Darren-B's 1971 240z Project Pumpkin Major UPDATE P48

Darren-B

Should be very nice. Ref the humidity, the humidity stat was reading 89% at first in the garage, now down to a manageable 50%. It was filling a bucket a day for the first couple of days!

I was advised by the bodyshop guys not to waxoyl (or similar) until after all the paintwork as it plays havoc with it for them.

Edited by leonk

Well quick update, had a couple of hours on the car this evening so tackled the left side starting with the broken exhaust hanger

IMG_5167.jpg

drilled out the broken studs & pop riveted it back onto the chassis in a sandwich of etch primer

IMG_5171.jpg

Then welded the bugger as I didn't think the rivets would hold out very long

IMG_5173.jpg

Ground off the slag

IMG_5174.jpg

quick seal with some primer

IMG_5175.jpg

Then a top coat of underseal

IMG_5175.jpg

Re- attached the exhaust hanger

IMG_5178.jpg

Just a quick temporary fix to get it through the MOT, will be taking it all off again when I fully strip the car

Next on the agender was the split steering rack gator, got a pair of new ones (205 GTI)

IMG_5189.jpg

removed the track-rod

IMG_5183.jpg

slid the new one on & re-attached the track rod, then filled with grease

IMG_5185.jpg

Then I decided to start on the UK light conversion. So removed the old sealed beam light

IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

Old one is on the right, new on the left has sidelight bulb fitting & H4 high & dipped beam.

Jiggled around with the wiring, took the power from the side marker & plumbed it into the sidelight, then took the power from the indicator & plumbed it into the side marker to make it an indicator.

IMG_5180.jpg

Next thing I knew it was dark & I was ready for a rest.

Hopefully I'll get the right hand side done tomorrow :teeth:

• Like 3

Well young Darren. I now know that you have spent too much time drinking and eating in my dinning room.

It must have subliminally got to you. Look forward to seeing her.

P7230023_zps7c3a9e2c.jpg

• Like 1

Dazza you are my hero! First dibs when you want rid of it😇😇😜

I need to come a see this sometime.

I know mate, I've been keeping you on your feet for years, without me EVERYTHING would be upside down ;)

We do need a catchup soon

• Like 1

B) love the 240, classic but can be made to look modern

Not sure about the bus steering wheel though

I don't want it to look to modern, the 240z IMO looks great standard, although I will be going for some ROTA RB's at some point & possibly the BRE rear boot lip. Will also be re-wiring the whole car with a complete custom loom & introducing a few relays for the higher powered bits.

What are your eventual intentions with the bodywork, will you take it all back to bare metal?

Yep, this is not going to be a half hearted attempt, everything will be stripped & restored or replaced like new

• Like 1

What are your eventual intentions with the bodywork, will you take it all back to bare metal?
first post says back to metal

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Sorry, read that, what I meant was is it going to be back to a bare shell, and bare metal? Windows out, everything. Up most respect either way.

Quick update for today, only had just over 2hours as I left work late

removed the wing mirrors the other day. There not original but are staying for a while, they only had flat mirror in them so the view angle was utterly crap.

So removed the glass

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

Got a couple of convex mirrors from halfrauds of all places

IMG_5199.jpg

Used the original as a template

IMG_5202.jpg

Then cut down to size

IMG_5203.jpg

& re-fitted to the surrounding

IMG_5204.jpg

Next was the re-wire of the RHS lights, so removed the wheel & old sealed light

IMG_5206.jpg

Found plenty of desert dust

IMG_5205.jpg

Fitted the new headlamp unit & rewired the indicator & side lights. I now have a UK legal 240z (well the front lights anyway)

sidelights on

IMG_5211.jpg

Dipped Headlights

IMG_5212.jpg

Then I quickly swapped out the RHS steering gator which wasn't damaged but thought I may as well do the pair.

Had an update from the company supplying my rear euro/jdm taillights, they were shipped today & should be with me tuesday :)

I feel an MOT coming along very soon :)

Edited by Darren-B