What league is the 350z in?

ddcboyle

I've always thought the 350z was in the same league as Impreza, Evo, ST and VXR. Granted their all turbo, but price, power etc their all generally the same. Im not talking about the coupe or 2seater wise, just a general league of how much you earn to what you can buy sort of thing.

Just curious to what sort of league the 350z was in.

To me, the order is

Super car: Ferraris, Lambos etc

Inbetween: GTR, 911 turbo, Audi RS4 RS5

High end sports car : Porsche 911, BMW m3, Audi s4

Sports Car: 350z, 370z,ST, VXR, Impreza, Evo, Audi TT

Normal car: 2Litre Focus, 2litre Mg Zr

A to B car: 1.2 and 1.4 any car

Im basing this on price and what you get wise. My choice was between all named "sports car" category. Just wondering where you think the 350z lies. Most don't think it belongs in with the VXR, impreza area, but I see no reason why not.

The reason I chose the 350z, was because evo looks a bit weird from different angles, owned a focus already, impreza was a bit to common, VXR was the closest contender

And what were your choices between? Im not aiming this at those who can afford a lambo but chose to buy 350z to highly modify, although do post your input and what you car choices were between

Edited by ddcboyle

I'd probably drop the M3 down a peg, or at least the E46 and older anyway... As for evos and subarus (etc.. and other 4WD turbos) I'd say they're a notch below the Zed on class and looks, but above the Zed in terms of sheer performance being able to set an aggressive time on a track.

The way I tried to base it was, what you get for your money and budget wise. The s4 is above 350z due to what you get with the car etc, performance, plus the high reliability and extras. I put impreza in the same category as the zed, even though performance wise its faster and has 4wd, but the zed brings itself up with the high litre and appearance. One thing I was shocked at was the impreza is a few .seconds faster than the zed (down to the driver basically) but it tops out at 144....

R8 is a 911 rival, def nowhere near the supercars of the world. RS4 is the same level as the M3, so should be with that really.

I'm no t sure where you'd put uber-barges like the RS6/M5/PannyTT though. For straightline pace they're up there with the GTR and 911TT, but no good through the corners.

My own attempt at this:

Hypercars: Huayra, 918, FLF, P1

Supercars: 911TT (only because of pace!), 12C, any Lambo or Ferrari

High end sports: R8, 911, 8C, SLS (not sure on this one), GT-R, F-Type, 'Vette

Sports saloon: M3/5/6, RS4/5/6

Sports: Boxster, 350/370, Impreza/Evo, anything else quick but no FWD

Hot hatch: Clio/Megane RS, Corsa/Astra VXR, Fiesta/Focus ST/RS

Everything else that doesn't appeal to me as a keen driver!

• Like 2

I'd probably drop the M3 down a peg, or at least the E46 and older anyway... As for evos and subarus (etc.. and other 4WD turbos) I'd say they're a notch below the Zed on class and looks, but above the Zed in terms of sheer performance being able to set an aggressive time on a track.

This, with the OP's groupings, I'd say the M3 should be in our league (Maybe not a brand new M3) but when your talking about what we earn and what cars we could of had for the money, M3 was one of my options.

just sold my e46 m3 for my 370z... wouldn't say its any less of a car... performance is the same and build quality is pretty much there... well I say that, e46 m3 like to shed their sub frames from the shells, so apart from that.

vxr's and the likes I would say are hot hatches

I chose the 370 as I have loved the Z`s ever since first being able to drive and it is probably the nearest thing to a super car that I would ever be able to afford and there was nothing else that I really liked in the same price/performance bracket. I do like and did consider the hot hatch types but I think the fact that the Z is not just a family saloon or hatchback with a highly tuned engine makes it so much more than just that.

With regards to the "what we can afford", obviously it will vary from car to car. With the brand new price of a 350z (no idea how much they were, 25k or something?), I bought mine for 8, impreza was 6, st 5, vxr 5, evo 4-6, the m3 was roughly the same depending on year. So it was more aimed at the current value of the 350z and what you get compared with others.

Personally I wouldn' put hot hatches in a different category to sports cars. That is the body shape style. I know hot hatches that would smash the 350z on the track and what you get with the car. Its the coupe/hot hatch/saloon bracket that's involved in.

I've had no experience with any car other than my old diesel focus, 350z and a megane RS. So it was purely by appearance, stats and GT/interior packages.

As for the rs4 being In same category as m3, I wouldn't say it was. Personally id have the s4 with the m3, but the rs4 is just that bit higher and classier i.m.o. m3 is an upper market golf gti. You want a hot hatch, GTI. you want an upper model hot coupe, m3. its one of those stereotypical car for people with no ideas. (doesn't include the brand new models or those who just liked the m3, but the ones who wanted a car which everyone spoke about)

As for categories, even though its an astra, the 350z is still a Nissan. Granted, Nissan is now becoming a better make, the R series has always been the big separation from ford and Vauxhall as it is basically a super car. The zed I see is the VXR and ST version. roughly same power, quality (in most aspects) and same price. The Focus RS is just an ST. It isn't anything special and can not be compared as ST-350z, RS-GTR, their completely different divisions. Ford just charge more for someone who buys an RS, with the same interior as a 1.6diesel focus with leather seats.

