I have ruined my car already!

nixy

Oh my god - I know you think I've pranged it, but no! I have got back from a nightmare journey from France. Delayed plane, cancelled train, bus, taxi then bliss - open my friends garage and there is the car all safe and tucked up. Drove home early hours and into our village which unbeknown to me was about 2 - 3 feet under water. I didn't realise until it was too late and the water was rushing in around my ankles. My husband and son came and pushed the car out of the water and onto dry land but it is dead and I have had to abandon it on the outskirts of our village which has now been cordoned off by police. I was taken home in a tractor. I am totally numb with shock! I can't believe I have been so stupid on the third drive of my beautiful new car! I'll update you later when I can.

Nic

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you beat me to it nixy!! Just started another thread asking if everyone survived yesterday. Very sorry to hear this.Any idea on how much damage Nixy? Did it enter the car? :headhurt: To be fair Nixy i think you are been a little harsh on yourself, yesterdays rain was totally unique!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :scare:

Hope its all ok Niky!

Luckally the air intake on the zed isnt that low so if the water only went upto the door sills then it should be ok. If it did enter the engine then its probably dead but may not be. The only issue could be the conrods bending but you could be lucky. My friends Astra had the same thing and he took off what he could, dried it all out and put it back together again and it works again.

There is hope

well this is the street where I live - my son Harl decided as he had no wellies he would do bermuda shorts!

Photo-0105.jpg

Photo-0103.jpg

Photo-0097.jpg

I drove my car into the water and water came in through the floor it seemed or maybe through bottom of doors. All electrics still working - windows etc - just wouldn't start. So far just soaking carpets and mats. I won't be able to tell the damage until I can actually get to it which you can see from the pics may be a little while! I hope to god it's ok.

Guest prescience

I hope you are lucky and its not hydrolocked; if it got to the electrics first you could be OK - fingers crossed for ya :)

Guest prescience

Water in the cylinders so the pistons can't move.

But don't panic, does the engine turn over but not fire, if so, you should be all good

at first there was nothing at all, just a click and the dials went blank although they were lit before I tried to start it. Went back a bit later on the back of a truck for my suitcase!!! tried it again and there was a spark of life there momentarily but it hadn't been out of the wet for long.

Guest prescience
at first there was nothing at all, just a click and the dials went blank although they were lit before I tried to start it. Went back a bit later on the back of a truck for my suitcase!!! tried it again and there was a spark of life there momentarily but it hadn't been out of the wet for long.

I'm not sure what other people think, but I reckon you should not try again before you get it checked out; if there is water in one or more of the cylinders, you may amage it further. Ideally you need the engine turned over by hand to flush out water and the oil flushed too. I know Spill did this

Any other views or am I being too cautious?

:scare: I feel for you Nixy, the weather has been horrible and caught more than a few people out.

I second the thoughts of all of us on here. And too would air on the side of caution - don't even try to get it started. Get you local friendly garage to recover it and check it out before starting it. I know it's gonna be tempting to try to start it yourself but you may just worsen any damage.

At least it doesn't seem as bad as a guy in Range Rover near here. He tried going through Rufford Ford - water up to his window which was slightly open as he was smoking. Water poured in. His engine stopped. His electrics stopped. He couldn't get the window up, he's stuck in 4-5ft of water, can't open the door b'cos of the pressure so just had to sit there till the inside filled up to equal outside. He had no sunroof! Now being able to open the door he SWAM to the bridge. In his suit & tie. Leaving his '04 Range Rover stranded.

All this in front of a family we know who were watching!

:scare: :scare: :scare: