Wash wax n polish!

Zimjason

Looks good :)

It's wash, polish then wax though ;)

I like to mix things up abit :)

Looks great Zimjason ~ very good job and I think you had it right tbh.

I washed my car yesterday, dryed, then waxed, then polished ~ so wash, wax, polish is correct imo. :D;)

lol u Polish it and then wax it to seal the paint. Edited by Neilp

Don't know what you guy's call a polish then? Maybe we're/I'm getting the term wrong but if I didn't polish after putting the wax on first then I'd just have dried wax all over my car. :lol:

From my synthetic paste wax polish instructions;

Wash & dry vehicle.

Moisten applicator pad with water.

Lightly wipe the applicator over the top of the paste to liquefy the formula.

Spread a thin, even coat over the entire vehicle including plastics & rubber trim.

Allow product to dry for about 3-5 minutes to a light haze.

Using the included micro-fibre cloth ~ Fold and use one side to remove excess wax from the cars finish.

Turn the micro-fibre cloth over and polish to a high gloss shine.

So wash, dry, wax, then polish as far as I was concerned. :blush::D

I think you're getting a bit muddled, but not necessarily your fault as some products offer a combination of effects.

A polish adds shine by removing defects. This what makes your paint look pretty.

A wax protects this shine. This can add depth to a finish as well.

Not sure what product it is you're using for those instructions, but they're wrong. What they should say is BUFF to a high gloss shine, not polish. Whatever it is, those instructions make it sound like a wax/sealant rather than a polish, especially as it says to put it over the plastics & trim: No (decent) polish should ever be put on those, as it'll stain and mark it.

I think you're getting a bit muddled, but not necessarily your fault as some products offer a combination of effects.

A polish adds shine by removing defects. This what makes your paint look pretty.

A wax protects this shine. This can add depth to a finish as well.

Not sure what product it is you're using for those instructions, but they're wrong. What they should say is BUFF to a high gloss shine, not polish. Whatever it is, those instructions make it sound like a wax/sealant rather than a polish, especially as it says to put it over the plastics & trim: No (decent) polish should ever be put on those, as it'll stain and mark it.

I think your right Ekona. :lol::blush:

This is what I'm using;

8872599486494.jpg

Is it a "wax" then or "polish" or both? :dry:

Either way my car look's great after I use this stuff on it. B)

Cheap shite is what it is ;)

It's a sealant, so it protects rather than polishes. Crappy TW branding bollocks.

Grab some Megs 3 stage paint cleaner, polish and carnauba wax (all liquids), it's in the red bottles near the TW stuff in Halfrauds. Really inexpensive, and will give a 100% better finish than that stuff. In fact, if you try it and genuinely prefer the TW, I'll give you the money for it myself. :)

Cheap shite is what it is ;)

It's a sealant, so it protects rather than polishes. Crappy TW branding bollocks.

Grab some Megs 3 stage paint cleaner, polish and carnauba wax (all liquids), it's in the red bottles near the TW stuff in Halfrauds. Really inexpensive, and will give a 100% better finish than that stuff. In fact, if you try it and genuinely prefer the TW, I'll give you the money for it myself. :)

Thanks Ekona. Since joining this forum my spending on detailing products has gone mad, well compared to what I used to spend that is. :lol:

I do rate Meguiars stuff really highly so I'll definitely try the 3 different products you mentioned. Just going to wait till after Christmas to see if I get a Halfords gift card. :D

That Turtle wax stuff I got as a gift for my birthday and tbh it is miles better than what I used to have to use which was a generic non-brand wax.

Thanks again, happy to learn something new. :thumbs:

That Turtle wax ice paste comes TOP in the AutoExpress wax 'n polish test

Just saying :surrender:

Never used it myself

Well that's good to know but as Ekona mentioned I think it's more of a sealant than a wax.

I do like it but I'm definitely going to try the Megs to see if I can get better results. Water does bead off the Turtle Wax nicely but if I can get a more mirror like reflection from using the Megs 3 stage that's what I'm really aiming for. :thumbs:

Haha na like to see comments :)

Been thinking of starting one some new products in the new year always used megs wax and auto glym polish but guessing u guys don't rate that :)

Regardless of cost lets starts the fun convo what should I buy

Car wash

Polish / shine

Wax/sealer?

And anything in between

Another thing I have like tinny swirl marks all over the car iv tried everything ! Power polish etc... Any ideas ? Or it just light cuts in the paint ? Thinking of a respray if I can't sort if anyway :(

If they're only tiny swirls a pro detailer with a rotary should be able to shift, no? Cheaper than a respray by a few quid.

As for goodies, it's a hugely personal thing but I currently like:

Car Wash: Meguiars Hyperwash

Cleanser/Polish: the three stage system Dan mentioned is solid, I just used mine up and looking to try something new (purely for experiments sake). I also read a good review on here about the Farecla system too, but not tried yet.

Wax/Sealant: I'm getting all worked up with Poorboys Liquid Natty's Blue right now

And anything in between: a glaze possibly, might hide some of those lighter issues you mentioned. I like Poorboys White Diamond but for your black I'd assume their Black Hole glaze is more appropriate. A quick detailer too wouldn't hurt.

I've also had a tip on chemical guys stuff too, but yet to try them. There's loads out there without spending a fortune, just read the instructions before you start rubbing away and probably add a clay bar to your shopping list If you don't have one, and some lube.

Have fun and if in doubt, ask first :) also, watch some videos too, this guy rules: http://www.ammonyc.com/videos/

Check out the top 10 detailing mistakes one first!

• 5 months later...

I'm only glad you didn't do what a member of my350z did in USA. He washed his car and then instead of using a polishing compound he decided like a prize dickhead to use a RUBBING compound on every panel and wondered why his car looked all dull. He Is now hoping he hasn't gone through the clearcoat,. :yahoo:

Thread resurrection! However, for reference, the Turtlewax Ice 'polish' which is actually a sealant and the equivalent stage to the third step of the Meguiars 3 Step system, is actually miles, miles better! Should have taken Ekona up on his offer.

Sent from my AT10LE-A using Tapatalk

Here's my hit list:

Zaino shampoo

Autoglym clay

Autoglym super resin polish

Poor boys black diamond glaze

Zaino sealant

Poor boys nattys paste wax (blue)

Dodo juice red mist detail spray

Poor boys alloy wheel sealant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk