Busy day at the Zed Shed - new head unit (with a difference!)

SteveM

Had the great pleasure of a visit to the Zed Shed today.... So this story starts with me messaging Buster asking if he was up for a challenge! I wanted to replace the standard unit with a sat nav unit (nothing new there) but i didn't want a complicated to use all signing and dancing aftermarket one.. No I have been researching a Nissan Connect sat nav unit from a qashqai which has the advantage of a sat nav system but being a standard nissan part looks pretty oem and is really easy to use! and I couldn't see why with a bit of busters help is shouldn't fit..... How hard can it be!!! Famous last words!

The plugs are completely different and the face of the unit is a completely different size to either the standard or any after market units.. Just as a starter!

Anyway a lot of research on my part looking for PIN numbers and with a modified facia adaptor which took a while to get right plus the head unit and two wiring adaptors plus gps aerial, USB plug and modified radio aerial iPad for reference pictures and a box of donuts in hand I drove the 100 miles down from my place

This was not a simple fit! But with bobs knowledge and a bit of lateral thinking in places the new head unit was in and it's great! Sat nav, USB input, speed camera warning... It all works as it should! Just need to hitch up the speed control wire (bob the gps doesn't do it)

I also had the pleasure of seeing a bit of the current engine build in progress... I turned up and there was a floor covers in bits and then the next time I looked the floor was clear and it was all fitted to the engine! These guys and gals don't hang about!!!

Thank you for the help and the hospitality!

Anyway on to the pics sorry for the poor quality!

photo_zps3bd28462.jpg

photo_zps13e2ca8a.jpg

photo_zpse9a33214.jpg

photo_zps98b16963.jpg

photo_zps904ba1f1.jpg

photo_zps984babec.jpg

• Like 1

Good work fellas looks the business :)

Is any Nissan welcome to the shed ;)

Your new one is ;):thumbs:

@ OP I have a few pics I'll upload in a bit Steve, Great to see you again today, although you and Buster did all the Mods on yours :)

Great Job :thumbs:

• Like 2

The beauty of the unit is how easy it is to use! Some aftermarket units are far too complicated this one has all the simple 1 touch buttons but also has touch screen and sat nav built in. Very happy

:clap: Seems an excellent result

• Like 1

And from me -

Some one is happy to be here

KODC0152_zps7233b353.jpg

The rest are just random shots I took as these 2 ripped Steve's dash apart and reassembled it after completely re working the wiring loom, all seems to work including the steering wheel controls.

Some nice research by Steve and a very OEM looking but improved HU.

KODC0142_zpsa9e42fcf.jpg

KODC0130_zps469117e0.jpg

KODC0131_zps5e57d2db.jpg

KODC0137_zps7d77b62c.jpg

KODC0141_zpsb41aed7c.jpg

KODC0138_zps171078b6.jpg

KODC0143_zpse523dd34.jpg

Of course he got stickered

KODC0154_zpsa34ffad8.jpg

KODC0155_zpsd3fe007a.jpg

Nice work guys

See you again soon Steve :thumbs:

• Like 1

Bob, you are fast becoming the go to guy for 350Z head .

Fixed that for you :lol: :lol:

Sorry Robert - couldn't resist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that a disease or a metaphor for something else??? :blush: