I received a speeding ticket today

14N

Caught by a static roadside camera near my house - 35 in a 30 in my previous daily driver :(:thumbdown:

But, hold on a minute, the date of the offence is the date I traded in my shed for my Clio 182.

The guy’s mate who I bought the Clio off delivered it to my house as it wasn’t taxed at the time (and he had trade plates).

The time of the offence is 17:07

When writing me a receipt for the sale/exchange, I made him note the time – It was 5pm.

Bingo! :yahoo: It wasn’t me Guv’nor! :lol:

Moral of the story: Always note the time of a sale, cos you never know….. :teeth:

• Like 16

That's lucky, mate! Lol when did you buy Clio? As they only have 2 weeks to notify you if you got caught(unless its a company car)

I think I got caught in my work van last Friday by a mobile camera...last time it took them 2 month to inform me! Might ring lease company next week myself to see if they received any tickets :(

Oh wait there...time of offence 17:07 and you bought car @17:00... So isn't that makes you the owner at the time of offence?

hmm thats the way it reads ? or re-reads in my case :lol:

35 in a 30 in my previous daily driver :(:thumbdown:

I read this as the guy is speeding as he leaves from Ian's place after the deal is done :)

Edited by mattross1313
  • Like 2

The guy was caught by a camera as he left mine in my old car after completing the deal. (As Matt said).

The date the speeding ticket was printed is exactly one month (to the date) of when the sale took place - so well outside of the 14 day/2 week window. Either way, not my problem. I wasn't driving.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, I specifically remember saying to the guy when he was writing the receipt;

"Better put the time on it too, in case you've sped through a load of cameras on your way over here (Haha, jokes)".

I never expected it would actually come to light that it would in turn be true (although in reverse) :lol:

• Like 1

Funny thing is, I specifically remember saying to the guy when he was writing the receipt;

"Better put the time on it too, in case you've sped through a load of cameras on your way over here (Haha, jokes)".

I never expected it would actually come to light that it would in turn be true (although in reverse) :lol:

buy a lottery ticket for tomorrow :thumbs:

Oh sorry, my bad, didn't read it properly and missed out "exchange" bit :)

Regarding times:

How long the police have to issue a speeding notice

The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it's served later than this, for example:

if extra time is needed for the police to act with 'reasonable diligence' to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them; or

if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when i bought my zed. 1 week later i had a letter through the post stating my saab was recorded speeding significantly over the limit.

Instant reaction was "oh crap"....not literally but it did panic me

Then i checked the time and date and found it was the day after i handed the keys over.

Sooooo relieved

Pretty sure the 2 week thing is a myth.

Yes it is, they have upto 6 months to do you.

Not according to the offical source: ;)

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

Hmmm is it possible they have already sent to the new keeper and they have denied any knowledge then contacted the former keeper?

Please keep in mind if it was part exchanged with a trader I don't think they have to register it under a certain period and if they shifted it quickly.... Just a thought :shrug:

Edited by Fodder

I dodged a similar bullet Ian many years ago when I traded in an old car.

The garage I traded it in with only gave me scrap value (£150) for my 92 Rover 214si ~ I was happy with that tbh as I had abused the hell out of it around Castle Combe several times and it wasn't in great shape. :lol: Plus it had no tax & the MOT had just expired.

Anyway they sold it the very next day to a guy who planned on fixing it up. He left it outside his house and the Plod sent me a ticket a month or so later for having an untaxed vehicle on the road. I was so chuffed when I realized that it was nothing to do with me. :yahoo:

Sales receipts are good for something it would seem. :D

I have played the 14 day game and won :thumbs:

The story - (not that you care)

The day I bought the car (not the Zed this was years ago - I or my wife or a friend (everyone wants to drive the new toy) went through a static camera that hadn't worked for the last 2 year :dry: at 36 MPH

46 days later I get a ticket - after doing my research I reply that I can not remember who was driving the car 46 days ago me the wife my friend everyone wants to drive the new car :shrug:

I also mention that the NIP was not posted inside 14 days

They reply that the first NIP was sent within 14 days but to the previous owner as the registration change had not gone through and in these circumstances they had longer to send the NIP out :scare:

So I reply well that's as maybe but I still don't know who was driving the car 50+ days ago :surrender:

So they say I must tell them or I will be prosecuted for not telling them.

So I sent a letter back to say well if the crime is poor memory I'm guilty as charged - but I still can't remember who was driving the damn car so see you in court :blush:

That's it never heard another thing about it :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 5

I have played the 14 day game and won :thumbs:

The story - (not that you care)

The day I bought the car (not the Zed this was years ago - I or my wife or a friend (everyone wants to drive the new toy) went through a static camera that hadn't worked for the last 2 year :dry: at 36 MPH

46 days later I get a ticket - after doing my research I reply that I can not remember who was driving the car 46 days ago me the wife my friend everyone wants to drive the new car :shrug:

I also mention that the NIP was not posted inside 14 days

They reply that the first NIP was sent within 14 days but to the previous owner as the registration change had not gone through and in these circumstances they had longer to send the NIP out :scare:

So I reply well that's as maybe but I still don't know who was driving the car 50+ days ago :surrender:

So they say I must tell them or I will be prosecuted for not telling them.

So I sent a letter back to say well if the crime is poor memory I'm guilty as charged - but I still can't remember who was driving the damn car so see you in court :blush:

That's it never heard another thing about it :thumbs:

Cool story bro... Tell it again :lol:

I wonder if ill be able to play that game with my work van...need to check with my manager! Lol

• Like 1