Rejoining Z ownership - help estimating cost of works

Mrdeli

Hello all,

After 18 months without a Z, I have been drawn back!

I have been looking at a 2005 standard car.

I have looked at the MOT history and it has flagged up the following:

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Headlamp cleaning device inoperative (1.7.2)

Offside Headlamp cleaning device inoperative (1.7.2)

Nearside Front abs to flexi Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Nearside Front flexi to caliper Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Rear flexi to caliper Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Advisory Notice issued

Offside Front flexi to caliper Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Nearside Rear flexi to caliper Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Front registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)

Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay

Could someone help me with the likely costs of carrying out the above and whether they are DIYABLE

Many thanks - and hi to all.

Mark

For the headlamp washers if both are not working there's a good chance its the pump which is around £30 to £40 new.

The rest appears to be brake pipes (the hard lines) so if you are capable of replacing them go for Kunifer pipe and you won't have to worry about replacing them again, the flexi hoses in the advisory list could be replaced with braided lines :)

If you are not confident with brakes though it would be best to leave them to a professional although a good independent should not charge a lot for the above.

^^ What he said. ;)

Sometimes the headlamp washers though don't work in cold weather. Mine where sticking during the winter but working fine now so maybe when the MOT was carried out it was something similar?! would be great if that was the case.

The brake lines are DIYable if you can bleed the system correctly afterwards and shouldn't cost too much to do. Lot's of options for braided brake lines available from the traders on here like Clark Motorsports above.

Not sure what the problem is with the engine covers? would need to see it really to know what they are on about. Good luck. :)

I can't help with most of it, except to say that the MOT tester must have been a right special one:

There's not much extra covering in the engine bay you'd be able to do! Nissan cover it all from standard :lol:

I can't help with most of it, except to say that the MOT tester must have been a right special one:

There's not much extra covering in the engine bay you'd be able to do! Nissan cover it all from standard :lol:

Very strange indeed.

Pete

As a complete an utter guess here, I suspect the first thought for the headlight washers not working would be the fuse, but tester's aren't permitted to remove parts during the test, so with there being a fusebox hidden beyond the battery cover... Wild stab in the dark maybe, but that'd be my first guess.

I always get this advisory. I think it's backside covering... the tester isn't obliged (or maybe even permitted) to remove covers, so if you subsequently have an accident due to something that was under a cover and that he didn't see, that is his get out of jail card.

Covers obscuring is just an arse covering execise that they use today. My sons focus has had that mentioned twice.

Its not a concern just the tester saying he cant see anything thats covered so no worrys.

In regards to £100's or £1000's for the job in hand. Definitely looks to be more on the £100's side.

I also suffered from corroded brake pipes and the garage i used only charged me £50. The other parts you may be lucky if you can get them salvaged, not sure what the dealers price would be.

Very strange indeed.

Pete

I had this on my MOT a couple of months ago. I got 4 'advisories' as follows:

Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components

Non standard exhaust fitted

Non standard coil springs fitted

Wtf?!

Got to be the most anal MOT tester in the world. What about all the other 'non-standard' things fitted to the car? None of these should be advisories.