Just a quick coolant question..

SkylineV35

.. i was driving along and felt like my car was unnaturally hot, although the temperature gauge was still sitting below half, so when i got home i thought ok maybe time for a quick oil check. Checked that and it was fine. So im thinking strange with the mishimoto fan setup aswell it should be cooler if anything, so as i was lurking around i noticed the coolant bottle was near enough empty!? So quick trip to harlfords and topped her backup did the whole let the car run and topup at radiator etc.

But if i remember correctly i topped her up after installing the fan which was about a month ago... is it normal to go through so much coolant am I just paranoid? or when i took that lil shunt on the driver side its knocked a pipe loose?

So i took her a quick sprint through some twisty and the expressway for around 15mins then parked up back home to check the level its exactly where i topt up at and i popped back out 5mins later to see if there was a puddle of coolant on the floor or not... and dry as a nuns ....was the floor. so any ideas?

Thanks

Saskhi

* sorry wrong section should be 350z technical as its a rev up engine sorry.. :doh:

Edited by SkylineV35

Hmm, you shouldn't really be losing any coolant at all, there must be a minute leak somewhere, small enough to evaporate when running, probably as system is pressurised, but too small to have any obvious signs of leakage when not pressurised.

Check all your hoses again and give any clips a tighten up. Might have to drain and undo, redo up then refill.

Hmm, you shouldn't really be losing any coolant at all, there must be a minute leak somewhere, small enough to evaporate when running, probably as system is pressurised, but too small to have any obvious signs of leakage when not pressurised.

Check all your hoses again and give any clips a tighten up. Might have to drain and undo, redo up then refill.

Ok just a quick recap there are two thick hoses one from top of radiator and one at bottom correct and there the lil hose that goes from the top of coolant bottle to radiator are there any other hoses i should check?

Thanks man

If these are the only three connections that you've undone when you fitted the fan, definitely check them, both ends, also is there any noise/squeel from the water pump?, there'll be hoses in that region.

This type of thing is, while not common, something that can happen when a new coolant change has been done. The new coolant will find the smallest of leaks as any deposits from the old stuff is stripped off. Also give the radiator a good look. Hopefully it's not serious, I'm doubtful as to whether it is.

Another possibility is that you haven't topped up the coolant enough after fitment and/or not bled the air out for long enough. If this is the case then you should see no further drop off in coolant levels.

Edited by The G Man

If these are the only three connections that you've undone when you fitted the fan, definitely check them, both ends, also is there any noise/squeel from the water pump?, there'll be hoses in that region.

This type of thing is, while not common, something that can happen when a new coolant change has been done. The new coolant will find the smallest of leaks as any deposits from the old stuff is stripped off. Also give the radiator a good look. Hopefully it's not serious, I'm doubtful as to whether it is.

Another possibility is that you haven't topped up the coolant enough after fitment and/or not bled the air out for long enough. If this is the case then you should see no further drop off in coolant levels.

+1 i could just be that you had some air trapped when you did the change, which then purged during running. if the level was low in the overflow bottle you'd be left with a low level in the radiator

When i parked her up lastnight she was just above the max came out this morning and shes below halfway, I recently just had a coolant flush by nissan, surely they bled the air out properly? think il get my hands dirty and double check the hoses etc :dry: dam..

I wouldn't get Nissan to flush a Micra..let alone my Zed... :scare: :scare:

When i parked her up lastnight she was just above the max came out this morning and shes below halfway, I recently just had a coolant flush by nissan, surely they bled the air out properly? think il get my hands dirty and double check the hoses etc :dry: dam..

I had mine flushed at service and the tech said after he felt there was air in there, but they couldn't shift it, so sent me off with instructions to drive home and check. Sure enough it was down a chunk when I arrived, but quick top up later and it's all good. Hopefully that's all it is.

Thanks mod for moving it to right section.

Ok well I checked all the hoses, etc cant find leak anywhere i even switched the clips for jubilee clips. Issit possible piping near the heater matrix is leaking? Im really out of ideas!? Yeah I was thinking of taking it back to nissan and here there thoughts on it too. The thing is when i parked up lastnight it was still fine then over one night i lost so much?! so im thinking while theres pressure in the system its stopping the leak but when depressurised its leaking?

What are your thoughts on radiator stop leak? I had a look and it said that it will fix leaks on radiator, silicone hoses etc.. Is this more of a temporary fix or am i better off just replacing everything eg hoses radiator etc?

(edit)

Thats me just ordered a set of samco silicone hoses.

This is really the last thing i need especially with the door being repaired and respray etc. total headache! :bang:

And there was one night where i turned on the heaters to defog the window and it seemed to refog the lower part of the window, but that has never happened again since, i thought that was due to underbonnet bulkhead temp being hot on a freezing night. But i have read this could also be a cause of heater matrix leaking, but i have felt the passenger side carpet and no dampness there..

Edited by SkylineV35