepresentation is a false statement of fact. 'Car runs fine' is not a statement of fact, unless, possibly, coming from a professional mechanic. 'Car has no known issues' is a statement of fact, but in the OP's case the car did not have issues at the point of sale. If the seller said that the car never had any issues, then we would be onto something because the seller later admitted that it knocked before, but that is not what the seller said originally. Anyway, in the court the seller can just deny he ever said anything. Without recorded evidence it is irrelevant what he actually said.

The OP bought a Zed with over 100k, with a CEL and after the seller admitted they only carried out a basic service 18months ago. He got it for around £4k.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Tbh if you're not going to carry out the most basic of checks, then I struggling to find much sympathy.

• Like 5

The OP bought a Zed with over 100k, with a CEL and after the seller admitted they only carried out a basic service 18months ago. He got it for around £4k.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Tbh if you're not going to carry out the most basic of checks, then I struggling to find much sympathy.

Lol the auto trader advert in other words its never been issue since i got it serviced so i didnt service it again

Thats the law of proof - if there is an element of doubt they get away with it. I have had so many things happen to and around me over the years you do look at the law as a joke, I have heard many a senior policeman say you need 10 written sworn statements by priests and bishops to get a conviction nowadays (although even their integrity is often in doubt!). I got assaulted by a guy on the London underground, nothing serious he looked out of it, just shoved me in the chest for no reason, I held my nerve and just got off. Called the police afterwards and they wanted me to make a statement at a police station, I asked what would get done, and really apart from adding a 1 to the statistics nothing. I find law frustrating as it is hardly ever possible to implement it!

Anyway I digress!

Bit different if it goes down the civil route - the proof doesn't have to be 100%. 51 to 49 is enough in a civil case.

Perhaps the op could try to negotiate a part payment towards the new engine from the seller, after reading through the thread I think I would have to agree with Ekona especially if the dash light was on.

There is quite a lot of Zeds breaking out there,

Anyway I digress!

Bit different if it goes down the civil route - the proof doesn't have to be 100%. 51 to 49 is enough in a civil case.

But whats the point of the law if the land doesn't enforce it and you have to do it yourself. I am sure if it was a celeb or someone of some importance the police would have been all over it but for joe public its not worth the time and resource. Huge differences in the police approach depending on who you are. The law is a joke, anyone that has been in that position knows it is.