Terraclean

anglais49

Anyone had this done? Got any feedback? Recommend/warn off?

Looks like a no brainer good idea for 10yr old engines...

http://www.terraclea...bout-terraclean

*edit - I had TerraClean done and posted the review lower in this thread, but thought I'd post here too for anyone opening new to find:

Had the TerraClean done yesterday, was £108 in the end, VAT on top of the £90.

It took about an hour and a half. They disconnect the fuel system, plug in their magic black box, pump the super fuel through it for about half an hour, leave it to do it's thing for about 20 minutes, then pump more through and flush it all out. Reconnect everything, take it for a little drive, check everything is all good when they get it back, and boom it's done.

I'd had a chat with a few people beforehand and was intrigued by how much difference I would notice after. My dad actually had it done on his 2010 Auris diesel earlier that morning and said he could tell the difference in the first 100 yards. Noticeably smoothly, both at tickover and climbing the revs. Things like a little hesitation at 2k rpm were smoothed right out... so my expectations were high given that mine is an 11-year old engine. Surely there had been a lot of carbon and gunk build up in that time...

To be honest, I was underwhelmed with the first drive. I probably expected too much. I don't think I could tell much difference. Sometimes I thought it felt lovely and smooth, but I can't be sure I'm not just trying to feel it. And really, I never had any complaints about it before. I didn't get it done because I could feel imperfections that I wanted to address. On the second drive of it this morning I did notice a bit more - probably because it's my familiar commute. The responsiveness and smoothness of motion, particularly at lower revs in higher gears, is noticeable.

But on the whole, there is nothing night and day about it. I wonder if it's because the Z engine is so damn good to start with. Being a large capacity V6, it's a naturally smooth and responsive unit anyway, right? Much more so than in your "normal" cars and especially diesels. And mine is still in banging condition after 11 years.

Chatting to the garage owner there, he's only had his TerraClean for about five weeks, so they haven't had a whole lot of feedback yet. He's run it through some of his own vehicles like the old company van and some battered 20yr old Mondeo diesel. On coughing, spluttering, smoking heaps, there's a massive difference. On mpg and emissions too. He was eager to hear back from me with my feedback from a good condition performance car, so it'll be a shame not to have a more rave review for him.

I'd be interested to hear whether others here have a similar experience with their Zs. Maybe it's just me missing something! It might be that I notice a difference in mpg after a while, though that's unlikely too since I've always done my best not to think about how much fuel it goes through!

Having said all that, my motivation for doing it wasn't so that it would feel like a new car. I wasn't expecting to jump into another 20bhp or something brand new... It just seems a good idea to do whatever I can to look after the life of the engine. Apparently BMW and Subaru (not clear on whether this is manufacturer or dealer) are recommending TerraClean as part of every annual service now.

Edited by anglais49
  • Like 1

My cars 10 yrs old now and this looks interesting.

Saw Mr China doing it a while ago on Wheeler a Dealers and forgot about it. Just googled it and found two local dealers who do it so will call them on Monday for prices and a chat.

We got the same product from BG Products about 18 months back in the workshop and had some really good success with it. We tried it on a number of cars including a 200,000 miles Focus Diesel and a V8 SL Merc both of which had a huge reduction in emissions and are still going strong now with no side effects notice.

I also tried in on my girlfreinds old R reg Toyota Starlet which hadn't had a service for at least 30K and it made a big difference to the way it drove as it had been pretty sluggish before. We had carried out a service before the BG service and ran it for 1000 miles so had a good comparison to go on.

Since we sold the workshop the new owners sell services using the machine regularly.

• Like 1

i had mine done a few months back and posted the results. Since having the process, I've noticed the car seems to rev a lot more easily, and the exhaust note seems slighty better. I haven't run any tests and I don't have a before and after emissions' print out, but the car certainly feels more responsive and livelier.

Intriguing, I'll potentially do this as well, there is a center about 5 mins from me that does it.

