Edit Function

Sorry dont want to be some sort of crusader but questioning why the edit function is left on indefinitely?

Imho there is no need to edit posts from days before unless you are knowingly trying to misrepresent something you have said.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Like 2

I find it useful and can foresee lots of uses for it.

Not sure why you want to limit functionality, I can almost guarantee if you remove it someone would want it back.

i have edited many posts, either they havent read correctly or i have spelled something wrong, left a word out etc, but that is within minutes of writing it, i have no idea why anyone would want to revisit a post made days/weeks before to change what they have written entirely.

As on another forum i use, the edit function is only available for ltd time for mistakes to be corrected, i think its a day only.

It's especially useful when you sell stuff to be able to go back and edit the title bar to "Now Sold" or something, saves people looking at stuff which isn't available any more

All you need is to notify a moderator. The problem, which I believe Jetpilot is referring to, is that its open to abuse. I have noticed one instance today that was not in forum spirit at all.

Edited by Neilp

Updating attendance lists if you are organising events.

Updating photos in your own threads

Updating relevant content.

Just because a tool can be abused doesn't mean it should be removed, seems rather excessive.

If you think something looks a little odd raise it to the mods but I can guarantee if it's removed people would find they need it.

• Like 3

It's especially useful when you sell stuff to be able to go back and edit the title bar to "Now Sold" or something, saves people looking at stuff which isn't available any more

All you need is to notify a moderator. The problem, which I believe Jetpilot is referring to, is that its open to abuse. I have noticed one instance today that was not in forum spirit at all.

Report it please Neil or contact a mod :)
  • Like 1

I think that for 99% of the time this forum really doesn't need to do that, I can't remember the last time I was asked to do anything about adverse re editing and I'm a little surprised that you feel the need to make an issue of it because of those reasons. As has already been said, we have a perfectly good reporting system and everyone has the ability to contact a moderator if they wish to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a post edit history log available on IP Board? That way you could have the best of both worlds. Security that no one lies and flexibility for the users updating legitimate posts.