How can i change my reg plate so it doesnt spell penis?

ostego

So....

Long story short, I've managed to buy a 5 character personal number plate that looks like this

P* N*S

The Asterixes are the non-relevant characters

The first word that jumps into a lot of peoples' minds is penis....

Having been oblivious to it at the time... and only realizing after numerous people have spotted it and brought it up, i have concluded that this CANNOT continue, as it really is quite embarassing!

The way i see it i have 3 options :

1. Get rid of my numberplate and waste £250!
  2. Get a JDM or even chargespeed (:p have been so tempted to get one of these!) rear bumper so that it fits a square number plate where the P* would be above the N*S
  3. Adjust the spacing inbetween the P* and the N*S to distort the link, and create a better separation.

Due to finances at the moment..... option 3 is by far the most attractive, but I am wondering about the legality of it.

As opposed to "P* N*S" it would be "P* N*S"

Would this be legal? It would in theory be the same width as the characters in a traditional 7 character reg, but instead of 4 characters, space, 3 characters..... it would be 2 characters, 3 spaces, 3 characters

Anyone have any input? And also... would the fine be just a £60 deal.... or would it entail points as well?

If i get 3 points then my insurance will rise by around £700 with my current insurer.... so would probably not be worth it....

Any changes to the correct spacing would be illegal ... spacing should be P 11 * 33 N 11 * 11 S (11 and 33 being millimetres)

or

get rid and buy mine - 'A7 TAK'

Would much rather drive around with ATTACK on the back of my car rather than penis!

Have done a bit of internet reading, and although nobody seems 100%, it looks like it is only a £60 fine, with no points, and that's if you get unlucky enough to come across a copper who actually cares

I'd like to think I could laugh my way out of the situation if i was pulled over by explaining my plight and reason why i chose to change the spacing!

it looks like it is only a £60 fine, with no points, and that's if you get unlucky enough to come across a copper who actually cares

Yes a fine for the first couple of offences, then confiscation, ask Lexx.

Pete

Have done a bit of internet reading, and although nobody seems 100%, it looks like it is only a £60 fine, with no points, and that's if you get unlucky enough to come across a copper who actually cares

I'd like to think I could laugh my way out of the situation if i was pulled over by explaining my plight and reason why i chose to change the spacing!

Problem is , if you do get pulled over, plod may look for other infringements to satisfy his 'must do this guy for something' attitude, and they will tell you to legalise it with the change being certified at an MOT test station ...

ETA

by the way there's no C in ATTAK ;)

Edited by ATTAK Z

Can't you just default back to the vehicles original number plate prefix and then sell on (hopefully not at too much of a loss) the other number?

I'm not a fan of personalized plates at all which is why I would be happier with the original number rather than any personalized one, ..especially one that spells out penis to most normal people when they look at it. :surrender::lol:

Without knowing the full plate it's hard to say if it does indeed read like penis.

If it does, then I'd suggest you out it up for sale and wait for some self indulgent wiener to come along and buy it for something like £1000, then get yourself a different personal plate or revert to the original plate.

Edited by BulletMagnet

mate ive not been running a front number plate in like 6 months, never been pulled once.

5-0 cant be bothered around were i live clearly

Just a hunch but I think that they'll tighten things up a bit when tax discs are abolished in November this year as they'll be relying more on cameras, both fixed and mobile than previously.

Pete

Was invited to sit in the back seat of a jamjar yesterday (don't ask) and was amazed at the in-car NPRS which was pinging away as cars passed form in front and behind ... if the machine was referencing all the plates it did it so quickly and efficiently

It sadly isn't as directly identifiable as penis to qualify it for a 90k price tag, but have had a fair few mentions of it.

The tipping point for me was meeting with another 350z forum member today who was buying a part off me.... it has played on my mind so i asked him the first word that came to his head when looking at the plate, and inevitably it came up!

I have ordered a plate with a lot more spacing between the 2 groups, and I'll see how it looks and whether i get any more penis comments after the switch!