Again, we all chose the 350z because we preferred it over the other cars in the budget. ST and VXR were probably a likely competetor for most buyers here, since its the sports cars for under 10k. The reason i bought the zed was because it looked way more expensive than what it was. The amount of "is that a porsche" you get with a 350z is much better than having your family car with a turbo. But, still in the same bracket because i did have to compare the cars. The fiesta and Corsa VXR, even though the corsa vxr is nice, were out of the thought process because its a girlie car. But focus st and astra vxr were there because they had certain advantages compared to the zed. The power of turbo, easily modified compared to the zed, few extra seats. But at the end of the day, you dont get a 1.8diesel 350z.

p.s. I sound like im arguing, im not :lol: I just like to debate on things :D

Edited by ddcboyle

Most hot hatches need some form of modifying to be in the same league as the Z so I would say there is a league in-between but this is also the most opinionistic (is that a word?!!) thread I can think of.

If you asked the VXR boys this they would tell you how they smoked every Z on the road over the weekend.

Most hot hatches need some form of modifying to be in the same league as the Z so I would say there is a league in-between but this is also the most opinionistic (is that a word?!!) thread I can think of.

If you asked the VXR boys this they would tell you how they smoked every Z on the road over the weekend.

I would say the zed and vxr are still in the same league, but just the zed is top of that league and the rest below. I found it hard decision because i know with little money a turbo car has more potential. You need big bucks to give the zed the zed more power.

I know what you mean about them thinking they smoked every zed, but a few mods and they would. Not so much the ST, they have a whole second to catch up. But the VXR (on stats) is only like 0.4 away so really it is down to the driver. Remap both cars, and their probably the same?

R8 is a 911 rival, def nowhere near the supercars of the world. RS4 is the same level as the M3, so should be with that really.

I'm no t sure where you'd put uber-barges like the RS6/M5/PannyTT though. For straightline pace they're up there with the GTR and 911TT, but no good through the corners.

My own attempt at this:

Hypercars: Huayra, 918, FLF, P1

Supercars: 911TT (only because of pace!), 12C, any Lambo or Ferrari

High end sports: R8, 911, 8C, SLS (not sure on this one), GT-R, F-Type, 'Vette

Sports saloon: M3/5/6, RS4/5/6

Sports: Boxster, 350/370, Impreza/Evo, anything else quick but no FWD

Hot hatch: Clio/Megane RS, Corsa/Astra VXR, Fiesta/Focus ST/RS

Everything else that doesn't appeal to me as a keen driver!

...and where would you put the VX220 VXR ;)

I dont really see evos and scoobs being sports cars, they are rally derived saloon cars, i have had a couple of both and whilst very quick point to point and up to 80 ish they arent geared to push on from there, i would say a z would be on there tails if you were rolling and carrying some speed, unless they are fettled with!

Do we need a kit car category for VX's? ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

.......then end up with a duff gearbox.

I was looking at Astra VXR's but was put off by their gearbox issues.

This is a weak point in their drivetrain .Cant handle the torque apparently. Bearings give up.

Supercars ~ Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Bugatti Veyron, Jaguar XJ220...

Sports Convertibles ~ Jaguar XKR, Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio, Rolls Royce Phantom DHC...

Coupes/GT's ~ Nissan 350Z, Audi R8 4.2 V8 Quattro, Audi TT R...

Sports cars ~ Caterham 7 Super Light R500, Vauxhall VX220 Turbo, Porsche Boxster...

4X4s/MPVs/Estates ~ Audi RS4, Lamborghini LM002, Range Rover V8 Supercharged...

Big Saloons ~ Audi RS6, BMW M5, Jaguar XJR..

Sports Saloons ~ Audi S4, Honda Accord Type R, Subaru Impreza WRX...

Hot Hatches ~ Audi S3, Honda Civic Type R, VW Golf R32...

Super Minis ~ Citroen C2 VTS, Mini Cooper, Skoda Fabia VRS...

All the above is from "Evo Magazine ~ The Knowledge". The Nissan 350Z & the 370Z are Coupes/GT cars and that's what class they fall into. If you have a 350Z Roadster then that falls into the "Sports Convertibles" class. I concur with this way of looking at vehicle types regardless of cost & performance.

I do not agree that a Subaru Impreza in any form can be compared to a 350Z or 370Z ~ they are imo totally different types of vehicles.

When I get in any car and start it, it becomes a hyper car :lol:

Where does a Cayman fit in? Reason I ask is they keep winking at me when I'm driving past them... I think Dan's bandings are pretty fair, but the category Sports Saloon needs to be under Sports - too much compromise and they don't have a sports soul underneath.

The reason I like cars like the 350Z is because they're purpose built. It's not a standard saloon or hatch just with a powerful engine. Being designed from the ground up makes a car special. That's a small part of what makes a supercar so special.

• Like 2

Where does a Cayman fit in? Reason I ask is they keep winking at me when I'm driving past them... I think Dan's bandings are pretty fair, but the category Sports Saloon needs to be under Sports - too much compromise and they don't have a sports soul underneath.

Quite right, it should do. I think I just wrote them as they came into my head, I would definitely put a Zed in a sportier league than an M5. Not sure I'm right to do so, mind, but that's how my brain is wired.

Also, no FWD ever goes in the category of sports. I love hot hatches, but I'd rather a slower sports car than a fast scrabble-wagon.

Can't argue with GM's logic especially as it's out of evo.

For me there has always been a love of the zed since I saw my first 240z so I just needed the spare cash to own one as a weekender ( can't afford 40, 000 miles a year in the zed no matter how gently i drive it) once I get bored I will look at the jag xkr but at the rate I'm going that will be a retirement prezzie to myself.