Confronted by an angry man today..

MCook

So today I was out filming in the car (my friend was filming from the passenger seat..), went and got a tripod and everything!! :teeth:

I decided I wanted to get some pictures in an underground car park (typical I know), I went to my local Tesco one. I drove in, in first gear and as I was underground you can tell I wanted to make some noise so a briefly accelerated to about 20 along a quiet straight towards the back of the car park, no one ahead, just parked cars.

I then heard a series of horns going off, I parked up and was setting up my tripod when a big merc comes diagonally up to me, against my driver door. He then asked me 'What the **** do you think you are doing?, coming through here so fast, what if there was a child in the road?' I replied, 'I was not going fast, the car is loud at any speed honestly.' Angry man:'You were flying past!'and went on a bit more at me, I then asked him to mind his own business and that it was only a bit of noise, he rambled on, I stared at him till he got bored and drove off..

I understood his concern about pedestrians, but obviously I would not have made a lot of noise if I had seen pedestrians. It was literally a tap of the throttle for about 2 seconds! I am an extremely careful driver, and very rarely speed, which is probably why it annoyed me quite a bit!

Wished my mate was still recording, just in case he tried anything!

This is the first time I have ever been confronted in such a way, Im not sure if it is because I am so young (19), would he have reacted the same if I was 30+? Who knows!

• Like 1

Sh*t happens just ignore him. Had similar situations myself in the past, mainly when I was in my late 20's and I used to drive a JDM Impreza with a straight through 3" exhaust system.

Had one guy walking with his Mrs jump out in front of my car as I accelerated up a hill in second gear.

"Slow down" he shouted, so I stopped as he was partially in the road as well.

Getting half out of the car (bit annoyed now as well) I shouted back "what's your problem?!"

"Speed limits 30!" he yelled, to which I replied "good to know, I was only doing 25 you pr*ck" :angry:

We then parted ways and that was that. :shrug:

I know I probably could have handled it, shall we say more politely but tbh he wasn't the first person to yell or give me a horrid look whilst driving that car whilst still under the speed limits & in safe situations. Felt a bit victimized. :lol:

• Like 4

It certainly seems people link a loud exhaust to speed, i have done the same myself in the Supra, and it wasn't very loud either, the funny part for me was that i was only doing 27mph and that the guy shouting something like slow down was younger than me!

• Like 2

Sorry, but 20 mph in an underground car park? :nono:

And if it was loud enough to set car alarms off, I think I understand the angry mans rant IMO.

No alarms went off. The beeping was the angry man.

I have a video of the exact thind I did as I went there twice today, first time was recorded, second time was not, which was when the angry man showed up.

And when I said 'I accelerated up to 20mph' I literally meant, for a split second I was at twenty, but swiftly was on the brakes, I merely wanted to enjoy the noise in first gear as the rpm's get over 4000! My exhaust is A LOT louder than most zeds, and of course louder than everyday cars... I wonder if it was a corsa or say even a prius that had replicated my 'INSANE ACCELERATION' would he have even of batted an eyelid????????!

Dude, you've just turned 19 years old, you've been driving your Zed for what, 2 weeks now? It was a Tesco car park, clearly with customers and their cars still present, we've all blipped the throttle to hear the sound of the V6, but there's a time and a place mate and an underground Tesco car park isn't it.

• Like 2

..we've all blipped the throttle to hear the sound of the V6, but there's a time and a place mate and an underground Tesco car park isn't it.

He's right you know. :surrender:

Ikea have much better car parks for acoustics. :D:lol:

• Like 9

I don't see the problems with what MCook did :shrug: The car ticks over in 1st at near 10mph, so a tiny squirt gets up to 20 which is still insanely slow, not to mention he did it on his way to the back of the carpark where no one parks anyway…

• Like 1

I can see both sides really.

I've done the same in the past, although not moving (just revved the engine a bit in Bluewater car park, with a K1 mind) and noise sounds awesome. No argument there.

It is, however, very anti-social, and could easily see you on the wrong side of a s59. Arguing with a guy who is accusing you is likely to get him to call the police, and you're going to get that s59 no question. I'd probably have apologised, placated the guy then called him a banker under my breath as he left. Sometimes, that's the easier solution.

just jealous older drivers - had this before whilst performing perfectly legal maneuvers in high spec cars - various reactions

just ignore and move on - not worth spending a second dealing with a lifetime of bitterness - you'll never win

in summary...

ha ha ha - eat my dust grandad....

I know you didn't mean any harm and were just having a bit of fun but to be honest I think it's not really surprising that you got a reaction. As has been said, people equate noise with speed and there are better places to have fun with your car.

• Like 1

Very nice pics! Yes there is a time and a place and ...that place could be it for a quick photoshoot or quick vid of its sound (providing your not being an idiot lol) but probably best to do it when its completely empty. The guy should be looking at the circumstances (closeness of cars, if anyone was near, were you doing it in an open bit away from everyone at the back etc). Yes I don't see a problem someone 'advising' you of their displeasure but depending on how you did and what you did is also key. If I had blipped it just coming in and someone did that...they'd find me in their passenger seat and it would be a most uncomfortable chat for them lol Mind you, I do not like people not looking further ahead at the big picture so that annoys me in general....

Empty places mate are best is the key and don't be too much of a silly billy :thumbs:

Edited by AMT

It certainly seems people link a loud exhaust to speed, i have done the same myself in the Supra, and it wasn't very loud either, the funny part for me was that i was only doing 27mph and that the guy shouting something like slow down was younger than me!

Everyone's younger than you dick :)