BMW M6 *First and last mod complete*

KyleR

If you're buying a manual 997, don't waste your money on the sport mode retrofit, it's not worth it. PDK or Turbo though, it's a must have.

Fair comment though on everything else. I'd find it tough to choose between C63 and M6 myself, but a nice problem to have :)

Thanks for the info, could save me from wasting cash. :thumbs:

About the 63's, I'm not even sure `I like them :lol: I love the inside, I love the engine, but aside from a badge and a couple of extra exhaust pipes, it's just like any other C/CL class. Although the M6 looks just like any other 6 series, 6 series are quite rare as they are. I've only seen 4 on the roads over here compared to C/CL's every day.

This is possibly the hardest decision I've ever had to make :lol:

Porsche all day long.

M6 is fast of course, but you'll soon get bored of just driving fast in straight lines and to most people it will just be a six series.

I like BMW's and currently have an E46 M3, but when the choice is between a BMW and a similarly priced Porsche then it's surely a no brainer.....

I spent £90k on a Lambo with no manufacturer warranty with everyone telling me the clutches were made of chocolate and would last 2k and cost me £5k to fix.

Never had a problem with it at all and was probably one of the best things I've ever done and would do it again in a heartbeat if I could go back to being 28, single and childless!

Life's too short!!

This is something I find I keep telling myself about the Bimmers and AMGs. Most people will just see a nice German barge, whereas everyone will see an incredible sports car in the 911.

I think if the Porsche was 3 years younger so I could keep it for a few years under warranty, it would be a no brainer, but I really can't afford to fix a catastrophic failure in it or the Six, so I really do need that warranty.

I understand what you're saying about life being too short, so maybe it's best I go for the M6. When is there ever going to be another V10 engine outside of an Italian supercar? I can always get a 911 in 2 or 3 years when the price of the 997.2 come down. :)

Kyle mate you are exactly where I was a month ago! I needed a car with 4 seats and a decent boot with low depreciation and the M6 was high on my list. And the porker was out but after doing my homework I decided the M6 maybe fast, luxurious and all but the M3 V8 ticks more boxes and though it cost more than the M6 V10 I was looking at, I think it was the right choice. I'll be picking it up at the end of the month and will report.

On the other hand I think the depreciation will be lower on the M6 and for what they are and how generally owns or drive them they will be a better choice over the porker. However if its the dynamics you are after the 911 is a no brainer. One day I hope I can own a GT3 RS. Its one of the purest driving experience I've had on the road or track for a road legal car and up to that point I did rate porsches highly.

Yo money up call😎😇

Can I ask what made you decide on the M3 over the M6?

Drove the M6 again today on a more extended test drive. I set up the MDrive to the hardest/fastest/most awesomeness setting and set off. Straight away I could hear the dampers setting themselves to their new harder setting and as soon as I touched the throttle I could feel it was much much sharper too.

The whole car is phenomenal, inside and out. There are a few stone chips on the front as expected and the interior is blemish free. It's also still on it's first own who happens to be the 3rd biggest car dealer in the country and the 2nd biggest BMW garage. BONUS!

I also popped over to see the 997 too. Out the outside it's beautiful, truly stunning. However the interior hasn't aged well at only 64k with marks and dimples on the leather, gear knob is worn and also marks in the plastics too. I didn't even ask for the keys, just got back into the car and went to see the M6 again :lol:

I thought all Mezger engines suffered from the IMS and bore scoring, apart from the Turbo,GT2+GT3?

There is definitely more scare mongering than actual failures though. I know several people at work who have Porsches and i know they have had no issues at all, and they get driven hard! A good friend of mine works at Porsche Silverstone, and he has said to me that the risk of failure is small. No different to walking in the street and getting hit by a bus!

This is odd as an engine rebuild is practically a weekly event on the 996 forums and hartech make a very good living from the Porsche failures

An M6 at full tilt is always going to blow your mind. Try pootling through a busy town with stop/start traffic, the SMG 'box may drive you insane. That's where the 911 excels, every day driving.

Definitely try the M6 with everything in low in busy traffic. If you can live with that, then go for it. :)

I did have a bit of traffic on the way back. We wouldn't get the sort of traffic over here outside of Belfast that you guys are used to over there.

But it wasn't too bad, if you're really easy on the throttle it'll move off ok, but I do tend to find that it's not in the same gear that I'd like it to be if it was manual. It sits a gear or 2 lower than I would, but I guess it's an auto box, it knows best lol

The only thing I've noticed is when in auto and it changes from 2-3, there's a bit of a squeak as the clutch engages, so I'm gonna have a search around for what that may be.

Edited by KyleR

M3 is better to drive than a 6.

How so?

Besides, it's not as pretty :p

Dynamically superior, lighter, more agile, etc etc. However I agree the 6 looks better.

It's only 50kg lighter and the M6 has a lower centre of gravity so I'm not so sure the M3 is more agile. It has a shorter wheelbase, however but I'd think the M6 is likely to be wider. It's close, apart from the extra 65 bhp in the 6 ;)

Anyway… this happened.

195FBF78-9E2D-47CD-9444-FC0EE4BA6B26.jpg

:byebye: bye bye wee Norman, you'll be missed, but…

3FDF9F2C-7AFF-4574-90DC-EE0321BEA262.jpg

7286274A-A705-4600-9071-966FD6E82FFC.jpg

Hello 500 bhp, 520 NM torque V10 madness in absolute luxury :yahoo:

• Like 3