How to replace headlights bulbs without removing front bumber

japcarsbrett

Hello everyone,

So as my title says how to change your headlight bulbs without taking the bumper off.

I couldn't find anywhere on how to change the headlight bulbs without taking the bumper off and I searched everywhere on here and on google and everyone said you have to remove the front bumper I refused to believe the car would be designed like this lol.

I'm sure lot's of you guys know this but I have only owned my Zed for a week :p.

So this guide is for the people that have not long owned there Zed and those that like me don't want to remove the front bumper to change the bulbs and searched everywhere on the forum and internet that couldn't find how to change the headlight bulbs/side light bulbs without taking the front bumper off, and take less time doing so, as this took me 20-30 mins all together including changing bulbs both sides I would have been quicker but it was all guess work so next time now I know what to do I’d expect 15 mins easy.

Here are my pictures and step by step guide.

First I jacked the front of the car up and removed the front wheels, I'd expect you could do it with the wheels on full lock but it's much easier with them off IMO and that's what I did.

brett1.jpg.94c888d38bf62d5e52d60c75437ae6f1.jpg

In the upper inner arch you will see 3 plastic clips holding the inner arch together take them out first then undo 3 screws in and up under the wing, and the inner upper arch will come down a lot easier you don't need to take the arches off to do this just pull them down as you will see in the pictures.

brett2.jpg.c49e1b66d8b8b3f1e78da500843df0c3.jpg

This is of the 3 plastic clips you have to pull off (careful not to break them)

brett3.jpg.7939648bb5782c784078c69715173a3e.jpg

This is one of the 3 three screws you will have remove in the arch.

Un tuck the inner arch and pull these three clips out this is where you took the 3 screws out from.

brett4.jpg.73af17fe966f11faaaa6e2c9053cc2c1.jpg

brett5.jpg.ad7590e193787c027e0478b801b336dd.jpg

You will have to pull the inner arches back and away from the wings as they are tucked in behind the wings and tucked in behind three plastic clips where you took the three screws out from you can take the three clips off (as pictured above) as it will make it a lot easier for you to pull the inner arches away from the wings.

brett6.jpg.26dd0650d63ff1137a87ecfd308af1dd.jpg

Now you have pulled the inner arches down you will be able to see the cover for the headlights.

What I did was gentley place the inner arch under the suspension to stop it getting in my way.

brett7.jpg.053fb4bac4f5a2b7d5877d829f97669d.jpg

You will have to undo the cover of the headlights to pull it off, mine was fairly tight as it was properly never been off before if so a very long time ago.

Now you can see the connection of the headlight bulb to the dipped beam bulb (pre facelift model) turn it to the left and it will come off nicely.

brett8.jpg.6a35f2d840e1dfc3657d42e5cb20dca5.jpg

Once you have taken the terminal off, you need to turn the terminal towards the left to do this, (as pictured below the terminal is off), you will have to push 2 clips inwards and pull them around the bulb, this is holding the bulbs in place to the light unit.

brett9.jpg.485ceec027ecdce3f96950206c6182f0.jpg

Now pull the bulb out nice and carefully, note the way they come out as you will have to put the replacement bulbs in the same way else they won't clip back in correctly.

brett10.jpg.568c6decedc344b29d3b5c2b45015db4.jpg

Here you can see where the sidelight bulb is (pictured below) just turn to the terminal to the left to pull the sidelight unit out.

brett11.jpg.d2230df6e4da6851e42fa87d167d4570.jpg

brett12.jpg.2fc407b1d44071ef28b79733b2c361df.jpg

Now put the replacement bulbs back in don't forget to put the clips around the bulbs on correctly and don't forget to put the cover back on over the headlight terminals, also make sure the O rings are in place correctly and not hanging off on the cover, you don't want your headlight unit to steam up :).

brett13.jpg.351e69e1217f31a1f3f6cf4f9810d705.jpg

Don't forget to test the bulbs first before you put everything back together you don't want to put everything back and find out you have another faulty bulb or your new ones don't work :).

Now replace the inner arch back how you took it out tucking it in behind the wings don't forget to replace the three little plastic holders for the screws if you took them off.

brett14.jpg.8f19591b266ae764a233582680aec9d8.jpg

Replace the 3 plastic clips you first took off careful not break them, then screw back in the 3 screws I put some grease around them so next time they will be easier to get off and it will prevent them from rusting, put your wheels back on let the car down JOB DONE :).

Hope this guide helps some of you out.

Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great thread! Got to be quicker than taking the bumper off!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I would have thought it would be quicker as i looked into taking the bumper off and you have to remove all the screws clips etc then disconnected the washers, I just thought i'd give this ago i'll take the bumper off one day and see which is quicker but for now i know this way and to be fair it was quite quick but i'd do it a lot quicker and easier next time now i know what I'm doing :thumbs:

• 9 months later...

Great post, much appreciated!

Just a quick question, when installing the new bulb, do have the sort of external filament thing on the bottom/side/top?

I don't know if it makes any difference but I put my ones with the filament on the bottom.

The bulbs have notches in the base plate so they can only be inserted one way, pre-facelift as well as bi-xenons

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...