False Widow?

Whazza22

There was a big thing about those on FB a few weeks back.

A teenager got bit on the leg and within hrs he was taken to Hospital

He had 12 operations to open up his leg to wash the ozzing puss from his swollen leg.

It smelt rotten and they nearly had to amputate.

As to if this is the same one or not I do not know.

But it has been described as having a mark on it's back that looks like a scull.

This is a piece about another attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2471504/False-widow-spider-bite-left-grandfather-fighting-life-hospital.html

Edited by 4RE Leather

Yes they can bite you.

No they are not new to the UK they have been here for over 100 years

No they are not generally dangerous, unless you have an allergic reaction.

Nobody has ever died or had a limb amputated as a result of false widow bite.

Put away your red tops.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24636116

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/22/eight-reasons-not-to-be-scared-of-the-false-widow-spider-4154821/

• Like 1

It's possibly a false widow - but don't go killing them just because it's the latest Daily Mail craze. They do not go out of their way to bite you.

If you've seen it, it won't bite you - because you've seen it - the only insect that bit you is the one you DIDN'T see, and by then it's too late.

I went for a slash in the undergrowth of a layby on the way to the British Grand Prix this summer, got bitten on the leg by a single solitary midge and suffered for about 2 months afterwards - ended up going to the doctor and getting antibiotics, which didn't work. So do I kill all midges? No way - they're just God's creatures. It was the fetid human @*!# he'd been feeding on that made me ill, so I'm going back to that layby with a gun, ready for the next bastard who tries to take a crap in that undergrowth. If you know what I mean.

If you're extremely unlucky and you get bitten, 99.95% of the time it's just a little insect bite - so be brave. And of course, like all spiders, they do good.

Ooooer - I just went off on one.

There were loads round our way last week, major panic over nothing, they don't attack just bite if you tread on them etc

I lived in Aus for 6 months and trust me you get used to seeing things that can kill you on a daily basis, false widows would maybe kill a small cat....

Now THIS is a spider!

a5ejy9u7.jpg

• Like 1

Hate hate hate spiders!

Aaah, the old 'Irrational fear of tiny insects' thing. Bear with me...

I've thought about this and I reckon that people are scared of spiders because...

A. They can move very quickly when they want to, and

B. You don't always know what direction they will go in, so theoretically they could end up in your armpit or invade your crotch or your mouth.

In other words they have speed, with a hint of directional unpredictability - just like your beloved car. So if you think of spiders as the 350z's of the insect world, maybe you can learn to love them a bit?

There were loads round our way last week, major panic over nothing, they don't attack just bite if you tread on them etc

I lived in Aus for 6 months and trust me you get used to seeing things that can kill you on a daily basis, false widows would maybe kill a small cat....

Now THIS is a spider!

a5ejy9u7.jpg

The recently discovered chicken spider that form colonies like meerkats. Sleep together, hunt together and have been appearing in pet shops when mistakenly imported by the pet trade.

I used to to have about 32 different species when I was a bit of a spider nut. I only have the one now. :blush:

• Like 1