Time to replace the 350z - opinions...

bodeboo

Before I type anything, I want to make it clear this isnt a personal attack on you by any means but some of what youve said here I find quite interesting .......... be interested in what others think too :)

370Z all the way for me. Might not be as technically good as a Cayman S but if you live in my area there are Porsche Boxters/Caymans and expensive Audi's parked in every other street.

Does that not just suggest that they are good, if not better cars than the 370 though? The path less travelled is generally that way for a reason, OK, theres obviously some brand snobbery going on but it cant just be that. If you lived near a GTR dealer (like me) and saw GTR's every day (like I do) would that really put you off them??

I know things like performance, reliability etc etc are what really matters (the Z is no slouch) but for me there's also that feeling of wanting to have something a bit different that stands out from the crowd.

Does a 370 stand out from the crowd or does it look like an updated 350Z, which bears more than a passing resemblance to a 911 or a TT though? If you really want to stand out from the crowd, you buy a TVR, or a Maserati, or a Corvette, not a Nissan, no?

That's why I would never touch the Audi or the M3 - they may be good cars but they just don't look interesting or unusual enough.

I dunno, I personally think the M3 and S5 stand out from the rest of the commuter mob quite nicely, but even if you dont agree there are at least 5/6 posts talking about modifying, stick a sweet set of rims on an M3 or S5 and youve got a unique car - these old girls wouldnt blend into a crowd, for instance:

625hp-Frozen-Black-BMW-M3-on-Strasse-Forged-Wheels.jpg

m3v8-may09-1.jpg

Would not go for a Porsche, far too many of them round our way, we call them Canford Cliffs Cortinas, purchased purely for the badge not the driving abilities, I prefer to be a little different so would look at Maserati, Aston Martin, TVR, Noble or even a Dodge Challanger Hemi.

• Like 1

As Doc says though, some people may buy Porkers for the badge, but enthusiasts buy them because they are really bloody good cars. Who cares if everyone else has one, I'd rather have a common car that suited my needs exactly than something a bit different that was a compromise. Masers and Astons are bought by poseurs, Porkers are bought by drivers ;)

GT86 is a very good shout, I'd certainly look into one of those too.

Before I type anything, I want to make it clear this isnt a personal attack on you by any means but some of what youve said here I find quite interesting .......... be interested in what others think too :)

370Z all the way for me. Might not be as technically good as a Cayman S but if you live in my area there are Porsche Boxters/Caymans and expensive Audi's parked in every other street.

Does that not just suggest that they are good, if not better cars than the 370 though? The path less travelled is generally that way for a reason, OK, theres obviously some brand snobbery going on but it cant just be that. If you lived near a GTR dealer (like me) and saw GTR's every day (like I do) would that really put you off them??

I know things like performance, reliability etc etc are what really matters (the Z is no slouch) but for me there's also that feeling of wanting to have something a bit different that stands out from the crowd.

Does a 370 stand out from the crowd or does it look like an updated 350Z, which bears more than a passing resemblance to a 911 or a TT though? If you really want to stand out from the crowd, you buy a TVR, or a Maserati, or a Corvette, not a Nissan, no?

That's why I would never touch the Audi or the M3 - they may be good cars but they just don't look interesting or unusual enough.

I dunno, I personally think the M3 and S5 stand out from the rest of the commuter mob quite nicely, but even if you dont agree there are at least 5/6 posts talking about modifying, stick a sweet set of rims on an M3 or S5 and youve got a unique car - these old girls wouldnt blend into a crowd, for instance:

625hp-Frozen-Black-BMW-M3-on-Strasse-Forged-Wheels.jpg

m3v8-may09-1.jpg

Don't worry - I don't take it as a personal attack - I'm all for a bit of healthy debate provided it's done politely etc :)

I think the mistake people could make in interpreting my comments is that I am saying that having an unusual car is the be all and end all - it definitely isn't. To be clear, I would never buy a car that I felt had the unusual factor if it was a let down in other departments. That certainly isn't the case for me with the 370Z. I love driving it and I think it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. I feel it has a good blend of performance, price, reliability, looks etc. My comments on the M3 and the Audi are purely personal opinion on the aesthetics - I just don't find them interesting enough to look at, even if they are great cars.

