What league is the 350z in?

ddcboyle

I really want to give an older m3 a go, I had someone the other day give me the eye at the lights. A little revs. But had a stupid 7ft book case the the car!! Lol

You can now get all your books on an iPad don't you know ???

I dont really see evos and scoobs being sports cars, they are rally derived saloon cars, i have had a couple of both and whilst very quick point to point and up to 80 ish they arent geared to push on from there, i would say a z would be on there tails if you were rolling and carrying some speed, unless they are fettled with!

Do we need a kit car category for VX's? ;)

...wont rise to that!

I really want to give an older m3 a go, I had someone the other day give me the eye at the lights. A little revs. But had a stupid 7ft book case the the car!! Lol

You can now get all your books on an iPad don't you know ???

Haha! Yeah, the mrs wanted it. Hence my post on getting it home in zed in it! Lol

Where does a Cayman fit in? Reason I ask is they keep winking at me when I'm driving past them... I think Dan's bandings are pretty fair, but the category Sports Saloon needs to be under Sports - too much compromise and they don't have a sports soul underneath.

Also, no FWD ever goes in the category of sports. I love hot hatches, but I'd rather a slower sports car than a fast scrabble-wagon.

Couldnt agree more :thumbs:

Its a good thread this, had a good read at it too. I think it just depends on the meaning of 'league'. You could fire in that its the price/power. You could...if you wanted to... put it down to looks. The Zeds can get more looks than cars costing a lot, lot more. In terms of pace, with reasonably pacey cars, in reality, half a second etc you aren’t gonna bother… most people driving about won’t. It’s a pub top trumps issue that lol. So I would put the 350Z or 370Z in the league of things like the E46 M3, Focus ST, Boxster, Cayman (2.7) etc. There are surprising ones also, which I’ve had a go in (not driving though)…such as similar year SL350.. bout the same sort of pace. Some people will look at bigger cars and think it’s the more potent car but its not always the case.

You could put a number of cars from various body styles/sectors in the same table as the Z’s but I think its def down to your own perception. As previously mentioned, why you bought it… where do you see the Zed being in your mind. Let’s be honest (and I know there are people on here with many experience of high powered cars), the Zeds with their unique looks and still potent 300 odd bhp is enough to keep it in a ‘top’ league of its own against many other stuff. Yes there are hot hatches catching up and beating it now but don’t forget your still sitting in a car that looks the business and will still munch round that speedo at a fair rate.

As someone said at my work to me after chatting about my HR, “some people won’t even get near 300bhp in their life of buying cars…even if they like sporty stuff. Lucky guyâ€. And you remember why you bought it in the first place! Its in a ‘top’ league in my mind lol.

Note – My reply was…. “I certainly am, but you haven’t seen the tyre and fuel bills….†lol :lol:

EDIT - Don't know whats up with the font

Edited by AMT

Interesting what you're saying AMT, I could not agree more with the last bit about most people never having 300bhp. I get plenty of questions along the lines of, "Why have such a powerful lump/non-economical car? My Focus is really quick" etc etc. Coming from a variety of rental cars, some as big as 2.0 NA :lol:, getting in the Zed for the first time was like nothing on earth, a blend of excitement and terror at what the loud pedal can do. It wasn't just a new league, it was a different sport!

• Like 2

Try coming from a 06' Hyundai Coupe 2.0.... :lol: Whole different atmosphere the Zed was compared to that haha. Yeah for some reason when I type for any lengthy period here ..only on the site it starts to stutter and miss letters. Don't know what the fonts about. lol Just back from the petrol station actually, white Supra (exterior un modded by the looks of it)pulled up behind me. I gave a polite nod to the better vehicle, lovely looking thing.

And with that.. what power did the Supra have again while were at it? Is the Zed close to it in standard form (standard supra that is lol)

Edited by AMT

Try coming from a 06' Hyundai Coupe 2.0.... :lol: Whole different atmosphere the Zed was compared to that haha. Yeah for some reason when I type for any lengthy period here ..only on the site it starts to stutter and miss letters. Don't know what the fonts about. lol Just back from the petrol station actually, white Supra (exterior un modded by the looks of it)pulled up behind me. I gave a polite nod to the better vehicle, lovely looking thing.

