Time to replace the 350z - opinions...

bodeboo

I know that a car purchase is all about personal choice and posting this on a 350/370 forum will attract a little bias but any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I seem to be swaying from one car to another.

I have a 350z which I have had for a couple of years but I fancy a change and after working my ass off for 2 years I am able to upgrade. I can probably go up to £25k if I can really justify it. My circumstances mean that I could still get away with a less practical 2 seater but if I can combine sporty with 4 seats then great. What I do still want is performance (sub 6 second) with reasonable running costs(!)

Having had a 350z then 370z is an obvious contender. I love my zed and the styling of the 370z is also to my taste. Given my budget I can look at a 1-2 year old 370z. My question is whether I should be looking at slightly older cars where you get more car for your money. For the money and to keep the performance then this is what I think I can get...

* 370z Reg:11/12 Mileage: 10k - Almost new car but maybe higher depreciation ?

* Audi S5 Reg: 09/10 Mileage: 40k - older but better refinement ?

* BMW M3 Reg: 08/58 Mileage: 50k - older again but the ultimate drivers car ?

So, ignoring the fact its down to personal choice:

1) Any opinions on the 3 options above and relative benefits, also opinions about ongoing running costs and depreciation over say a 2 year period.

2) Any other options to throw into the mix other than the 3 above ?

Edited by bodeboo

If i could go up to 25k, my choice would be a Maserati Gransport. The last iteration of the 4200 GT, and was regarded as being the car it should have been from the start. 2+2 seating, 390hp, RWD. The only slight smudge is that its paddleshift only. My realistic dream car.

Cayman S.

/thread

That'd be my choice, and it's a better drive than any of the other cars you mentioned. Not sure if maintenance costs are an issue to you, but the Audi and BMW (and Porsche) will likely be pricier to run in terms of parts and servicing costs, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Can't speak on the others, but a Cayman will cost you about £500 on servicing over two years, depending on whether it wants a minor or major service in that time as they only need doing once every 24 mths. The M3 will tell you when it needs servicing and it dependant on driving style, I have no idea about the Audi. A good manual M3 is unlikely to drop that much more, certainly you can expect the 370 to drop more.

If you're feeling brave then a TVR will be a great buy.

Have to agree with Ekona on cayman, I have heard a few horror stories with the 3 series in general never mind the m3 with electrics but as I have said before I wouldnt look twice at an M3 they are becoming that common.

Really like the S5, very nice looking car in a more subtle way. 370Z is a sensible choice and if you go for an older one with all the toys i doubt you would be annoyed with your choice. Cayman has to be a main choice, it is a porsche and doesn't have the entry level boxter look about it :)

If it was me I would go for a 2010 370z as you could pick one up cheaper and it wont depreciate as much as the 2012 one you are considering. I looked at the cayman s before i got my 370 but it just wasnt for me. Defo go out and experience both of them and then get the one which suits you the most.

S5 really is a good looking car, but then so is an M3 which is why I bought one for 24 hours. If you need a one-car solution, then I would find it very hard to look past the M3 tbh. V8, four seats, boot, plenty of tuning options, V8... Complete package really.

That said, £25K gets you into a 997 as well. Ignore the mileage, it'll still feel fresh if it's been looked after, and you'll have £6K as a slush fund to fix any bits that go wrong. Colours aside, I think that's a bargain.

On the 370 side for your budget you could almost certainly pick up a pre reg one with Premium Connect, GT spec, a base one is 27k or thereabouts, without the GT pack and smaller wheels etc brand new.

GT pack new with a small bit of finance and you also have a bullet proof 3 year warranty and free servicing for three years at the moment.

M3 V8 is a stonking good car, but a four year old one? hmm, big money, I'd be constantly worried if anything went bang. Again a Cayman, if you choose that will be older, no warranty and the old shape, but a good car nonetheless.

Audi S5? There are that many A5's on the road that a S or even the RS get lost in their commonality.

The biggest downside to a 370, as you will be aware, driving a 350, is only two seats, running costs are relatively cheap and for a 3.7l car, mpg is very, very good.

Big shout buddy, but try them all then decide.

Running cost of a Porsche cayman s £1200 a year for a Porsche warranty or chance it and get the IMS bearing fault and pay £20,000 for a new engine. You have to also book the car in at Porsche for the warranty inspection which is around £250 before they say yes or no. You also can't mod the car in anyway, exhaust ect. This is what ruled the gen1 and gen2 Cayman out for me. If you want four seats... BMW M3 is a good shout.

