Anyone had any experience with a Lupo GTI

Bems

Been looking for a good clean clio 182 for a third/winter runaround. Missed out on a lovely low mileage gordini recently but been keeping my eye on Lupo GTI's for a while now. They seem to have a bit of a following so if you can find a decent low mileage example then values are solid. Maintenance should be cheap as it's a NA engined car and spares are plentiful. Seem to get good reviews too & personally I think they look great. Anyone had one or have friends who have owned one care to share experience.

Edited by Bems

My brother had one around 8 years ago..... Was a great fun little car that looks cracking and as you said hold there money now. The 172/182 would be quicker/ handle better though . I had a 172 cup and that was epic , pick them up real cheap . No abs though ..... One of the reasons I wrote mine off :(

A good mate of mine has one which he bought new and it is still going strong! Not had any bother with it so far. I know that he had fun and games replacing tyres with OE last time around, odd size and rare.

It's really chuckable and nibble, good fun too. My only moan with it was lack of air con, but then that doesn't bother him as when it's warm he just drives his lotus. The boot in the lupo is comical. Oh and the lights on it were really cool back in the day. It also revs high at speed as has a true 6 speed box.

Edited by robin c

Used to own the gti variant, rare cars now and hold there price.

Nippy for 125bhp come with zenons as well. Only reason I sold mine I went from forced induction to a Lupo missed the power.

Cracking to drive handle well.

I had custom roof lining

Custom straight through exhaust

Oil catch can and induction kit

Coilovers by kW

And Ronal turbo alloys

Red leather interior

260036_10150294443295030_701065029_9744949_297275_n.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG00953-20100830-1432.jpg

d64c9e7c-1.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to pick one of those over a 182.

182 hands down would be the betters drivers car & if a good one came up for sale real soon close by then I would go for one over the Lupo. Thinking longevity wise though the vw has better build quality, better residuals, cheaper tax blah blah so maybe a better owners prospect. It just so happens that an honest looking low mileage Lupo has came up for sale close by so hoping to view it in the next day or so. Would love a clio trophy but doesn't seem to be many of them for sale at all at the moment never mind trying to find a good one.

Edited by Bems

Yes I had a gti six speeder, cracking little cars aside from the driving position which personally I found to high. Go for a later six speed with heated leather.The xenons were brilliant and aside from my BMWs probably some of the best I've used.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Going to view it tomorrow morning. Has a few things on it I'd rather it didn't. Rear wiper delete, G60 wheels, lowered on some form of coilovers & had the bubbling rear spoiler. The owner has been very honest so far so worth a viewing. Would return the car to near stock if I bought it. It's a 54 plate with only 53k on the clock so a six speed. See how it goes :thumbs:

Edited by Bems
  • Like 1

So took the Lupo out for a test run. Mechanically she was sound. Started first time on first turn over from cold, gearbox was slick although had a long throw which I wasn't expecting. Handled like a go kart but coilovers of which I couldn't see what brand and the owner couldn't tell me were overly firm. He did say they were 5-6 years old and showing signs of rust. Good service history & recent rear brakes. Bodywork overall for a ten year old car was good although the rear spoiler had the common blistering and the tail light never worked. Interior was in good order. The drivers window dropped ok but only managed to get it closed 40mins later at the end of the test so possible motor fault. Was after £3999 but open to sensible offers. Never made an offer yet as right now it's a maybe. I would have to change the suspension fairly soon and the rear spoiler, tail light & driver window needs attention. Would also be looking to find some original wheels for it as the G60's look too boy racer for my liking. At the moment I'm thinkng no more than £3500 if I offer although I would say he'd probably hold out for more. He also has two mk 2 golfs. One had a g60 engine the other a 1.8T. Also a Nissan GTR with 700hp and his wife's car of which the Lupo was has a clio 200 cup with full reacaro's and rare grey colour which I can't remember the name of!

Edited by Bems

Not much of a guide but I sold my 02 with 120k miles for 2500.That was only last year as I acquired it for 1500 as part payment from someone who bought another car from me. A tidy profit for me and a bargain for the VW enthusiast that took it off my hands.3500 is a reasonable offer for a lower mileage car.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

It honestly drove well but ideally I'm looking for something that doesn't need work. The wife would probably kill me if I bought it then ended up spending hours sorting it :lol: that wasn't part of the deal!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/lupo/volkswagen-lupo-gti-125bhp-2004/2994385

Here she is. Also has a rear wiper delete so that's something else that would need attention.

Edited by Bems

Can't remember the weight of them, however I pushed mine out the garage once and totally forgot how light it was had to run after it to apply the hand brake.

The rear spoiler light is a fixed led type that fail due to the water, corrosion on the connections. I bought a complete unit for it wasn't cheap though.