Can anyone recommend me a plastic trim restorer?

Thanks Stu, that sounds good is it easy enough to apply?

Thanks Stu, that sounds good is it easy enough to apply?

Simples, but I'd suggest getting some makeup cotton pads :blush: as you'll get through a fair few. Plastic should be super clean first. There's a vid on the link.

Apply sparingly, less is more. You want a nice thin layer. The tiny bottle should go miles. It flashes quite quickly so if you can do it inside, out of the sun, it's easier.

Can't remember if I did it, but I think you can put UV protector on top to make it last longer. But check that out before doing it.

Ilogikal1 is the man to ask on this stuff.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

C4 is excellent stuff and lasts a long time.

I use Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator. It's considerably cheaper than C4.

Lasts about 6 months. Here is a 50/50 pic of it being applied:

20140622_111652_zpscnnxhqlq.jpg

C4 is excellent stuff and lasts a long time.

I use Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator. It's considerably cheaper than C4.

Lasts about 6 months. Here is a 50/50 pic of it being applied:

Yep, that.

C4 is good and will last a while in itself - although care needs to be taken when applying it to textured plastics as it wants to fill the gaps between the high points of you're a bit hamfisted with the application, you need to work it into those gaps.

Nanolex is, IMHO, better though and it's easier to apply particularly to textured trim and can be slapped onto anything with just a foam applicator. It's got a slightly longer flash time over C4 so it's easier to spread.

You shouldn't have too much issue with either, to be honest, but to get the best durability the plastics need to spotlessly clean, so spend a bit of time on them with an APC and if you've got any an IPA wipe down just before applying the LSP would help (it's not essential though).

Can't remember if I did it, but I think you can put UV protector on top to make it last longer. But check that out before doing it.

Ilogikal1 is the man to ask on this stuff.

Cheers Stu, :thumbs:

Both C4 and the Nanolex provide UV protection so it's not essential to top either - I'm not sure much would bond to either anyway actually but not sure on that.

I found nanolex a bit greasy - maybe used too much product :shrug:

Yeah, probably too much product. Shake the bottle to mix it up before each use too, it separates quite quickly. Polished Bliss recommend buffing no more than one minute after applying and by following their method I've not had any greasiness (or streaking as some people seem to complain about) with it at all - although I've found even if you slap it on you can buff it back and then buff again shortly after (about 30 seconds ish) to get the same finish.

I found nanolex a bit greasy - maybe used too much product :shrug:

Yeah, probably too much product. Shake the bottle to mix it up before each use too, it separates quite quickly. Polished Bliss recommend buffing no more than one minute after applying and by following their method I've not had any greasiness (or streaking as some people seem to complain about) with it at all - although I've found even if you slap it on you can buff it back and then buff again shortly after (about 30 seconds ish) to get the same finish.

Same with poorboys.....too much and it's everywhere.

I managed it all the bastard time and I'm detailing for a living! :lol:

30 sodding minutes mopping off the damn stuff because I'm too ham fisted with it!

• Like 2

Aerospace 303 is about the best you can get in my opinion - I'm a recent convert from autoglym which I always liked just after it was done, but as the author said it doesn't last too long. The 303 is peerless for under bonnet show and shine.

• Like 1

As Lexx said, any cheap All Purpose Cleaner will do the job. Just use the liquid stuff, the cream versions aren't so good for this. :lol:

If you wanted to use an IPA you can get it from chemists - it needs to be diluted (usually 3 or 4:1 for the 90%+ stuff but you can get different strengths) with water, so you don't need all that much of it really, they'll likely sell IPA swabs (those pre-injection wipes) - but you can use panel wipe or something equivalent instead, basically anything that'll remove any trace of oils or grease on the surface. If you haven't got anything like that lying around already I wouldn't bother buying any just for this one job though, to be honest.