Vehicle Duty petition for fair charges

Toon Chris

Apologies if this has been listed before but its a valid point.

Currently if you sell your car mid-month you only get a refund of duty from the end of that month. The buyer also has to purchase theirs from the start of the month they buy in. Buyer and seller are out of pocket and HMG get paid twice for the same month.

Now everything is computerised there is no reason why this duty can't be paid on a daily basis - in fact it's archaic that it still operates on a monthly system. This petition isn't explicit about the advantages of moving away from the old month system but some other options could be made possible, such as buying a set number of days in advance rather than a full 6 months or a year.

Anyway, if you agree with the basic idea that you should not be penalised for selling or buying a car mid-month then please consider supporting this petition.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70266

inb4 day system gets implemented and another petition comes about:

Currently if you sell the car mid-morning you only get a refund from tomorrow. The buyer also has to buy tax from the beginning of that day, HMG double pocketing again..! Why can't we have a tax by the hour system, it's all computerised so there's no excuse.

inb4 hour system gets implemented and another petition comes about:

And repeat.

• Like 3

The reason they do this is the same reason why you previously didn't get your full remaining months back when you returned your tax disc. They will argue admin costs as someone still has to hit the button to give you your cash back.

What I find interesting is

We all know a car can sell it a week or a year so as the tax isn't a selling point anymore sellers will withdraw the tax on the car to lower wasted money if your not using the car well how do you road test a car with no tax

Seem set up to aid traders and try phase out private sales as your going to need trade plates

We all know a car can sell it a week or a year so as the tax isn't a selling point anymore sellers will withdraw the tax on the car to lower wasted money if your not using the car well how do you road test a car with no tax

Seem set up to aid traders and try phase out private sales as your going to need trade plates

I disagree with you on that one. If you are selling your car you can just roll the tax on for another month without having to buy another 6. In this case the new system is actually better.

In theory, I agree with the petition. However, it would've been more helpful if the 10 people who started petitions the other day all got together first and did one great big one, rather than split the numbers ;)

However, I digress. What really should be done is that VED is removed completely and put onto fuel, but that will never happen and would, in reality, be worse for most motorists so I'm keeping quiet on that front.

However, I digress. What really should be done is that VED is removed completely and put onto fuel, but that will never happen and would, in reality, be worse for most motorists so I'm keeping quiet on that front.

^^ this

had exactly the same conversation with somebody the other day

Biggest users pay the most. Good idea,makes big sence.

But what a big can of worms...............

What shall we start with.....

Smokers (I was one) NHS

Drinkers (OK I'll ave some of that) NHS

Fornicators

Over eaters....

Even me putting those four will have "upset" someone in our politically correct society. We now have warnings on 1920's cartoons,it was a century ago for gods sake.

Whoops.... I took the lords name in vane. That will have upset someone as well.

Society, please accept my apology for not always being politically correct.

Think I'll go and pull the legs off a spider................... ( JOKE )

Edited by ChrisS
spelling doh
  • Like 1

I disagree with you on that one. If you are selling your car you can just roll the tax on for another month without having to buy another 6. In this case the new system is actually better.

Ok so why would pay 1 months tax that you don't need to

Clearly there is the technology available to do the daily refund. The technology involved in reading number plates, linking to databases, automating postal fines and processing is much more complicated than calculating days left on a tax disc and refunding that. Clearly it is a money making scheme, which the government is not going to complain about and there is no process whereby a clear single voice can challenge it with authority.

Clearly there is the technology available to do the daily refund. The technology involved in reading number plates, linking to databases, automating postal fines and processing is much more complicated than calculating days left on a tax disc and refunding that.

Are you kidding? They can barely get a decades-old system working, much less something which relies on modern technology! :lol:

You have far too much faith in the DVLA, young padawan ;)

Clearly there is the technology available to do the daily refund. The technology involved in reading number plates, linking to databases, automating postal fines and processing is much more complicated than calculating days left on a tax disc and refunding that.

Are you kidding? They can barely get a decades-old system working, much less something which relies on modern technology! :lol:

You have far too much faith in the DVLA, young padawan ;)

Funnily enough I've been working with the DVLA in a two-steps removed sort of way regarding some of their computer systems - and you are right. Any HMG computer system is a mess in my opinion.

Ok so why would pay 1 months tax that you don't need to

You presumably do need to if you haven't sold your car and you want people to be able to test drive it? I'm not saying it's perfect, but in that situation it's surely better than another 6 months.