Rev matching

HAMLNJ

Did we ever show a video on this?

A good display of what you should be doing.

Great video. I mastered heel-toe in my RX8 because if you weren't in the right gear you were going no where fast! It's easy to be lazy in the zed.

Edited by delz0r

After reading this thread yesterday I watched a few videos on youtube. I've been playing with left foot breaking and double clutching when changing down, both are going to require some practice! Played with heel-toe when stationary just to get the pedal feel, that's going to take a while!!

I love all these advanced driving techniques but I do find it hard to remember what each one is for, I guess once I'm using them it'll make more sense.

After reading this thread yesterday I watched a few videos on youtube. I've been playing with left foot breaking and double clutching when changing down, both are going to require some practice!

Double declutching isn't something you need to do with modern gearboxes with synchromesh. Certainly it's not a technique I ever use, or have ever used for that matter. I guess I could train myself pretty quickly to do it, but a decent HaT (is there an acceptable shortened version of that?! I got pilloried on PH for saying heel/toe!) does all you'll ever need it to. :)

After reading this thread yesterday I watched a few videos on youtube. I've been playing with left foot breaking and double clutching when changing down, both are going to require some practice!

Double declutching isn't something you need to do with modern gearboxes with synchromesh. Certainly it's not a technique I ever use, or have ever used for that matter. I guess I could train myself pretty quickly to do it, but a decent HaT (is there an acceptable shortened version of that?! I got pilloried on PH for saying heel/toe!) does all you'll ever need it to. :)

I think I'm getting confused between double declutching and rev matching. I meant to say rev matching (for downshifts).

I think I'm getting confused between double declutching and rev matching. I meant to say rev matching (for downshifts).

See it's catching on! IT HURTS THE HEAD :lol:
  • Like 1

double de clutch is when you are changing gears in old cars:- you dip clutch, take out of gear, raise clutch, dip clutch and then rev match and put it back in gear then raise clutch!! :wacko:

Basically it's when cars didnt have a synchro so you had to match the revs to the gearbox speed thing (im not mechanically minded!), if you didnt it would crunch the box and not go in gear.

Rev match (with syncro on modern car) is just matching the revs with the gear box speed (not sure if that's the right way of saying it) so that is smoother going in gear and the car doesnt lurch from having to cope with a lower gear and hgher rpm.

With the latter you dont have to do this to change gear, the former you had to double de clutch to change

Edited by bamdc2

So can we all just clarify if it's a good idea to heel toe or not?? ;)

Just tried to heel toe mid corner and almost binned it....I blame you brillo!!! :lol:

lol i said don't! if you do it wrong and don't match revs to the new gear its called shift locking, as for a brief second the driven wheels are underotating relative to the roadspeed before the revs rise. Its a technique that can be used to initiate a drift, works like pulling the handbrake, except it wears out the gearbox and the clutch, rather than the handbrake...

• Like 1

Whe I blip the throttle on a down shift I find I normally have done it too much so as the clutch come back up in the lower gear the car jumps forward

I find this as well unless i do a really gentle blip - I think that this because the revs decay really slowly when you lift off (that big heavy oem flywheel?), but when you blip the revs rise quite rapidly resulting in them being too high by the time you let the clutch out and causing a lurch or shift lock? (just learned a new term).

Time to get a lightened flywheel!

Since reading this thread I've now been practising heel-toe everywhere I go. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it will take some more practice. Also similar to Spatt, on the downshift I also get that jerk from the car at times, but sometimes you time it correctly and it just sits into it like a jigsaw puzzle

If you're jerking forward when you downshift and H&T, you're not going fast enough in the first place and your loading up the engine then dumping the clutch and jolting forward.

That's not an encouragement to start going into round abouts at 40MPH mind you.