Running cost of a Porsche cayman s £1200 a year for a Porsche warranty or chance it and get the IMS bearing fault and pay £20,000 for a new engine. You have to also book the car in at Porsche for the warranty inspection which is around £250 before they say yes or no. You also can't mod the car in anyway, exhaust ect.

Nearly. Repairs would be around £5K, and there's only a 5% chance of that happening anyway (ish). 111pt check is £180+VAT, but you're correct about the mods though.

Still the best car mentioned though, IMHO. But yes, there is a repair side to consider with all of the cars mentioned aside from the 370Z, but then you'll have increased depreciation to worry about. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Running cost of a Porsche cayman s £1200 a year for a Porsche warranty or chance it and get the IMS bearing fault and pay £20,000 for a new engine. You have to also book the car in at Porsche for the warranty inspection which is around £250 before they say yes or no. You also can't mod the car in anyway, exhaust ect.

Nearly. Repairs would be around £5K, and there's only a 5% chance of that happening anyway (ish). 111pt check is £180+VAT, but you're correct about the mods though.

Still the best car mentioned though, IMHO. But yes, there is a repair side to consider with all of the cars mentioned aside from the 370Z, but then you'll have increased depreciation to worry about. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

1out of 3 isn't bad lol!!!

Save up a little bit more and get yourself a GT-R, staying Jap, staying RWD, staying extremely AWESOME!

DISCLAIMER: I'M 20 YEARS OLD AND HAVE NO SENSIBLE BONE IN MY BODY, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DECISIONS MADE BY YOU AFTER READING MY POSTS

I had a similar choice to make last year. The M3 was on my short list, plus an Evo. In the end I went for a 123d Coupe. 0-60 is a whisker over 6 seconds, in gear acceleration is awesome, has 4 seats (loads of room in the back for 6ft adults, its a 2 door RWD coupe and on my daily commute im getting over 50mpg.

Another car to consider is the M135i apparently they are immense and mega good value. You could probably nearly get a virtually new one for 25k.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/1-series/road-test/m135i-driven

Reading this with interest as I've been considering getting rid of the zed next year and have been looking around at what I'd like, I must be brave as I keep looking at TVR Tuscans and T350s though! Quite a few of the cars that have been mentioned are in my short list to test though.

I am now the voice of Lotus :lol:

Even though you have a Vauxhalll ;)

Edited by Gudzy

Wolf

Reading this with interest as I've been considering getting rid of the zed next year and been looking around at what I'd like, I must be brave as I keep looking at TVR Tuscans and T350s though! Quite a few of the cars that have been mentioned are in my short list to test though.

I am now the voice of Lotus :lol:

Even though you have a Vauxhalll ;)

Wolf in sheep's clothing ;)

Deffo try out a T350, although reading the original post, cheap to run? Porsche's and the like most certainly aren't.

Ohhh car shopping - my favourite :teeth: As the other members have advised get yourself out there and drive a few. If it were me I'd probably go for a slightly older 370 that's already done a good bit depreciation and then modify with the rest of the budget. But then again as Dan says M3 has it all :shrug: Suppose in the end you need to consider insurance and running costs too...

Another car to consider is the M135i apparently they are immense and mega good value. You could probably nearly get a virtually new one for 25k.

http://www.topgear.c...st/m135i-driven

Aye, I test drove on about a month ago and was really impressed, it was pretty quick and handled nicely too. Unfortunately I went and drove a 1M the day afterwards though ........... :lol:

Of the three youve mentioned the M3 takes some beating, the S5 is nice but if it handles like other Audis (and Ive heard it does) then steer clear, much as I hate agreeing with Ekona Id be speaking to the gentlemen at Porsche about a Cayman :)

On the 4 seat tip, if you can take the fuel cost the C63 AMG is a great car, if youre feeling old the XFR is even better but Id take a Lexus IS-F over everything else Ive mentioned in this post. Bar the 1M that I started saving for about 5 minutes after I finished driving it :lol:

EDIT: And one of my best mates has an Exige, unless youre a track demon (he isnt :dry: ) then its pretty compromised for a £25K road car IMO.

Edited by docwra

370Z all the way for me. Might not be as technically good as a Cayman S but if you live in my area there are Porsche Boxters/Caymans and expensive Audi's parked in every other street. I know things like performance, reliability etc etc are what really matters (the Z is no slouch) but for me there's also that feeling of wanting to have something a bit different that stands out from the crowd. That's why I would never touch the Audi or the M3 - they may be good cars but they just don't look interesting or unusual enough. I think the older Cayman is a very nice shape and I've seen some that I like, but ultimately they just aren't that uncommon around me (I see three on the ten minute walk to the station) and that makes them a lot less attractive.

• Like 3