And with that.. what power did the Supra have again while were at it? Is the Zed close to it in standard form (standard supra that is lol)

According to Japanese Performance magazine:

Toyota Supra Turbo MA70 - 89/1993 - 235Ps - 253lb/ft Torque - 0-60mph = 6.1secs - Top end: 152mph

Toyota Supra Turbo JZA80 - 93/1999 - 326Ps - 315lb/ft Torque - 0-60mph = 5.1secs - Top end: 158mph

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Great thread....

When I was looking to upgrade my last car (Z4 2.5) I considered the following:-

1. Z4 3.0 - nice car, good performance but expensive if you want low mileage, service history, etc.

2. Audi TT 3.2 - again nice car, good performance less expensive than Z4 but just didn't want the constant 'hairdressers car' comments!

3. Mazda RX8 231 - discounted after test drive, just didn't feel like a 230 bhp car?

These are the cars that I thought were initially in the same category as the 350z, rear wheel drive sports cars! I didn't look at hot hatches, sports saloons, etc, I have had these in the past....I wanted a sports car.

Anyway, I bought a 350z &, well, it has everything, 3.5ltr, 300bhp, great sound, great handling!!....& all at a very reasonable price for a low(ish) mileage car with a full service history as well (ok economy isn't great but you can't have everything can you?)

So in conclusion & sorry for all the 'waffle', I think it actually fits into it's own category.....as there isn't really anything to compare it with like-for-like when considering performance, value & kerb appeal.

There I've said it now, note to self, must try to be less serious :dry::teeth:

• Like 2

R8 is a 911 rival, def nowhere near the supercars of the world. RS4 is the same level as the M3, so should be with that really.

I'm no t sure where you'd put uber-barges like the RS6/M5/PannyTT though. For straightline pace they're up there with the GTR and 911TT, but no good through the corners.

My own attempt at this:

Hypercars: Huayra, 918, FLF, P1

Supercars: 911TT (only because of pace!), 12C, any Lambo or Ferrari

High end sports: R8, 911, 8C, SLS (not sure on this one), GT-R, F-Type, 'Vette

Sports saloon: M3/5/6, RS4/5/6

Sports: Boxster, 350/370, Impreza/Evo, anything else quick but no FWD

Hot hatch: Clio/Megane RS, Corsa/Astra VXR, Fiesta/Focus ST/RS

Everything else that doesn't appeal to me as a keen driver!

...and where would you put the VX220 VXR ;)

Tuppawear :lol::stir:

R8 is a 911 rival, def nowhere near the supercars of the world. RS4 is the same level as the M3, so should be with that really.

I'm no t sure where you'd put uber-barges like the RS6/M5/PannyTT though. For straightline pace they're up there with the GTR and 911TT, but no good through the corners.

My own attempt at this:

...and where would you put the VX220 VXR ;)

Tuppawear :lol::stir:

...still not rising!

No one has mentioned the S2000, which I have to say was the other option when I bought a Zed? Totally different drive of course but performance wise not much in it.

True story. Has the RX8 come up? I was a hair's breadth from one before I was seduced by a Zed.

No one has mentioned the S2000, which I have to say was the other option when I bought a Zed? Totally different drive of course but performance wise not much in it.

True story. Has the RX8 come up? I was a hair's breadth from one before I was seduced by a Zed.

Rx8 was on my list against the Zed, i wanted to stay rotary, but steered away as very limited to what power you can make out of a renesis engine even with a turbo or supercharger. :)

If they made the S2000 as a coupe I might have considered them when looking but unfortunately this is the best they could come up with....

honda-s2000-wallpaper-hardtop-image.jpg

Coupe-HT8.jpg

Got nothing on the Zed in the look's department. :lol::stir:

My own attempt at this:

Spot on with this Dan as usual. But will drop the 911 TT a peg

There should be a class between supercars and high end sports car. Cars that are specially made for track/ hooning fun.

For the like of the GT3 RS, noble etc.

• Like 1

My own attempt at this:

Spot on with this Dan as usual. But will drop the 911 TT a peg

There should be a class between supercars and high end sports car. Cars that are specially made for track/ hooning fun.

For the like of the GT3 RS, noble etc.

Have to agree 911 TT needs to come down a peg

SLS I would be tempted to move it up one...

These days, too many cars are built to cover more than 1 single purpose, so they become very hard to classify.

• Like 1

I agree about the SLS, a mate has one and its devastingly fast, it is the size of a small cruise liner though :(

Its more than being fast.... the GTR will be faster.... its about the overall package. The SLS is just more :D its stunning! Though, from the drivers seat I can only see about halfway down the bonnet....