Which Diesel would you buy?

maxi-glasgow

I drive over 600 miles on my weekly commute, so I sold my 370 and bought a 350 roadster and a Saab 93 1.9TDi last year to use for work.

Done over 130k miles in the Saab now and getting a few wee clunks and clanks when go over uneven road, probably just needs bushes renewed etc but feel it's time to get another diesel.

So looking to spend between £4.5k-£5k or a decent diesel car which I need to do over 30k miles per year in so needs to be very reliable and want a bit of poke, as a lot of my commute is on a country road and need to overtake lorries etc

The Saab has 150bhp and is decent enough, so wouldn't want anything slower than that.

Next requirement is preferably have under 90k miles so I can look to have car for 2 years, take it up to around 150k then trade it in.

First things I have looked at were Lexus IS 220d's, that's right on the budget, but have seen one in mid 80k miles inside my budget.

Next one looked briefly at was a Mondeo, the new shape, around 07-08 plates.

As I get my diesel for nothing, I wouldn't mind getting something with a bigger engine, thought maybe a big A8 or BMW 530, slightly older and maybe a bit more miles to get within budget but that's maybe aiming a bit high.

So just wondering if anyone can think of something I haven't thought of?

Yes, a Honda Civic 2.2TD.

57/08 plate at a guess.

Celtic tuning remap on our one gave it 40 bhp more and 3-5mpg more.

138 bhp to 177 bhp done at your home cheaply.

Under rated car. Great quality and load space.

• Like 2

My 2.0l Skoda Superb 2.0 cr. dyno's at bang on 200hp* , gives 42-44 mpg on the daily commute and will do 49mpg on a long run. The same engine is found in many other cars in the vag range

*Totally stock apart from k&n panel filter

A mate of mine has a 535d but he has had a fair bit of trouble with it , currently it needs a new dpf and has a fault on one of the turbos. Big bills every time

Seriously. If your looking for reliability and real world mpg then I would at least take a test drive in a fabia VRS or a superb both with the proven 1.9 pdi engine. Bmw's are good cars but cost of repair is steep in comparison and your gonna be looking at an older car for the budget. No offends to anyone with a civic but I've driven a few & really don't rate them. The 2.2 Diesel engine is good but suits the Honda accord better. The civics suspension is overly firm for motorway mileage IMO. If skodas are really an absolute no then I'd be looking for a Mondeo, simples.

I had the same dilemma and bought an e90 320d bmw earlier this year. 52mpg on a run, 48 day to day. Absolutely delighted with it... lovely to drive, nice and quick, and bags of torque.

I paid £4800 for an 05 plate with 107k on the clock from a dealer, with a warranty.

Early 335D BMWs with high miles (2007) are getting cheap, finally.

I had one in 2008.

286 bhp and 428 lbs goes up to 340 bhp and 510 lbs with a simple remap.

That is serious shove from under 3 litres of derv power.

40 mpg.

Early 335D BMWs with high miles (2007) are getting cheap, finally.

I had one in 2008.

286 bhp and 428 lbs goes up to 340 bhp and 510 lbs with a simple remap.

That is serious shove from under 3 litres of derv power.

40 mpg.

I heard they were horrifically unreliable though, which put me off...?

Your need to triple OPs budget of £4-5k to get anything reassembling a half decent 335d, and than your need a spare £1-2k repair fund to keep the thing on the road.

I really cannot fault our 2.2 Civic, as a commuter car it's perfect, am averaging 50mpg on a 70 mile daily commute over mixture of urban and A road traffic. The suspension isn't great but I've kept a E90 330D honest on a 'spirited' twisty A road drive, so it's got more than enough poke.....oh also in nearly 80K NOTHING has broken, which is what you want if your counting on the car to get you from A to B daily :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

My mate's daily is a 530D it's just had an MOT at 246k and needed just a bulb I believe, and it gets some punishment round the country roads and been on a good few track days. TBF in the past he's had bigger jobs to do, but no giant bills. He's done what I did with the Zed and just found a quality indie who doesn't take the ****.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after much searching and still not being able to decide which diesel to get I was thrown a curveball as my mate who always done work on my cars bought a new range rover so was selling his Land Rovery Discovery 3 so I have decided to buy it off him.

It's the 2.7 Turbo diesel, but the bonus with this car is it's an ex-police Discovery used as a pursuit car then in later life as an accident investigation car, so it comes with all police modifications ie twin turbos :)

It's white and absolutely dominates the road wherever it goes, it is high mileage but full service history and my mate has taken 100% great care of it, only done 7k miles in last 3 years he has owned it.

Means I will be simply cruising from location to location for a wee while at least. He did say when your going down the motorway cars all pull out the way, mistaking it for a police car, which is nice :)

It doesn't have the additional seats installed but this means the boot is absolutely enormous, he pulled back the cover when he let down the tailgate to show me it, and when he was going to close it he couldn't even reach the curtain to close it again it goes in to the car that deep.

What I am struggling to find out anywhere is what kind of BHP these ex-cop cars put out, the standard single turbo edition has 188bhp, but can't find details of this anywhere.