I'm constantly surprised by the amount of positive attention my Z gets from all sorts of people (most recently a middle aged woman randomly walking down our street who made a point of coming over to tell me what a great looking car she thinks it is). While that sort of thing shouldn't/wouldn't be a predominant factor in my wanting a car it, just adds significantly to the enjoyment I already get from driving it etc. Re your GTR analogy (I love them by the way) it's not so much about seeing a car every day, it's about wanting to own something that no many other people have - I like that. I wouldn't get that feeling if I owned a Cayman - certainly not around here. It's probably for that reason that when I look just for the fun of it at what I might want to move to in a few years I find myself drawn to cars that are quite unusual to look at even if they are not considered to be the absolute best in class. An example would be the 2012/13 Lotus Evora S. It's not considered to be absolutely the best car in its class, but it is still thought of as a very good car, and for me it has the added appeal of being a real head turner. :)

Edited by sipar69

Save up a little bit more and get yourself a GT-R, staying Jap, staying RWD, staying extremely AWESOME!

DISCLAIMER: I'M 20 YEARS OLD AND HAVE NO SENSIBLE BONE IN MY BODY, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DECISIONS MADE BY YOU AFTER READING MY POSTS

But the GT-R isn't RWD :wacko:

I would agree with the comments on M3s and Audi's etc, they are pretty much the same body shape as a bog standard car plus some slight bumper changes and bigger wheels, for me not a big enough deviation to set them apart from the crowd. Quite easy to get a sporty 3 series and an M3 mixed up if it drove by at 30mph. You will just blend into the rest of the rep mobiles.

Two seaters certainly start to set you apart as they are impractical in our currently impoverished world - thats already a fairly big step away - but then you get a section of those which are pretty common such as the Porsches which people will plump for because its a decent package and is a 'safer' bet from a driving point of view. I have gone a bit more extreme and bought something which is not that much short from a pure track car for the road in the VX, I was sat between a 911 and a new shape Boxster in traffic the other day in Richmond and no one was batting an eyelid at the grey Porsches but looking and pointing at the low slung red car in the middle of them (although that could be a bad thing :lol:)

*note that i know porsches have more than two seats but you get the point!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 2

Supercharge a 370z maybe? I mean, if you've got 25k to spend the worlds your oyster really. Id be tempted with £25k to supercharge the 350z and then buy a Jag XF as a second car lmao.

But in all seriousness, theres alot of cars out there. Wouldnt a Ferrari 348 tempt you? Not the best in performance but its the class and prestige!

I would agree with the comments on M3s and Audi's etc, they are pretty much the same body shape as a bog standard car plus some slight bumper changes and bigger wheels, for me not a big enough deviation to set them apart from the crowd. Quite easy to get a sporty 3 series and an M3 mixed up if it drove by at 30mph. You will just blend into the rest of the rep mobiles.

Yeah, you could stick an M badge on and 99% of people either (1) wouldn't notice (me for one) or (2) wouldn't know the difference anyway.....most people just see another BMW :shrug: .

Pete

Edited by JetSet

As Doc says though, some people may buy Porkers for the badge, but enthusiasts buy them because they are really bloody good cars. Who cares if everyone else has one, I'd rather have a common car that suited my needs exactly than something a bit different that was a compromise. Masers and Astons are bought by poseurs, Porkers are bought by drivers ;)

GT86 is a very good shout, I'd certainly look into one of those too.

Ekona, I understand what you are saying about Porsche as drivers cars but these days unless you do track days, you cant exploit the cars full abilities and stay within the speed limit etc and IMO if your into track days then the choice is a Caterham or similar. My needs and desire is to have something a little different to drive and as good as a Porsche is, I would not choose to follow the pack but have something different, poseur car or not, actually I always fancied myself as a poseur! :D

Ekona, I understand what you are saying about Porsche as drivers cars but these days unless you do track days, you cant exploit the cars full abilities and stay within the speed limit etc and IMO if your into track days then the choice is a Caterham or similar. My needs and desire is to have something a little different to drive and as good as a Porsche is, I would not choose to follow the pack but have something different, poseur car or not, actually I always fancied myself as a poseur! :D

Might as well buy an MX5 then, if we're going to start worrying about not being able to use all the abilities of the car. You can't get anywhere near either the 350 or 370 limits on the road, which kinda makes your point redundant ;)

