iPhone 6/6Plus & Watch

Ekona

Sadly it was in one of those silly display cradles so you couldn't hold it properly to determine.

My initial thoughts are that it's acceptable considering what it is, but you'll (well, I'll) look a mong with it held to my ear. I think it'll be a case of getting used to it, rather than thinking it's a perfect size and why doesn't everyone have one.

Late to the party and Im sure its been covered ........... but why would anyone want one of these things? Its barely a step on from the iPhone 5, technically its clearly outperformed by the latest (and previous 2 generations in fact) of android devices, it still has no removable memory or battery and its even more expensive than the last one was :lol:

I appreciate some people like iProducts and I cant argue with that, but if youve already got a 4 or 5, why splash out on the 6?

Late to the party and Im sure its been covered ........... but why would anyone want one of these things? Its barely a step on from the iPhone 5, technically its clearly outperformed by the latest (and previous 2 generations in fact) of android devices, it still has no removable memory or battery and its even more expensive than the last one was :lol:

I appreciate some people like iProducts and I cant argue with that, but if youve already got a 4 or 5, why splash out on the 6?

I thought this kind of summed it all up really:

iphone_6_welcome-to-2012_image_zps7bc486b4.jpg

I for one was quite disappointed at the watch. It looks just like all the existing square smart watches. Although rather than keep it minimalistic and use the touch screen to control they have gone a step backwards and added some buttons. I do like the new LG smartwatch though which has a more traditional round face. I think the square 1970`s style smart watches are really dated now having been out for a good few years. and the round style looks much better. However, its personal preference really.

Outperformed by latest Android devices? That's not what Anandtech seem to think

As far as upgrading goes, why bother with anything over the original iPhone? Still makes calls, and texts, and browses the interweb... ;)

If youre trying to argue the i6 is anywhere near the droid devices technically speaking you are on a hiding to nothing, as Stews picture above kinda supports ;)

As for why bother when an original iPhone will do the job ........ you could if Apple hadnt moved iOS on so it doesnt work on those devices.

Im pretty sure you dont have that problem with Android, hence at least a couple of mates of mine still using HTC Desires with Droid v.2.0 (thats 1999 kids) "because it works". They have, obviously upgraded the memory too as 4GB like an original iPhone doesnt do much these days.

Am I saying Apple effectively force their users into buying new versions? When you cant replace the battery, you cant upgrade the memory and the apps get updated automatically so they dont work with legacy OS's, you can draw your own conclusion ;)

When the new version doesnt represent much more than a higher price for a very similar device either, then I think its a bit out of order too.

Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have broken yet another record. The company said Monday that its first weekend sales topped 10 million devices. It didn't break out sales between the two models, though the iPhone 6 Plus seemed to be a much harder device to find over the last three days. "Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn't be happier," said Apple CEO Tim Cook in a statement.

http://www.cnet.com/...-first-weekend/

10 million of idiots out there, including myself...

1. The iPhone user interface is much more polished. Google worked hard to make Jelly Bean quicker and smoother, making substantial improvements, but iPhone is still better.

2. The iPhone app ecosystem is markedly better. Google Play and the Apple App Store both have about 1 million apps, and most major apps are available for both platforms, but, again, the devil lurks in the details. New apps and updates come out first on iPhone.

3. iOS is stronger at the technical detail level: e.g., when you use an iPhone with a car, Bluetooth streaming audio works properly, you can control which contacts get synced to the car over Bluetooth, and if you have both Bluetooth and a wired connection to the car active, the iPhone smartly sends phone audio over Bluetooth and streaming-media audio over the wire, so both work. (In fact, Google-experience Android gets this right, too, but the Samsung user interface breaks it.)

4. The iPhone camera is just the best: beautiful pictures, and great features like high dynamic range, which both compensates for some limitations of simple cameras, and can create attractive images that remind me of a painting

http://www.forbes.co...-android-phone/

Edited by octet

Outperformed by latest Android devices? That's not what Anandtech seem to think

If youre trying to argue the i6 is anywhere near the droid devices technically speaking you are on a hiding to nothing, as Stews picture above kinda supports ;)

Depends on your definition of technically, I guess. Personally I'd consider that something that benchmarks at the top of multiple programs to be pretty damn impressive, however if all you want to do is store stuff on an SD card then yeah, no iPhone can top that.

I bet I can find lots of programs that don't run on KitKat though, so I don't think that's a helpful comparison to make.

at the end of the day your either apple fan boy or a android fan boy, (sorry or blackberry/windows)

I used to take this view but the past few releases from Apple have been so disappointing that I honestly think droid has overtaken it. And the point with the older operating systems is that while there are new apps that wont work with older versions of droid, there are still old apps available that do, AFAIK stuff like iTunes isnt available for older OS's.

iTunes works on every version of OSX and Windows since it was released. Even the current iTunes 11.4 will work on XP with SP3, and that's not even supported by MS any more.

