Ok the rusty stuff appearing on my discs is freaking me out!

Sempiternal

Morning peeps

As the title says,, what do i do!

my car has been sat since end of oct nicely in my garage! but this is freaking me out, is this going to cause an mot failure, is there anything i can do to stop this other than "drive your car and brake alot"?

im thinking of booking an MOT after Jan the 11th payday! but im getting really concerned at how rusty looking my discs are getting.

other than that il be taking the car out the garage in a min, ive spent all week applying the Turtle wax black box kit to the car review to follow!

Rob

I like the idea's but i live in Redditch, the thought has crossed my mind a couple runs around the block n back!

but this is Redditch and the police have a habit of being somewhere on my route like yesterday they were randomly parked up at the exit to my close!

so you can see why im reluctant to drive without an MOT,, i guess after thinking this through legally all i can do is wait until the day i book the MOT and then take the scenic route to the test station!

but im still freaking out jeez in one more month are my discs gonna be a beautiful suntanned golden brown lol

Rob

The disc's will rust if you don't use it, the only way to get rid of it is brake :lol: best to just lightly brake and not to drive fast or brake hard until they are clear :thumbs:

as to quote my dad yesterday "your find the brakes will bite harder extra friction"

my reply "along with bits no chunks of brake pad being ripped off"

This is normal as long as it's just surface rust. I leave my car under a cover 3 weeks at a time. After cleaning it, I take it to the end of the road and back making sure there's a bit of braking to clear water from the surface of discs.

Generally does the job, otherwise you get an initial bind when you first start off and they're quite noisy for the first 5 or 10 minutes

Just cover your discs in WD40 before leaving your car to stand over winter.

My mate did this and his discs never went rusty.

Thinking about it, I never saw or heard from him again after he took his car out in the spring for it's first run, up that scenic cliff top coastal road.... :drive1:

• Like 4

Morning peeps

my car has been sat since end of oct nicely in my garage! but this is freaking me out, is this going to cause an mot failure, is there anything i can do to stop this other than "drive your car and brake alot"?

im thinking of booking an MOT after Jan the 11th payday! but im getting really concerned at how rusty looking my discs are getting.

other than that il be taking the car out the garage in a min, ive spent all week applying the Turtle wax black box kit to the car review to follow!

Rob

As others have said this isn't anything to worry about and neither is the big bang you are likely to get when you first move your car!

Your pads are likely to have bound slightly to your disc and that first movement will break the binding and can result in an almighty bang - DONT freak out!

David

Morning peeps

Rob

As others have said this isn't anything to worry about and neither is the big bang you are likely to get when you first move your car!

Your pads are likely to have bound slightly to your disc and that first movement will break the binding and can result in an almighty bang - DONT freak out!

David

Ah, dont freak out unless the same thing happens to you like happened in my golf after I left it standing covered in snow in a Birmingham car park for 10 days whilst i was in California.

Reversed out of parking space, nice bang noise, then off I drove. First touch of the brakes resulted in horendous metal on metal noise. Turned out what had happened was that the friction material had sheared clean off the brake pads meaning metal backing plate was now touching the discs!

In all fairness the pads were about 80k miles old, and i guess 2 years of salt and stuff had caused them to corrode.

Luckily I was only 8 miles from GF parents house, so I pulled in there, nipped down local car accessory place and after £12 for new set of pads + the cost of an allen key tool to get the calipers off, and about 30mins work in total I was back on the road.

Just to be clear THAT WAS A JOKE!!! DO NOT put WD40 on your brakes!

Lol I said same thing to my dad couple days back.. I really hope no one actually does this!

As above the mentioned copper slip.. hmm maybe an all purpose grease would be better.. ok I cant even joke with this.. would hate for some one to actually grease their discs !

Edited by Sempiternal

As most have said ~ nothing to worry about. ;)

My discs often show slight surface rust after it's been raining over night whilst parked up or if I've washed the car without drying the brakes off afterwards. Take the car for a short drive with gentle use of the brakes and it will clean the rust off fairly quickly. Just be aware that your braking will be reduced at first. :thumbs:

As most, who are not winding you up, have said ~ nothing to worry about.

Corrected that for you!

But best not to leave the handbrake on but park in gear as pads left hard on the discs can leave deposits that could affect disc quality apart from seizing on in extreme cases.

As most, who are not winding you up, have said ~ nothing to worry about.

Corrected that for you!

But best not to leave the handbrake on but park in gear as pads left hard on the discs can leave deposits that could affect disc quality apart from seizing on in extreme cases.

:lol: Thanks. :thumbs: