how much oil does the 350z use?

kellz3-3

Yeah mine uses too ... 03 JDM 'DE - as she's not my daily, I haven't quite figured out how much - but I do check her each time (ish) and have had to top her up a smidge - maybe 1/4 ltr over 3>400miles - "spirited" ... though, I was getting an oil smell in the car and I figure I may not have gotten the dip stick home correctly when I checked her over/buying and used a bit there...

Sounds high, but seems like your checking it regularly ... I've seen higher visc mentioned in a few threads, and thinking I might give that a whirl.

(I've had mine 3 weeks)

Could just be that the existing oil is completely degraded and needs changing. I've noticed that after 6000 miles my DE starts drinking it, 1.5l in the last 1000 miles alone. If it's still consuming that much after an oil change you either have a more serious problem or need stop changing gear at 6000rpm every single time.

I check it cold and on a flat surface :)

Good man that's the way to do it. ;)

Have you checked for any leaks anywhere then to see if that explains where some of the oil may be going which may add to the higher usage you're seeing?

A common place for leaks is the rocker cover gaskets ~ one on each side (obviously) and you'll be looking for oil leaking/seeping out onto the exhaust manifolds.

For example of what I'm talking about: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80779-rocker-cover-gaskets-for-oil-leaks-vq35de/

Seems a lot for any car (except maybe an RX8...)

As above, stick a big bit of cardboard under the car whilst it is still for a few days to see if there is any leaking whilst stationary, give the engine a decent wipe down and after a week check for any obvious signs of oil gathering (usually around the gaskets).