Drive way problems ~ help appreciated

GMballistic

Just wanted to run this past some of you to see what thoughts any of you had about this matter.

I live on a hill and my drive way has a fairly steep angle to it. I always approach it from the top of the street in order to give me the best angle and ground clearance to get over the hump.

Now the problem is that every car I've had including the Zed seems to scrape a little each time I drive onto it and tbh I've reached my breaking point with this now. :angry: Just the thought of it scraping my Invidia exhaust each time is pi**ing me right off. :rant:

Now I've tried simple things before, my latest idea being to chip away small pieces of concrete in the centre of the drive way using a concrete chisel but it still hasn't fixed the scraping issue.

My latest plan is to go and buy some ready mix concrete tomorrow and basically build two small concrete lumps onto the driveway. Like the picture below.

Untitled_zps726d5c4f.png

It's worth noting that I cannot just flatten the top of the driveway out where it scrapes as it is part of the pavement so does not belong to me.

My thinking is that these lumps will lift the front wheels up just enough to allow the centre of the underneath of the car clearance when I drive on.

I was thinking of driving the car onto the drive, then when it begins to scrape, mark where the front wheels are and position my concrete lumps there. Making each one approximately a foot long and around 2-3 inches high or so.

Can anyone see any problems arising from this or does anyone have any pointers with this type of DIY?.

Thanks for any input. :thumbs:

Nice diagram :teeth: if it was me I'd flatten out the bit that's causing the problem regardless weather it's mine or the pavement side.

And get bent over as soon as the highways/council find it.

My first thought was move.... But if you can't get permission to modify the public side your solution looks like it will help. I can't advise on application though.

The concrete will break up in no time. If your going to do that you need to dig into the drive and sink the hump into the drive then patch back into it.

Ive a similar problem but find if i drive onto my drive at an angle then nothing catches.

• Like 1

Fine in theory but as lmc says the concrete will break up if it's not embedded ... maybe better to use a proprietary "hump" which I'll check out and let you know

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

Nice diagram :teeth: if it was me I'd flatten out the bit that's causing the problem regardless weather it's mine or the pavement side.

And get bent over as soon as the highways/council find it.

My first thought was move.... But if you can't get permission to modify the public side your solution looks like it will help. I can't advise on application though.

I originally was going to say talk to local council about it but they would probably reject your concerns and also then know about the issue and come and check up on it!

Thank you everyone for your input. :)

I didn't really think about the concrete breaking up. I just assumed that once it had set it would be good for years but I guess that's wrong. :doh:

Fine in theory but as lmc says the concrete will break up if it's not embedded ... maybe better to use a proprietary "hump" which I'll check out and let you know

Have a look at this

http://www.marshalls...ump-webfa100044

I like that idea ATTAK Z but they're not cheap. Had a look at prices for those speed bumps and the cheapest like that I found was still around £70.

What do you think of this though; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261406410894?var=560300548198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Only £10 as well so I thought I could buy one and just cut it in half to do both sides.

Would need to fix it to the drive though with bolts but shouldn't be that hard. Thanks again for any info. :thumbs:

What do you think of this though; http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Only £10 as well so I thought I could buy one and just cut it in half to do both sides.

Would need to fix it to the drive though with bolts but shouldn't be that hard. Thanks again for any info. :thumbs:

Yep looks like that'll do the same job

• Like 1

To test the theory and to see if it is worth digging into the drive to make a permanent "bump" why not get a piece of 2x8 C24 timber - chamfer the ends and get a coupe of congrip screws (concrete screws that don't need raw plugs)counter sink them screw it down see how it goes - it will last a good few months and if its no good just un-screw and bin :)

• Like 5

To test the theory and to see if it is worth digging into the drive to make a permanent "bump" why not get a piece of 2x8 C24 timber - chamfer the ends and get a coupe of congrip screws (concrete screws that don't need raw plugs)counter sink them screw it down see how it goes - it will last a good few months and if its no good just un-screw and bin :)

That's a good idea Keyser. I'll see how the eBay speed bump goes, then I'll try the wood, then I'll try the concrete last. ;)

If all else fails ~ Probably followed by a professional builder who knows his sh*t. :lol:;)

^^ That's so cool Doogy. :lol:B)

That'll be my 4th option then, between using concrete & getting a professional builder in as it's probably pretty expensive to do. :surrender::teeth:

I bet the shocks will be cheaper than a builder :stir:

I feel your pain.

Drove my brand spanking new zed home from the dealership.

Get home and the front of my Nismo bumper scraped as I tried to enter the drive!

Luckily I was going slow and stopped.

Only a slight scratch on the underside.

Finally found 1 safe angle onto the drive.......phew.

Hope your plan works out :tumbs:

I feel your pain.

Drove my brand spanking new zed home from the dealership.

Get home and the front of my Nismo bumper scraped as I tried to enter the drive!

Luckily I was going slow and stopped.

Only a slight scratch on the underside.

Finally found 1 safe angle onto the drive.......phew.

Hope your plan works out :tumbs:

Thanks bud ~ will report back once I get my eBay speed bump in place. :D;)

id make some wooden shuttering and use a concrete mix to put into wooden shuttering and let set"" just make shure its over 3inch thick as will brake up in winter!

Thanks for the info. ;)

Got a cheap (£10) speed bump which may give me just enough clearance to get the Zed in nicely. Otherwise I'm going to start looking at some of the other ideas like yours. :thumbs: