GMballistic's Zed ~ Supercharged 2003 Gun Metal GT Coupe (Vids added)

GMballistic

Next up I decided to use some JDM red aluminium washers and stainless steel bolts to tidy up some of the engine bay by replacing the rusty Nissan OEM ones.

29_zps6c541c07.jpg

Made a nice difference looks wise but I was still more focused on trying to drag more power out of the old DE block so started planning my mods to do before an UpRev at Horsham Developments. :yahoo:

Despite the general consensus that an uprated panel filter is the best way to go for more power I did long for some induction noise and of course a bit more bling under the bonnet.

After researching various air induction kits available for the DE Zed I eventually decided on the "Stillen High Flow air induction kit" from Tarmac Sportz. The reason being that it was a nice looking kit which I thought was probably the best compromise between performance and looks with it's Polyurethane heat shield, K&N cone filter & venturi ring.

Great service from Chris at Tarmac Sportz and fitted it in good time despite my OCD for cleaning parts of the engine that I or anyone else would never ever see. :lol:

55_zps5e177c07.jpg

As the keen eyed among you will notice I also purchased some very nice carbon fibre bonnet lifters from the lovely, rather orange obsessed, 14N (Ian). :D

Not to mention fitted another Tarmac Sportz part in the form of a carbon fibre slam panel which luckily cost me nowt. Thanks Father Christmas, ...I mean thanks Dad. No my Dad is not Father Christmas but he is very generous at Christmas with a big belly so similar in some respects. :lol:

I also fitted a "Nismo" 1.3bar radiator cap but let's not talk about that as it was from eBay, cost me only £15 and so my suspicious mind suspected it maybe, ...just maybe not be a genuine Nismo product. :dry:

Next up I decided to use some JDM red aluminium washers and stainless steel bolts to tidy up some of the engine bay by replacing the rusty Nissan OEM ones.

29_zps6c541c07.jpg

Made a nice difference looks wise but I was still more focused on trying to drag more power out of the old DE block so started planning my mods to do before an UpRev at Horsham Developments. :yahoo:

Despite the general consensus that an uprated panel filter is the best way to go for more power I did long for some induction noise and of course a bit more bling under the bonnet.

After researching various air induction kits available for the DE Zed I eventually decided on the "Stillen High Flow air induction kit" from Tarmac Sportz. The reason being that it was a nice looking kit which I thought was probably the best compromise between performance and looks with it's Polyurethane heat shield, K&N cone filter & venturi ring.

Great service from Chris at Tarmac Sportz and fitted it in good time despite my OCD for cleaning parts of the engine that I or anyone else would never ever see. :lol:

55_zps5e177c07.jpg

As the keen eyed among you will notice I also purchased some very nice carbon fibre bonnet lifters from the lovely, rather orange obsessed, 14N (Ian). :D

Not to mention fitted another Tarmac Sportz part in the form of a carbon fibre slam panel which luckily cost me nowt. Thanks Father Christmas, ...I mean thanks Dad. No my Dad is not Father Christmas but he is very generous at Christmas with a big belly so similar in some respects. :lol:

I also fitted a "Nismo" 1.3bar radiator cap but let's not talk about that as it was from eBay, cost me only £15 and so my suspicious mind suspected it maybe, ...just maybe not be a genuine Nismo product. :dry:

Looking good mate!

Keep on with the pics

• Like 1

Awesome dude!!

You have been a great customer over the last year and a really good advert for Tarmac Sportz with your links to the website etc so as way of a thank you I want to give you a £50 store voucher and Tarmac Sportz Tshirt

If there's something you need between now and Xmas give me a holler and I will sort it out for you :thumbs:

Many thanks Chris

That is awesome Chris, :yahoo: ....and I know exactly what I'm after although I was waiting for something but I'll PM you now to let you know. :D

Thanks. :thumbs:

Great write up Gareth. Keep up the good work . :thumbs:

Cheers Will. :teeth:

Tarmac, if you start selling detailing gear as well you'll be able to retire before next Christmas just from GM's business alone. :lol:

Gareth, enough with the teasing, we want the money shot already! :lol: Good write up mate. :thumbs:

Thanks Matt ~ I like a bit of foreplay so thought I'd keep it going for a bit longer plus it's been a busy year for my Zed & me. ;)

B)

Think we will have to have a meet soon so we can see this ;)

Definitely one day. :)

Those gauges I got from you Ian work a treat btw. Can't stop looking at them which could be a driving hazard. :surrender: So thanks for that. :lol:

Will be posting pictures of them when I get that far in. :thumbs:

So with the car looking pretty good imo....

e6265831-9790-44e6-8702-30c81e8d9337_zps08cbd1dc.jpg

..I then decided to bite the bullet and book my UpRev with Jez at Horsham Developments to try for a little more power.

My plans involved getting them to fit a Horsham Developments plenum spacer, new oil filter, change all the fluids: oil, power steering, brake, diff oil, coolant, gearbox oil & add Molyslip plus add my magnetic sump plug. I also asked Jez to give the car a full inspection to check for anything I had missed when I inspected it myself when purchasing the car 4 months earlier.

It's around 1.5hrs to Chieveley from where I live and as I had asked H.Dev to do so much I was going to have to leave my Zed with them. I booked a week off work, dropping the car off Monday with a Friday pick up booked.

All was going well but then Jez phoned mid week to say my banana arm bushes where not very well and that I needed new front brake pads (worn on inside where I could not see them), ....oh and my front discs had more lip than Janice Dickinson after lip augmentation. :blink:

I decided on the SuperPro bush kit, EBC Turbo discs & Ferodo DS2500 pads in the end. B)

EBC Turbo discs, ...and Ferodo pads, SuperPro bushes but you can't see them obviously.

