Other car forums, don't even compare

ddcboyle

Been looking at the audi a5 car forums, trying to ask some questions and the forums layouts are just horrendous. Theres no sub categories, or anything. Its just "a5 forum" and that's it. Registered to 4 of them so far and their all the same. Had a topic up there for 4days now, 55 views and not one reply, and it is simple questions.

Are most car forums like that, or are there forums quite similar to the zed forum? All im thinking now is, even if I get a new car in the future, ill stay on this forum for the community, forum help and sales team.

Was just shocked how different other car forums are. Granted there is only one 350z and one 370z. But It was just like a child made the forum.

I think most are pretty crap to be honest! I used to be on the MLR forum when I had my Evo and that was good, but I just signed up to the Production BMW Championship forum and it seems pretty pants. I've also been trying to find out about Alfa Romeos for some research before my g/f buys a duffer to replace her written-off Fiesta and that's been pretty hard going too - some forums are so hard to navigate I've about given up!

Seems this is a community, and the other forums are just... literally a place to post problems. Maybe its the rareness of the car, which makes us wave at each other :lol: so we feel compelled to stick to each other?

Perhaps... or maybe we didn't pick our cars, they chose us.... and they only chose decent people! :thumbs:

• Like 2

I'm on a couple of others , one for my caddy van and the other for my boat and there not a patch on this one. You can wait ages to get a response which is why I don't really bother with them and stay on here! :)

Presuming that most car faults, when explained, can still be pinpointed down to common faults? i.e. when you get a knocking noise when braking etc, always points to the banana arm on a zed. Are things like that roughly the same on each car? Just curious if i could still use this forum for new cars?

The other forums ive been on have been good, but I guess I must have been lucky with both the Mazda RX8 and Hyundai coupe club forums.

Maybe the less common cars are the better groups? i.e. with an a5, you have about 95 different versions, the 1.8t, 2.0t, diesels, high litres, s-lines, s5, rs5 etc. Where as our style of car are more select? or maybe its just down to certain people running the forum?

Just strange how you go on some forums and think "why the hell did you design it like this?"

granted, when i first came on the zed forum it was a bit confusing with so many different links, but after a week or so you get used to where you should be looking etc

I a certain car is bought by a certain person, an A5 could be a sales rep or company car. They won't be a petrol head however like 350z, skyline,,, scooby :yuck: we are a different breed completely :lol: although after than astra VXR topic I looked on the VXR forum,,, wow they are a breed of their own :lol:

I'm on a couple of others , one for my caddy van and the other for my boat and there not a patch on this one. You can wait ages to get a response which is why I don't really bother with them and stay on here! :)

You will always get a reply on here, but maybe not the one you wanted..!! :scare:;)

• Like 1

You will always get a reply on here, but maybe not the one you wanted..!! :scare:;)

:lol: I can live with that Will :thumbs:

The admins on here spend a fair amount of time tweaking and improving to make the feel of the forum work and not just the software. I havent a clue what they are talking about but it seems to work. I am also a great believer in members getting together for meets and shows. This helps a lot to elevate it from a forum to a community. Also worth mentioning that we have what is probably the best, most professional and most helpful traders around. :)

The fact that I only have a few buttons to push probably helps too. :lol:

• Like 2

www.sxoc.com/vbb is brilliant, sadly its in decline a little now as the cars just arent as popular as they were but at one time you could ask a question on anything from love life advice to nuclear physics and know it would be answered accurately within 1/2 an hour, I still post up mechanical problems with my other cars there before the actual owners clubs as generally the response is faster and better, theres a real extended family thats built up over the years as well.

This place reminds me of SXOC about 6/7 years ago as well, I have no doubt it will mature into the same thing - we missed our chance to branch out and keep it growing so I doubt it will ever be the same again, but the 350 and 370 are popular cars that are still at the higher end of the price scale, Ive got to add that this place is well moderated with some good members as well, long may it continue :)

ETA: MArtinmac is spot on, a good forum becomes much more than just the cars and their owners, you get a real sense of community and meeting up in person is essential IMO, again the team here do a cracking job of organising events, thats what keeps the club together - I estimate at least 30% of SXOC members havent owned a 200Sx for years but they keep coming back, this place is the same :)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Imo this is definitely the best car forum I've ever used or been a privilege to be a member on.

Some of the other car forums that I've been on that are worth a mention; Scoobynet & CTRO (Civic Type R Owners) ~ do have fairly easy to use layouts and have been good at times but not a patch on this site.

I think it's the other members, traders, mods and sheer wealth of knowledge on here that makes this such a great car site/forum community. :thumbs:

I'm a vBulletin fan to be honest, just used it for so long, the Admin support forums were great for everything too.

The Honda forums were pretty good to be fair, high traffic, lots of different topics a very good community with loads of events and awesome sponsors.

Then people get older, circumstances change, the cars age become cheaper, scene, fashions and opinions also change.

That said, what I might now find a annoying, same question, cliquey forum is fresh new adventure for someone else to get into with nothing to loose.

Just never take it too seriously, help where you can and don't get MAD, it's the internet.

5471810846_1acb210ed1_o.jpg

• Like 2

I think most are pretty crap to be honest! I used to be on the MLR forum when I had my Evo and that was good, but I just signed up to the Production BMW Championship forum and it seems pretty pants. I've also been trying to find out about Alfa Romeos for some research before my g/f buys a duffer to replace her written-off Fiesta and that's been pretty hard going too - some forums are so hard to navigate I've about given up!

A few years ago I used to pop on the Fiat Forum occasionally. It was probably about 6 years ago so I'm not sure what it's like now, but it might have an Alfa Romeo section as they share parts so might be worth checking out?

I do find I read this forum a lot. Although I don't really post all that often I do usually have a read and a laugh a few times a day. I suppose this also means the more you read it, the more chance there is of spotting a problem you can give advice on, which in turn improves the forum :)

Edited by KurtB

You mean they're not all like this?

This is my first and only forum and if the Zed ever goes, I can't imagine not asking to be allowed to stay (you need approval to remain yeah?) even if I end up with a dark pump guzzler with those weird seats in the boot. It is a real community and it shows how fantastic the web can be when it is done right, by and for the benefit of the members, it's a proper mutual. Now I think before any major life decision, be it car related or otherwise, What Would The Forum Say? That's because of both the members and the heroes (and they are heroes) that keep it going.

This thread got me thinking just now about how pleased I was when first joined and got help with no flaming or "shut up noob" stuff. Then I was thinking, it must have been about a year now, just checked, in fact it was a year ago yesterday.

I was quite keen on the Zed before I signed up, so probably would have bought one anyway, but my enthusiasm for it went nuts when I felt the Zed love on here. I'd never before so much as bought after market valve caps before 14th Jan 2013 :lol:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I F****** LOVE YOU GUYS and thanks for giving me the gift of Zeditis!

• Like 4