Asian Giant Hornet

Jetpilot

Just woke up to one of these giant mother f..........s in my room!

Yes i know this thread is worthless without pics but god damn it was big, at least 2" long and a chunky b......t with a nasty look in his eye, i apologise for not thinking, i should get the camera, but i was tackle out, slightly dazed from just waking to what i thought was a helicopter buzzing around my bedroom and i just wanted it out! ;)

You have been warned, but on the plus side, you would have no trouble swatting it due to the size ;)

• Like 1

Not expected to reach this far North thankfully :)

In Great Britain we would not expect Asian hornets to establish outside southern parts of England and Wales due to colder weather

Pete

We get a load of May beetles or whatever they are. They are armoured up and given wings to fly with, but heck me, they're really not cut out for flying.

Funny thing is the Mrs shrieks at anything that isn't human, and with the cat we get a multitude of animal life brought into the house. I've turned into Chris Packham to deal with all the nature that's either flown/crawled in of it's own ability or if dragged in by the cat.

We get a load of May beetles or whatever they are. They are armoured up and given wings to fly with, but heck me, they're really not cut out for flying.

Funny thing is the Mrs shrieks at anything that isn't human, and with the cat we get a multitude of animal life brought into the house. I've turned into Chris Packham to deal with all the nature that's either flown/crawled in of it's own ability or if dragged in by the cat.

That is what i thought the buzzing was as already had a couple of them in, but when i opened my eyes, well lets put it like this, i am off to buy a fly screen, i have woken to some scary things in the morning ;) but not nothing like that ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

They are Cockchafers. They fly at dusk and are attracted by light. We get them here now and again and despite the fact they're harmless they are quite frightening if they buzz around your head (or land on it :scare: ). Cats find them quite tasty though :) .

Pete

According to DEFRA there have been no confirmed sightings of the Asian Giant Hornet in The U.K . I found this report dated today, all previous sightings where the hornets have been examined by experts have turned out to be native hornets...phew.

"However, a spokesman from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said: "There have been no confirmed sightings of Asian hornets in the UK - they are smaller than our own native hornets and are no more dangerous.

"We are aware of the potential impacts they could have on honey bees and have plans in place to eradicate them if they are identified.

"In Great Britain we would not expect Asian hornets to establish outside southern parts of England and Wales due to colder weather."

Pete