I'd ideally not like to be pulled over by the cops, you'd think if ANPRs are that damn clever then they wouldn't have any issues reading around different spacings..... think it's the inability to read it that will ring alarm bells, not the recognition of additional spacing.

Either way if there's no points involved then it is not the riskiest of moves to make.

Dont want to go back to my original plates too as I have spent too much time and money caring for my paintwork and bodywork to have people look at it and then realise it is a 53 reg :(

Edited by ostego
  • Like 1

I would'nt run the risk of loosing your plate, im sure alot of people find it amusing ! You are allowed one warning and then they can actually take the reg off you. I have a similar issue after spending the best part of £3000 on a number plate which I thought was perfect (Jay 1R - Jamie reid) my friends were quick to point out that I now am an arab prince by the name of jayir...

Ask Ian if he has ever had any issues.

Thanks Randy. I'm really pleased that the moment someone mentions penis plate and you need to find an example, my car springs to mind! :scare:

My spacing is illegal. Have I ever been stopped for my plate, looking like it does? Once. And that's in the 12+ years I've had it. But in those 12+ years, I've also been stopped by the police (routine checks etc) and none of those have mentioned it. I'm not hiding the fact it's 'L14 NDD' with silly font or randomly spaced number plate screws, but it IS spaced illegally, and I know that. I put the fact I've only ever been pulled for it once down to one thing - LUCK.(This is me not just tempting fate, but smacking it over the head with a big stick - who's gonna put £5 on the fact I get pulled now :lol: ).

Every time I overtake a police car, or there's one behind me, I'm aware I've got a naughty plate and half expect the blue lights. If you're happy with that "Will they, won't they?" every time you see the feds, then go for it.

At the end of the day, you've got a ginger car, 19 inch wheels with a big spoiler on the back. Most people will look at it and think "P*nis" regardless of what your number plate says anyway... :stir:

• Like 1

Ask Ian if he has ever had any issues.

Thanks Randy. I'm really pleased that the moment someone mentions penis plate and you need to find an example, my car springs to mind! :scare:

My spacing is illegal. Have I ever been stopped for my plate, looking like it does? Once. And that's in the 12+ years I've had it. But in those 12+ years, I've also been stopped by the police (routine checks etc) and none of those have mentioned it. I'm not hiding the fact it's 'L14 NDD' with silly font or randomly spaced number plate screws, but it IS spaced illegally, and I know that. I put the fact I've only ever been pulled for it once down to one thing - LUCK.(This is me not just tempting fate, but smacking it over the head with a big stick - who's gonna put £5 on the fact I get pulled now :lol: ).

Every time I overtake a police car, or there's one behind me, I'm aware I've got a naughty plate and half expect the blue lights. If you're happy with that "Will they, won't they?" every time you see the feds, then go for it.

At the end of the day, you've got a ginger car, 19 inch wheels with a big spoiler on the back. Most people will look at it and think "P*nis" regardless of what your number plate says anyway... :stir:

I can tolerate and appreciate the 19 inch wheels and the spoiler comment.... but it is LE MANS SUNSET!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started!! :scare:

Edited by ostego

Next you'll be telling us your name's Dick.

I agree with the previous post. Clearly you're unhappy with it - this is never going to change. It's like needing to go to wee in the middle of the night - the feeling never goes away, it just gets worse, so you might as well give in to it asap and move on in life. You probably feel a bit of a nob - like you've shafted yourself.

Personally, I'd find it funny to have a plate like that. I suppose it depends on your sense of humour. Back in the early days of 350's I knew a bloke who revelled in the fact that his car had a plate that read W4NKER - can't remember exactly how it was achieved, but clearly and unmistakably it read W4NKER. He loved it and so did everyone else who saw it. Made me laugh.

If you decide to stick with it, just think of how much pleasure you're giving to other road users with your P*N*S. Don't space your plate illegally - the penalty's a stiff one.

Time for more willy jokes?