I have ruined my car already!

nixy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
Well, they came and took it away on a flatbed last night but because all the garages are inundated with similar problems they haven't checked it over yet. The more I think about it the more I hope it will only be a case of wet carpets. I was going so slowly and the water only came up to the bottom of the doors before I stopped - I took the mats out and they are already dry. Anyway fingers crossed.

Our house is fine by the way. Luckily we live up a sloping driveway! Lots of others are not so lucky though! We even had carp swimming up the street! Quite funny in a way. Back out in the Astra today to go shopping as when I got back from France my wonderful husband hadn't done any shopping so we were stranded with no milk or bread and hardly any loo roll! Typical!

I reckon they'll turn it over and it'll fire first time :thumbs:

Well, they came and took it away on a flatbed last night but because all the garages are inundated with similar problems they haven't checked it over yet. The more I think about it the more I hope it will only be a case of wet carpets. I was going so slowly and the water only came up to the bottom of the doors before I stopped - I took the mats out and they are already dry. Anyway fingers crossed.

Our house is fine by the way. Luckily we live up a sloping driveway! Lots of others are not so lucky though! We even had carp swimming up the street! Quite funny in a way. Back out in the Astra today to go shopping as when I got back from France my wonderful husband hadn't done any shopping so we were stranded with no milk or bread and hardly any loo roll! Typical!

well if it only came up to eh door sill and you got out of it quick then maybe it will be ok! fingers crossed! :)

This is not good news Nixy, I hope it turns out ok for you.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the biggest problem with this type of thing is that water gets into the electrics and wiring starting corrosion, which can cause you problems months or years down the line, this is why most flood damaged cars are written off.

I obviously don't know how badly your car has been affected but I would get an independent assesment of the damage and try and take a long term view of things. I know this car is your pride and joy but if you think water has got into the wiring loom etc then I would push for a write off.

I really hope it doesn't come to that and I'm really sorry this has happened to you.

Just caught up with this, so sorry to hear it. We've got insurance claims coming in here all over the place from the weather. Not much room for planning for it. Hope it sorts out, keep us up to date. :)

All is well! Got a phone call today to say that the engine is absolutely fine and running like clockwork. They have taken various bits and pieces out to make sure it's all still dry. They are going to take the seats out and take all the carpet and insulation out etc and dry it all out properly. The carpets are apparently going into the paint oven to dry! They are then going to professionally clean them before they go back inside. Obviously this is going to cost me a bit in terms of time they will take to do it but I don't care - my excess is £350 anyway so I'm not going through the insurance. The garage it is at is one of the top places around here and does work on some serious motors so I trust them and have used them before. I am so relieved I can't tell you! Getting it back this weekend.

Well after only having driven it 3 times I am excited all over again now! I will have lots of questions to come yet! The only immediate one I can think of at the moment is that the seat belt cuts across my neck and is not adjustable, is there anything I can do about that?