Might as well buy an MX5 then, if we're going to start worrying about not being able to use all the abilities of the car. You can't get anywhere near either the 350 or 370 limits on the road, which kinda makes your point redundant ;)

Exactly right, I dont get anywhere near the Zeds limit on the road ( couldnt afford to lose my licence) but then I dont worry about it either cos thats what track days and competing is for. I just like to drive something a little different thats not so popular and thats why we are all different. I didnt buy the Zed for its performance I purchased it because its different to the normal Boxster's, RX7's and the like that litter my way. :surrender:

• Like 1

So I'm going to offer a completely different point of view to everyone else here. One many might even slam me on, but some will **** their heads to one side and think 'hmmm, yeah'.

For the money you're talking about spending, which is a deposit on a house I might add! Get yourself 3 cars:

1) an older classic, either done up or modified, whichever takes your fancy,

2) an older 4x4 so you can feel like king of the road, regardless of what it looks like on the outside, you're just bigger than everyone else and if you buy one with a V8 it'll growl really nicely, even if it doesn't shift.

3) a BMW/Audi from 2002 - 2007, can be picked up for less than £10k, easy as hell to spot the ones that have been looked after, cheap servicing, parts getting cheaper and depreciation not an issue

Personally, we have a P38 V8 Range Rover, a Twin Turbo 300zx and a BMW 330 ClubSport. The 330 ClubSport is not quite an M3 (Nowhere near really) but is a nice colour, has the bits of trim that make it look different to other BMWs and returns 40mpg if I drive it sensibly, but corners like it's on rails, has traction control and goes quite quickly if I have a heavy right foot.

The Range Rover burbles along, elevating me above just about every other road user, except trucks and Range Rovers with lift kits :D

The 300zx, well, that fills several functions/roles, it amazes and attracts attention wherever it goes, from old ladies, to 5 year old kids. It gives you a thrill on the roads, even if you do have to hold back and can't use it's full potential on the road, but it also works at shows and race tracks for that driving experience you just can't have on the road. It also works really well at annoying the crap out of people, who've spent a house deposit on their sports/super car and you **** all over them when they put their foot down :D

• Like 1

My ten pence worth as I was in the same place about one year ago and my choices were same as yours pretty much.

E90 M3, covered a fair few miles in one of these. Only words to describe, mega! Both in enjoyment and yearly running costs if looked after properly. S5 bit too plain for my liking, looks too similar to S line oil burner, lovely inside.

My leftfield choice was a tidy 996 X50 turbo! Massive grip and stonking performance, just looked dated inside after going in boss's 997C4S. Probably will have to go back and scratch that itch at some point. Probably a 997 turbo when funds allow.

I would go for a good test drive for all your candidates then decide :teeth:. All nice cars in my opinion which tick different box's.

Oh, I ended up with a 370z roadster and not looked back.

Considering he has £10k saved by buying the above cars, insuring and taxing them for a full year and buying them all brand new tyres and first service, I think we're safe to say he'd be ok. :D

TBH if I spent 10k on a car I wouldn't want to be spending more than the value of it keeping it on the road though :lol:

The old V8 Range Rovers are going to cost you an arm and a leg to keep a dated car on the road. Prefer to get something newer and more efficient and spend my budget.

Had my P38 for a year, has cost me a battery, an alternator and a replacement ECU for the autobox after I cooked it in the lake district chasing 350zs through the country lanes. Hardly a tenth the cost of the car itself ;) Sorry, but a big erk for me is when people say old cars cost you money, it's bull, the old ones have already had the money spent if you buy right :D Not to mention buying it, insuring it, taxing it, fueling it, repairing it, has cost me like 1% of what a new one would cost to put on the road and I won't be losing 25% of it's value any time soon.

I mean fuel and the like, road tax, potential to go wrong if you get a wrong 'un is higher with older cars.

Don't get me wrong, my car is 11 years old! But you are adding the risk there there that your hard earned is going to to get eaten up by some hidden beast in an old Range Rover rather than invested in a newer car.

Not denying older cars are reliable! I had a 2004 Zed, now a 2002 VX. But be I doubt if someone has £25k in the bank for a car, they would spend half of that and then swallow high running costs. Maybe they will, we will see, but if I wanted a car that had low running costs that would mean low costs regardless of how much it cost me in the first place.