Netflixs (or similar) instead of Sky

ioneabee

currently got sky movies (subscription due to come to end of 12 month contract)

the TV we have is not a smart TV, but does have built in digital

fancy netflix (or other type for movies etc) - can this work ?

or do I need something else ?

We have netflix, rolling monthly contract £7 a month. Worth every penny. 20 series of top gear on there, just finishing watching Derek. Our two year old loves watching Cars, Bugs Life, Toy Story and the like. Loads of past tv programmes, films are okish but you are paying SEVEN QUID a month and you can cancel with a months notice at any time. Do I want to tie myself into hundreds of pounds and a 12 month subscription with Sky, not a chance, I just don't care about TV that much.

as long as you don't want latest films etc netflix and lovefilm are great, easy in and easy out terms and low monthly charge. We prefer lovefilm as it also includes dvd's delivered to your home (these tend to be more up to date) £6.99p.m.

Netflix is internet based so if you don`t have a smart TV or something else to connect to the internet and display on your TV it wont work, Also it isn`t great for the latest films. Lovefilm by Post is better if you like the latest films. £4 a month and we get 2 DVD`s at a time.

To be honest I don't care for HD - really not that bothered. There might be the occasional CGI film where it works but do I care whilst browsing through various comedies and the like. Not really. Ours is not a smart TV either, we have Apple TV, £80 box which plays all my iTunes stuff and allows me to mirror my phone as well as play Netflix through it.

I've got 12-14mb speed - so that shouldn't be a problem

I haven't got a smart tv though - any other way (don't want to watch it on my pc or laptop)

what happens when you stop playing ball with sky

do they remotely switch the box off, are the menu features ie recording etc all still available ?

The legality is debatable.

It's streaming torrents, so if any of that data is on your computer, then it's illegal as far as I can see. That's been proven in court, just not with Popcorn Time yet.