Is this a scam?

zeddy addict

Got my Zeddy roadster up for sale, genuine 35k full history, immaculate car, wants for nothing. Only selling due to needing an estate car for the dogs and daily commuting, other half changed jobs and lost his company van, so my toy has to go.

Had a few enquiries but no lookers, usual 'will you swap for a 2002 Audi a4 with 156k on it, straight swap'" merchants. Last week I get an email for someone on Pistonheads saying he has no phone as only just come back unto the country so could I email him only (bells now ringing). Basically he has a bmw 330d touring, all the toys, xenons, i drive, in fact everything. Car is 2008 with 41k on it and full BMW service history. Clearly states it is manual gearbox. He wants a swap for a Summer toy.

Very interested as that is just what we are looking for but it is worth more than my Zeddy. He asks for my address and keeps on saying he has no contact number but wants to have a look at the car that night and will call me en route from his girlfriend's phone. My number is clearly on the ad so why does he keep asking for it?

I ask him for a picture of his car and ask where it is advertised, he says it isn't advertised but sends me 2 pictures with everything blacked out, reg number (understandable) and mileage. Odd thing is the car is auto and no xenons, can't see anything else as the pictures are so poor. I question this and he doesn't answer except to say bmw have agreed to take his car in for £9k so he will give me what I am asking for mine (8995) cash or bacs but keeps pushing for my address to see it that day.

I gave him my number again and asked if we could have a chat but haven't heard anymore, definitely won't give out my address when this seems so suspect. My other half was working all week in the evening so not here and I am just wary if having the car nicked if I am on my own.

Just being paranoid? Think I am just going to part ex it with a dealer, nightmare selling cars privately.

• Like 1

Exactly, I know everyone is phone mad but who doesn't have a phone or access to one for over a week? Plus, if he has had his car from new and it has a full dealer history up to date, it's unlikely he has been out of the country for any length of time. I asked if it was hpi clear as I would check, again.....no reply.

Was just concerned I was going to get knocked over the head or driven him round the corner to meet his mates (not much chance of a bodyguard coming along with me in a 2 seater). Or money scam more likely.

Would rather lose a potential buyer than risk the car being stolen or cloned.

Yes I appreciate that now ebized, no contact since the weekend and no information given to him thankfully.

Just wondering if it was a recognised scam, know all about the western union ones and various money laundering so it's obviously not that but do people really try to steal a modern car with all the alarms fitted these days. Or is it to clone a donor car and use your vin number etc once they have seen it all.

Surely it would be more plausible if they did ring and use an pay and go mobile?

Edited by zeddy addict

Thanks for the advice, thought I was just being paranoid. If nothing else, might ring alarm bells for other members in the same position.

Especially when an email reply starts with the first word 'Reply' like it's all written down in front of them to say like a telephone sales script.......

I buy and sell a few cars I don't normally reply to e mails unless they are very obviously individually written.

Scammers prey on the fact that people are usually desperate to sell a car and will usually bend over backwards if they get a 'nibble'.

Pistonheads is a shooting gallery for scammers as just about everyone has to display an email address.

I never give my home address out until I've spoken to them and done some cross checks.