It also doesn't restrict old phones/iOS versions from it connecting to the store direct.

I've put an order with Apple for a 6 and a 6plus. 6 is due in just over a week and the plus 3 to 4 weeks.

Edited by Fodder

The biggest issue I have with iOS is that it's practically impossible to step back to a previous OS. It's a given that putting a new OS on an older device will make it slower (it's always been like that, think about when we went from XP to Vista then Vista to Win7 etc), but it shouldn't be impossible to go back. That irks me.

Weird, the missus iProducts nigh on force her to upgrade and Ive seen iTunes stop working at least twice due to there being a newer version out.

Apologies I think I've misunderstood your question.

Yes you do have to upgrade itunes to the latest version if you want to interact with their stores however it will run on older operating systems and doesn't force you to update iOS versions. It will prompt but not force.

To be fair j really detested itunes the application, it was resource hungry, clunky and a PITA to use but it has got better, particularly from v9 onwards if IIRC.

stevod and Ekona have hit the nail on the head, it's what platform best suits you and sometimes it's about what one doesn't annoy you the most. That said I wouldn't be putting down the sort of money a 6 costs just because it annoys me least. If go out and buy a Nokia 6210 for phone and text in that case :)

• Like 1

iTunes is the single most hateful piece of software in the world IMO - its crap in the first place, it was responsible for deleting half of my 40GB music collection and is the reason that I started ripping stuff (mainly to get back what Id lost). The fact that its the only player you can use with iProducts (including those that are specifically designed to only play music) kinda says it all for me.

Ive seen a lot of migration from iOS to Android recently and in my experienced most people have been pleasantly surprised at how easy droid is to drive these days, its certainly a lot better than previous versions.

• Like 1

Weird, the missus iProducts nigh on force her to upgrade and Ive seen iTunes stop working at least twice due to there being a newer version out.

Im dreading my wife trying to upgrade to iOS8. Every single time her iphones have ever upgraded, its never gone smoothly and theres been no end of problems. Even when shes upgraded hardware, switching from one phone to another.

Me on the other hand, i just get my new phone, log in with my email & password and all my contacts, emails, apps, music, photos all instantly appear.

iTunes is the single most hateful piece of software in the world IMO - its crap in the first place,

My wife gave me her old ipod the other year, so I tried to copy my music to it. Now on android devices you just plug it in, or switch on the kies air which lets you view the device through any web browser, then simply copy music directly to it. No problem at all. However, on her ipod that was a no no. Apple tried to force me to install itunes in order to copy music over and then I had to register that itunes to the device. The itunes download was something like 250mb. 250mb! At that point I googled and found a small 500kb program someone had written which allowed me to view the ipod via windows explorer and copy my mp3`s directly over. Much easier!

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 1

How did iTunes delete half of your collection?

It was an issue with duplicates initially, some tunes I had 8 copies of. Got a duplicate remover piece of software, took a backup, did my thing and found that all duplicates (including originals) had been removed, tried to restore using backup and iTunes "synced" itself and removed the dupes from the backup too.

Furthermore it still shows the tunes it removed as being on the playlist as it left the folders behind, and because it left the folders behind theres no easy way to see whats there and what isnt without going into each one in turn. I was a software test engineer for 2 years and have done system administration for over 15 years, if I get knackered by it then I dont count it as "good" software.

Its also deleted stuff that me or Tasha got from places other than iTunes (burning CD's for instance) because apparently iTunes is the ONLY way you can actually get music these days, obvs.

It was an issue with duplicates initially, some tunes I had 8 copies of.

We had the same problem. Another time after an upgrade the phone decided to duplicate all of her contacts. Ive just been reading about hundreds of people having their batteries drain in just a couple of hours after iOS8, so I wouldnt be surprised if thats the next problem she has.

When apple launched the icloud it was hilarious. I came home from work and spent about 2 hours trying to work out why the internet was "down". I couldnt get on the net at all. I checked the router, tried my phone, laptop, tablet. Checked the isp`s status via my mobile internet. Then after a while I asked my wife what she was doing on her iphone and it turned out the new iOS update installed some icloud and was forcibly syncing all her photos/music into the cloud and sucking up the entire bandwidth we had! Took the entire evening for some reason so god knows what it was doing.

• Like 1

Oooh yeah, thats another good one - a mate of mine was at a conference in the States and after a heavy night ended up with some pictures of him and a few strippers larking about on his phone.

Fortunately he is rather tech savvy and had a sudden realisation that because his wife and kids phones (and the mother in law IIRC) were all linked, they were all sharing the same iCloud :scare: :scare: :scare:

Once he got home he told all of the family that there was a new update available for iPhone but that in order to do it he needed to get all of the phones together and update them all at once. He only bloody got away with it too :lol: but its another feature that I just dont like, like downloading copies of U2 albums you havent asked for and not having a hard reset button.