47_zps22dfbc45.jpg

Horsham Plenum spacer ~ not as pretty as a Wasso one but does the same job.

46_zpsfac9f2bd.jpg

I was extremely pleased with the work Jez & Craig had performed on my car especially the UpRev which I felt made a big difference especially in the first few gears. Result from the dyno below:

238_zpsa13c467c.jpg

More to follow... :thumbs:

As most people who use this forum will be aware it's hard sometimes not to want what others have bought and after reading several threads about wheel spacers I was now starting to seriously consider getting some for my Zed. :dry:

I contacted Mitz from The Cougar Store to discuss it ~ Mitz is a great guy, super helpful and very knowledgeable when it comes to Zeds imo.

With the price of spacers plus a full set of new tyre's which I knew I would be needing very soon I started to wonder if I could get some sort of alloy wheel package deal to kill two birds with one stone & negate the need for wheel spacers at all.

I also enjoy reading lot's of the other member's build thread's and one in particular that I really enjoy is Scott_f91 "Project Zed". He's done some great styling mod's to his Zed imo and I really loved the new alloy's that he bought for his Gun Metal Zed which where Rota Grids in matt bronze.

After discussing it with Scott and nagging him for some different pictures I eventually started discussing prices with Mitz and tried to see if he was able to sort me out a wheel & tyre package as I just wanted to fit them without the hassle of taking them somewhere to get tyre's fitted afterwards.

A deal was done and so I bought 19" Rota Grids in "steel grey". B) Thanks again Mitz. ;)

Offset: ET20

Front: 19 x 9.5J with 245/35/19 tyres (Falken 453)

69_zps91b4c395.jpg

Rear: 19 x 10.5J with 275/35/19 tyres (Falken 453)

76_zps9dc7aa72.jpg

Oh and before anyone mentions it yes my Zed looks very high in the pics but I had literally just fitted the alloys so the suspension hadn't settled yet ~ it does sit lower nowadays although lowering springs or coilovers are still on the cards some day. :D

70_zpsee424700.jpg

I also did a small mod whilst I was at it so I could carry my chrome 4 way wheel wrench without it rattling around in the boot. Patent pending so no copying. :p:lol:

80_zps621430ad.jpg

More to follow...

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 8

Interesting write up pal, looking forward to this progressing. Can't wait until the Wales meet with all these s/c zeds.

Loud would be one word I would use to describe a run out with a charged zed :thumbs:

Thanks. ;)

Definitely need to do a tunnel run in convoy I think to truly appreciate the sound. B):D

• Like 1

Scott_f91 "Project Zed". He's done some great styling mod's to his Zed imo and I really loved the new alloy's that he bought for his Gun Metal Zed which where Rota Grids in black.

Thanks a lot man! :) Though I have Matt Bronze ;):p

Loving the progress on your zed mate. Really good work! As others have said... keep it coming! :)

• Like 1

As most people who use this forum will be aware it's hard sometimes not to want what others have bought and after reading several threads about wheel spacers I was now starting to seriously consider getting some for my Zed. :dry:

I contacted Mitz from The Cougar Store to discuss it ~ Mitz is a great guy, super helpful and very knowledgeable when it comes to Zeds imo.

With the price of spacers plus a full set of new tyre's which I knew I would be needing very soon I started to wonder if I could get some sort of alloy wheel package deal to kill two birds with one stone & negate the need for wheel spacers at all.

I also enjoy reading lot's of the other member's build thread's and one in particular that I really enjoy is Scott_f91 "Project Zed". He's done some great styling mod's to his Zed imo and I really loved the new alloy's that he bought for his Gun Metal Zed which where Rota Grids in black.

After discussing it with Scott and nagging him for some different pictures I eventually started discussing prices with Mitz and tried to see if he was able to sort me out a wheel & tyre package as I just wanted to fit them without the hassle of taking them somewhere to get tyre's fitted afterwards.

A deal was done and so I bought 19" Rota Grids in "steel grey". B) Thanks again Mitz. ;)

Offset: ET20

Front: 19 x 9.5J with 245/35/19 tyres (Falken 453)

69_zps91b4c395.jpg

Rear: 19 x 10.5J with 275/35/19 tyres (Falken 453)

76_zps9dc7aa72.jpg

Oh and before anyone mentions it yes my Zed looks very high in the pics but I had literally just fitted the alloys so the suspension hadn't settled yet ~ it does sit lower nowadays although lowering springs or coilovers are still on the cards some day. :D

70_zpsee424700.jpg

I also did a small mod whilst I was at it so I could carry my chrome 4 way wheel wrench without it rattling around in the boot. Patent pending so no copying. :p:lol:

80_zps621430ad.jpg

More to follow...

liking the thread :thumbs: like the wheel wrench mod gonna have to borrow that idea ;)
  • Like 1

You still selling then or have you decided to keep it? :dry:

No, still selling at the moment.. Going to ramp up the advertising to PH this week. As I've said in my other post, I don't want to sell it but want the money invested in it to do other things with my life :( you never know, something might crop up where I don't need to sell it and I'm hoping it does!

• Like 1

Scott_f91 "Project Zed". He's done some great styling mod's to his Zed imo and I really loved the new alloy's that he bought for his Gun Metal Zed which where Rota Grids in black.

Thanks a lot man! :) Though I have Matt Bronze ;):p

Loving the progress on your zed mate. Really good work! As others have said... keep it coming! :)

Doh!. :lol: Have edited it now to read matt bronze. ;)B)

I'll update as often as I can, ..almost at the good stuff now. :kicking:

• Like 2