BMW M6 *First and last mod complete*

KyleR

Just back from test driving a 2008 with the 5.0 V10. Had to stop in ASDA in the way back for a few beer, it was that good.

I'm not creative enough to write a big review of how awesome it is, but really, it's THAT awesome! The seats are amazing, the tech inside is awesome, the power and SMG box is out of this world. It makes the 350 look and feel like an Astra!

Someone please talk me out of buying one instead of a 997 911 C2S! Ekona, please lol.

Edited by KyleR

Given that the M6 is the one car I've driven that made me think that selling the 911 isn't that bad, I'm not sure I'm going to be much help :)

If I wanted a car to thrash around the lanes with, I'd get the 911. If I wanted one primarily for long term cruising, the M6 would win.

If I wanted a car with heritage that gave me goosebumps just looking at it, I'd get the 911. If I wanted one with an engine that made my spine tingle, I'd get the M6.

If I ever wanted to be let out of junctions again, I'd get the 911. If I ever wanted to not be called a w*nker, I'd get the M6.

Both amazing cars. I'd be tempted to get the M6 though in your shoes, purely before all the SMG 'boxes become too expensive to repair.

I haven't actually driven the 997 I'm looking at and it took quite a bit of will power to walk away from the M6 because of that. I can accept that the 911 is something that I need to drive to compare the 2 and hopefully I will be able to have a go this week at one, but the M6 is really THAT good, that I don't think the 911 will cut it.

They are both about the same price, but the M6 is 3 years and 10k younger and in those 3 years the M6 has developed 4G to the 911's Edge. But it's still not a 911.

This is possibly the hardest decision I have ever had to make :lol: I know I have to drive the 911, my mind tells me to stay away from the Bimmer until I know the competition, however, it really is such a good car that it's hard not to call them up in the morning to say "I'll take it!"

Dan, you're not helping, you're basically telling me to buy whatever I like, I'll love it :lol: You're supposed to be the resident Porker and therefore should be forcing me to go drive the 911 because it'll be better that the shitty M6 whose SMG box is going ton explode and cost me my house etc etc etc :lol:

Whilst I wouldn't buy an M6 without the AUW, neither would I get a 997.1 without either the OPC or Hartech warranty, so swings and roundabouts.

The M6 will always appeal for that engine, but the 911 will get under your skin more. Plenty of choice with 911s, you can always get one next. In a straight line the M6 will leave any 911 bar a turbo/GT2 for dead, but in the corners? It won't even see which way the Porker went.

If you drove the Zed as a cruiser, get the M6. If you thrashed the pants off the Zed in the corners, don't walk past the 911.

But yeah, either will be awesome :)

I thought about the warranties for both, but they're about £100 a month which I think is a bit much. I'd rather stick £100 a month in savings just in case and if the worst happens too early it'll have to go on the credit card. I know this is maybe a little irresponsible because the repair bill could be £5k+, but with only 2-3% failure rates, I think it's the smarter thing to do if you like a gamble lol

Like you say, the M6 engine is amazing but the 911 chassis is phenomenal and I do spend most of the time just driving the Zed, not riding the ass off it. I'm also pretty sure i've never reaching the breaking point of the Zed, so either will be way beyond my talent as a driver, but the 911 has more "poserablity" IMO lol The M6 looks like a 6 series, I see a 6 series on the road and have to look at the rear end to find out which one because they all look the same, whereas the 911 is a 911, it doesn't matter if its a C2S, C2 or a C4S, it's still beautiful and awesome.

ARGH!! Decisions decisions :lol:

The bill for the 911 would be more like £10K, as a good example of a repair done correctly i.e. all sleeves and pistons, not just the one in the case of bore scoring. SMG or V10 failure likely to be at least the same. But yeah, you know what level of risk you're willing to take.

The good thing about the M6 is that it looks like any other 6 series, but that's also the worst thing. A 911 is, well, a 911, and as such will always attract the attention. I loved it, not every one does.

A 911 will reward you as a driver, an M6 will flatter you.

M6 looks lovely but I really wouldn't recommend running one without a BMW warranty. My lowly 335i has me cost £2-3k in repairs for various bits in the last year, and that mostly minor stuff.....For the equivalent cost of a tank of fuel a months I think a warranty on a M6 is well worth it ;)

Personall, id get a warranty, regardless which of the 2 you choose, but that is up to you. Im sure the 6 would be more preactical, so how often would you need to carry more than one passenger in comfort? I think its a beautiful shape, and im still a fan of the original Bangle 7 series. (Its an interesting car to look at)

Personally, if you want something to replace the Zed, i think you will find it hard to choose the 6 over the 911, but if you are willing to compromise slightly on driving thrills (not in a straight line, as lets be honest, you would never get bored of that V10) then id go for the 6. The 911 is more outright sports car with a touch of practicality added in with the rear 'seats'

Have you thought about an AMG Merc, CLK63 or something like that?

I have thought of an AMG, but the only ones available to me over here are C63's which have too many doors, CL63's which don't look special enough when compared to any other CL and a SL55 which at 11 years old is just too old for me. There is of course more choice on the mainland, but when I add costs of getting there and getting the car back, plus the possibility of the seller misrepresenting the car and it being @*!#, therefore wasting my money, it's just not worth the risk.

I've got a few quotes for the BMW warranty and it's actually not that bad if I just wanted to insure the SMG and driveline at £58 and £75 for a sightly more inclusive cover and £90 for comprehensive. I wonder how much the Porsche warranty would be…

M6 IMO isn't that special dynamically, better off with an M3 unless you want a bigger car.

But the M3 looks boring :p

911 warranty is £1100 a year, including Porsche Assist breakdown cover.

Ok, so about the same as the comprehensive BMW one then. I think I heard that they will only cover cars up to 10 years old at Porsche and also it costs more if there isn't OPC servicing and/or there has been a break in warranty?

Ok, so about the same as the comprehensive BMW one then. I think I heard that they will only cover cars up to 10 years old at Porsche and also it costs more if there isn't OPC servicing and/or there has been a break in warranty?

Correct about the 10 years (well, up to 9 years and then you can't put it on the year after). It won't cost any more if you've had other servicing, but they might well insist that you have either a minor or major service (next due one, basically) done before they let you take it out. Some OPCs are more lenient than others.

Break in warranty won't matter a jot. Mine had a break last year, and when I had the 111pt check done for the buyer I could've put a warranty straight on. Oh yeah, you'll need a 111pt check done too, at £180 +VAT. I got mine for £200 all in, but there's not much room for negotiation on those.

Correct about the 10 years (well, up to 9 years and then you can't put it on the year after). It won't cost any more if you've had other servicing, but they might well insist that you have either a minor or major service (next due one, basically) done before they let you take it out. Some OPCs are more lenient than others.

Break in warranty won't matter a jot. Mine had a break last year, and when I had the 111pt check done for the buyer I could've put a warranty straight on. Oh yeah, you'll need a 111pt check done too, at £180 +VAT. I got mine for £200 all in, but there's not much room for negotiation on those.

The 911 is currently 9 years old, so they may not even cover it if there's less than 12 months before its 10? The BMW can be covered until 100k and it's currently on 56k so it'd take me 10 years to top the 100k :lol:

£58 a month to insure a gearbox? And that's just the start...

KyleR are you absolutely sure about the massive leap in running costs you're assuming here, on top of that extortionate warranty, higher tax and other consumables, it's:

A German car

A BMW at that

And a 6-series

with an Mgine in it

Might want to head down to Boot and get some of them brave pills! You've got to really, really love that motor...