I have ruined my car already!

nixy

Guest prescience

I am sure spill can advise you, here is this thread, he was more at risk due to the Injen intake (low intake point)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2972#2972

The key point in you case is where you mention 3ft of water, was this deep enough for you to know whether it would have entered the stock intake (front right of engine bay). if you can be sure it was below this (accounting for any bow wave effect), I think you can just let it dry out and re-try, if you are not sure, get it checked :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it doesn't seem as bad as a guy in Range Rover near here. He tried going through Rufford Ford - water up to his window which was slightly open as he was smoking. Water poured in. His engine stopped. His electrics stopped. He couldn't get the window up, he's stuck in 4-5ft of water, can't open the door b'cos of the pressure so just had to sit there till the inside filled up to equal outside. He had no sunroof! Now being able to open the door he SWAM to the bridge. In his suit & tie. Leaving his '04 Range Rover stranded.

All this in front of a family we know who were watching!

:scare: :scare: :scare:

That would scare the @*!# out of me!

I am sure spill can advise you, here is this thread, he was more at risk due to the Injen intake (low intake point)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2972#2972

The key point in you case is where you mention 3ft of water, was this deep enough for you to know whether it would have entered the stock intake (front right of engine bay). if you can be sure it was below this (accounting for any bow wave effect), I think you can just let it dry out and re-try, if you are not sure, get it checked :)

I personally think in any situation like this it is better to get it checked anyway, regardless of how certain you think you may be as to how it has affected the engine.

Arggghhh.. Sorry to hear this Nixy. :headhurt:

As others have said, the best option is to wait until you can get the car moved (preferably on a recovery truck or some other trailer) to a place where it can be checked out properly.

Fingers crossed its just electrics that need to dry out etc.

I read someone else recently hydrolocked the car and the insurance wrote that off, so i really do hope this isn't the case for you.

Gutted to read this, as even after owning the car for a couple of weeks i know how pi$$ed off i would be if anything happened to mine

Fingers crossed for you that its just some damp electrics

Like Dorian said give it plenty of time to dry out. Wouldn't try to restart it for a while. If you have a garage I would recommend hiring a de humidifier and stick it in with the car.

Also might be worth getting the engine properly checked out for any water infiltration. Check the air filter to see if its wet. Guide here how to get to it.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2387

Like everybody else, fingers and toes crossed that its just damp electrics

Guest prescience
Like Dorian said give it plenty of time to dry out. Wouldn't try to restart it for a while. If you have a garage I would recommend hiring a de humidifier and stick it in with the car.

Also might be worth getting the engine properly checked out for any water infiltration. Check the air filter to see if its wet. Guide here how to get to it.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2387

Like everybody else, fingers and toes crossed that its just damp electrics

Checking the air filter is a top idea Mike :thumbs:

You lot really are a tonic. I'm going to ring my insurance and just ask their advice. I don't want to go through them unless I have to but will have it taken to a garage they recommend to be checked over just in case (I think). I have breakdown cover so that should be ok. I don't have any idea how long it will be before I can get to it though as the river is still raging at the end of the driveway. Is there anyone here I can PM with an insurance question rather than post it up?

I would definately go through your insurers, or let them know the score ASAP - water damage can get very expensive, and can cause problems for many months or years (with electrics/corosion etc).. a colleague of mine flooded his alfa last year driving through a flooded road to similar depth and it was written off despite being 1 year old..

Absolutely gutted for you Nixy, after a long long trip though I'm not surprised - you hardly expect a river to be flowing along your street.

Really hoping you manage to get it sorted out without too much fuss.

I would definately go through your insurers, or let them know the score ASAP - water damage can get very expensive, and can cause problems for many months or years (with electrics/corosion etc).. a colleague of mine flooded his alfa last year driving through a flooded road to similar depth and it was written off despite being 1 year old..

I had a friend who had a similar problem with a 6 month old Beemer and they wrote it off. we thought it was some sort of scam as the car was OK to drive after a few days. BMW came back and said the problem was a contamination one ,what ever that means.

Good luck though

Wow, gutted for you :surrender:

I drove through some pretty deep water coming back from Sheffield last weekend. I'm glad to say that it didn't affect the car, despite it being at least 12 inches deep... I remembered my 4x4 day and kept the revs pretty high to prevent water coming back along the exhaust and all seemed ok.

Hopefully it will be fine - fingers crossed :)

all the best with the car nicola, you wait it a very long time and i hope its all ok,, if we can help in any way do let us know..

but i hope the car is ok as it was a wonderull example and grade 5 ( be shame to see it wrote off) but fingers crossed it can be sorted ok..

take it to garage change the oil and flush also get them to check the oil that came out and maybe repeat the same operation if there is any sign of water.

That's terrible news Nixy, and so shortly after you took delivery. But the car can always be replaced if the news is bad - hopefully it won't be as bad as you think.

BTW is your house affected - the road looks very bad.

Well, they came and took it away on a flatbed last night but because all the garages are inundated with similar problems they haven't checked it over yet. The more I think about it the more I hope it will only be a case of wet carpets. I was going so slowly and the water only came up to the bottom of the doors before I stopped - I took the mats out and they are already dry. Anyway fingers crossed.

Our house is fine by the way. Luckily we live up a sloping driveway! Lots of others are not so lucky though! We even had carp swimming up the street! Quite funny in a way. Back out in the Astra today to go shopping as when I got back from France my wonderful husband hadn't done any shopping so we were stranded with no milk or bread and hardly any loo roll! Typical!