Let the Forum know when you have done it.. :thumbs:

Absolutely, I've just got some other bits to sort out first (Cobra exhaust being priority 1) :lol:

Booked for Wednesday in Bicester, £90. That was quick!

Oooh - ok, definitely keep us posted on this !

I'd really like to see a dyno pull on it, just to see if there are really any differences like that as well.

• Like 1

Intriguing, I'll potentially do this as well, there is a center about 5 mins from me that does it.

Let the Forum know when you have done it.. :thumbs:

Absolutely, I've just got some other bits to sort out first (Cobra exhaust being priority 1) :lol:

Booked for Wednesday in Bicester, £90. That was quick!

Oooh - ok, definitely keep us posted on this !

I'd really like to see a dyno pull on it, just to see if there are really any differences like that as well.

Mine is going down to Abbey in a couple of weeks for UpRev, but it's a shame I don't have any figures from pre-TerraClean to compare it to...

Had the TerraClean done yesterday, was £108 in the end, VAT on top of the £90.

It took about an hour and a half. They disconnect the fuel system, plug in their magic black box, pump the super fuel through it for about half an hour, leave it to do it's thing for about 20 minutes, then pump more through and flush it all out. Reconnect everything, take it for a little drive, check everything is all good when they get it back, and boom it's done.

I'd had a chat with a few people beforehand and was intrigued by how much difference I would notice after. My dad actually had it done on his 2010 Auris diesel earlier that morning and said he could tell the difference in the first 100 yards. Noticeably smoothly, both at tickover and climbing the revs. Things like a little hesitation at 2k rpm were smoothed right out... so my expectations were high given that mine is an 11-year old engine. Surely there had been a lot of carbon and gunk build up in that time...

To be honest, I was underwhelmed with the first drive. I probably expected too much. I don't think I could tell much difference. Sometimes I thought it felt lovely and smooth, but I can't be sure I'm not just trying to feel it. And really, I never had any complaints about it before. I didn't get it done because I could feel imperfections that I wanted to address. On the second drive of it this morning I did notice a bit more - probably because it's my familiar commute. The responsiveness and smoothness of motion, particularly at lower revs in higher gears, is noticeable.

But on the whole, there is nothing night and day about it. I wonder if it's because the Z engine is so damn good to start with. Being a large capacity V6, it's a naturally smooth and responsive unit anyway, right? Much more so than in your "normal" cars and especially diesels. And mine is still in banging condition after 11 years.

Chatting to the garage owner there, he's only had his TerraClean for about five weeks, so they haven't had a whole lot of feedback yet. He's run it through some of his own vehicles like the old company van and some battered 20yr old Mondeo diesel. On coughing, spluttering, smoking heaps, there's a massive difference. On mpg and emissions too. He was eager to hear back from me with my feedback from a good condition performance car, so it'll be a shame not to have a more rave review for him.

I'd be interested to hear whether others here have a similar experience with their Zs. Maybe it's just me missing something! It might be that I notice a difference in mpg after a while, though that's unlikely too since I've always done my best not to think about how much fuel it goes through!

Having said all that, my motivation for doing it wasn't so that it would feel like a new car. I wasn't expecting to jump into another 20bhp or something brand new... It just seems a good idea to do whatever I can to look after the life of the engine. Apparently BMW and Subaru (not clear on whether this is manufacturer or dealer) are recommending TerraClean as part of every annual service now.

• Like 3

Also take into account that most zed owners use super unleaded which is cleaner than normal unleaded so the engine will have less carbon build up inside. The fact that we boot them about a bit most drives also keeps them cleaner internally.

This could also start a conversation about fuel but here goes anyway : My other half used to own a garage and petrol station and the petrol company rep stated that the supermarket fuel was cheaper because it had less additives in it so based on that I try and stick to shell all the time.

Again it may not be a difference you would notice because booting the car about with pleanty of revs reguarly will keep the carbon build up down.

Guess its a case of :snack: and see where this goes !