Rev matching

HAMLNJ

I tried this tonight on the way home from work haha.

I can just about manage it, it takes me so long to do at the moment a normal down shift is quicker. Do you need to keep the revs up the whole time or can you let them dip once the clutch is pressed and blip the throttle when the clutch is down?

I guess it probably doesn't make too much difference, I did notice the car doesn't jerk or anything when doing this which I guess is the whole point.

I'm a proper driving noob incase you couldn't tell.

I just dip the clutch. As it's going down and it's free I blip the throttle so that as I lift the clutch it engages as the revs hit the right point. So no holding the revs at a certain point.

Ah cool, I'm going to keep working on this then, I don't think it will take too long to get used to.

Can we :ban: the OP for making this thread? Everywhere I drive now, I'm constantly trying this and it's very annoying :lol:

Question - trying to break it down a little, is it the same as;

- Clutch In,

- Shift Down

-Tap the Throttle/Rev

- Release clutch whilst breaking at the same time?

Can we :ban: the OP for making this thread? Everywhere I drive now, I'm constantly trying this and it's very annoying :lol:

- Clutch In,

- Shift Down

-Tap the Throttle/Rev

See my thread " Double de-clutch and heal and toe" it shows a few vids of exactly how to do it

hope this helps. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill

- Clutch In,

- Shift Down

-Tap the Throttle/Rev

See my post " Double de-clutch and heal and toe" it shows a few vids of exactly how to do it

hope this helps. :thumbs:

I tried to avoid looking :lol: Fine!

AH, so this is what "heal toe shifting is". Ive been doing this since i past my driving test, mainly because my first car had a really bad idle so if i didnt blip the revs and keep some revs up when braking it would stall!

Maybe its just me, but sort of related is not using the clutch at all when shifting. Does anyone else do that? If im out for a leasurely drive I can change gear perfectly without using the clutch just by easing off the throttle, or increasing revs slightly to rev match as I slip it out of gear and into the next one. Learnt that one when I had to drive 40 miles with no clutch in one of my cars and its kinda stuck with me since.

heel and toe is a method to rev match whilst maintaining pressure on the brakes - ie, approach corner start braking with ball/left side of right foot, clutch in, downshift, blip throttle with heel/right side of right foot whilst still maintaining brake pressure, clutch out again. at this point you can still be on the brakes.

nomally when approaching a hairpin from a 4th gear straight i would brake - heel and toe into third - heel and toe into second - release brakes - turn in to corner.

rev matching is just making sure the engine speed matches the wheel speed of the new gear - this can simply be downshifting from 5th to 3rd for an overtake for example, one would blip the throttle whilst changing gear so as not to make the car lurch when you engage 3rd gear. with practice it doesnt even need a blip - say you're accelerating in 5th, but want to downshift to 3rd - once you dip the clutch the continued pressure on the throttle will make the revs rise, then you can just engage the lower gear when the revs are high enough.

double declutching is largely redundant on any modern car as all have syncromeshes on the gears - and can be done up or down the gears, whereas heel and toe is only used on downshifts.

and clutchless shifts are really only necessary if your clutch wont release - but its pretty straightforward, especially upshifts - just pull the stick out of gear, then as the revs drop, gentle pressure on the stick towards the next gear should see it slot in when the revs match. dont force it otherwise you'll get a horrible grinding noise! for downshifts a blip on the throttle is definitely required as above.

One way i like to think about driving is imagine a nearly full glass of water on the passenger seat - if anything you do causes the water to slosh around so mush it spills over, be it accelerating, braking or cornering, you're not driving smoothly.

• Like 2

Love it! When you get it right, you know it. Find it a breeze in the zed too. Some cars you can do it, some you can't.

Reduced load on the clutch, uses the engine to brake which means even more braking efficiency, and in theory more mpg! win-win situation!

• 2 months later...

I love heel toeing with the missus in the car.......

"Why do you keep doing that Phil?!?!?!?!"

"What?"

"Why do you always rev the engine when you're slowing down? It's really annoying!"

Cue silence and heel toeing at every corner that follows!

• Like 3

"What?"

"Why do you always rev the engine when you're slowing down? It's really annoying!"

....because RACE DRIVER.

"What?"

try NOTdoing if a few corners, then see how much she likes being lurched around when you downshift!

warning - dont try this if you're about to or already turned into a corner, unless you're a proficient drifter!

Sorry for reopening it grundy, I was bored!

:lol: Ever since reading this, I've always been trying this! I fail hard at doing heal toe method either due to pedals or my crapness! So I just end up just dropping the clutch, reving, then breaking. Probably completely wrong but as I said, this thread hurts my head :lol: