0-60 times!!

zippypooz

Funny lots of comments have been that the zed is slower than it looks.

Seriously, looking at paper 0-60 times is about as useful as pi55ing in the wind, if you look at the various remap bhps of 'identical' zeds on here they can differ by anything up to 30bhp. Then you got tyres, flywheels and of course the drivers.

Then of course lots of turbo cars out there are remapped, you average Seat Leon diesel remapped is probably not far off a Zed.

All that said, they look great, I still love them, but what they are not are 0-60 cars.

Your vx220 turbo'd up on the other hand that could be a tasty 0-60 B)

I wonder if anyone has done any testing on the ZED, I mean the 280bhp will do 0 - 60 in 5.9 and the HR with around 30 more bhp can only take a tenth of a second off this.

Bearing in mind these are set on a standard car, What is the difference from a 280 bhp without rays to a 350z 280 bhp with rays and uprev. ( not taking into account plenum spaces or exhaust) ?

That too me sounds like sizable improvement that would command a bigger increase in the 0 - 60 but some how it doesn't. ( I know it would be handling wise)

:shrug: odd

Edited by hensh65

I wonder if anyone has done any testing on the ZED, I mean the 280bhp will do 0 - 60 in 5.9 and the HR with around 30 more bhp can only take a tenth of a second off this.

Bearing in mind these are set on a standard car, What is the difference from a 280 bhp without rays to a 350z 280 bhp with rays and uprev. ( not taking into account plenum spaces or exhaust) ?

That too me sounds like sizable improvement that would command a bigger increase in the 0 - 60 but some how it doesn't. ( I know it would be handling wise)

:shrug: odd

A lot of that 30bhp is negated by the extra weight, it's 75 kgs, a bit like carrying a passenger. 0-60 times will vary considerably depending on the driver too, an expert will know exactly the revs and clutch release speed, he or she will know the precise moment to change gear. If you look at the claimed figures they suggest a 0-60 time of either 5.7 or 5.9, just depends which review you read. If you read some of the road test reviews, ie those magazines who have actually taken the Zed to a track and accurately measured the 0-60 using calibrated equipment then the times vary from 5.3 to 6.2 and anything in between. I would suggest that on an average road using road tyres and half a tank of fuel only a few of us would break 6.5 seconds.

It's not just The Zed though, I looked at performance figures for some of the cars I've owned in the past and they vary considerably.

Pete

You won't make 5.9 in a standard Zed, unless you fancy destroying your drivetrain. Manufacturer figures rarely tell the truth on these. Non-premium brands over exaggerate, premium brands under estimate as a rule.

Good job its not standard then :D

• Like 1

Funny lots of comments have been that the zed is slower than it looks.

Seriously, looking at paper 0-60 times is about as useful as pi55ing in the wind, if you look at the various remap bhps of 'identical' zeds on here they can differ by anything up to 30bhp. Then you got tyres, flywheels and of course the drivers.

Then of course lots of turbo cars out there are remapped, you average Seat Leon diesel remapped is probably not far off a Zed.

All that said, they look great, I still love them, but what they are not are 0-60 cars.

Your vx220 turbo'd up on the other hand that could be a tasty 0-60 B)

I think the paper times for the bog standard turbos are something like 4.7 seconds. I know the stage II superchargers on the converted NAs have been timed around 4 second mark.

To be quite frank, I have a standard NA, and its launch capabilities are scary sometimes as you are not surrounded by airbags and car structure, but a bit of fibre glass and velcro! Makes for a whole different driving experience and to be honest quite happy to be stuck doing the 0-60 dash in about 6 seconds :lol:

Haha just been able to see the rest of this, its fine Steve post away (you could have posted the one where I kept up a bit for the beginning but noo you post the utter annihilation vid :lol:;)). Yeah was mainly down to the driver and the fact I didn't think of the bright idea ot use the handbrake as it kept rolling lol But what it does show for the relevance of the post is the Zed is not an easy thing to pick away in. Even when you get a good launch you feel sorry for the poor thing cos its so harsh. Forget your 0-60... mid-range punch that's where you'll enjoy your car! :thumbs:

Edited by AMT
  • Like 3

Very interesting to hear the various posts!! Im actually wondering if something's been done to mine as it feels pretty rapid all through the gears and definately quicker than around six seconds...but im in agreement that mid range is where it comes into its own...to be honest, whatever the '0-60' times were, id still love the car...id like to know who designed it as to look at it, where ever you stand, its a gorgeous sports car...some cars you look at are let down from certain angles or you find the front looks good but the back looks dreadful or vice versa...but the Z in my humble opinion looks great no matter where you stand, full of sexy curves, brutish arches and wow what an ass!!!!!!!!! :bleh:

Just don't look at the profile if you own the ragtop version and have the roof up... 'Challenging' is being kind ;)

370Z got it so much better in that regard.

Haha to be fair, there arnt many ragtops that look good with the roof up!! The Z4 for example!! Although i do like the 350 with the roof down!! B)

Just don't look at the profile if you own the ragtop version and have the roof up... 'Challenging' is being kind ;)

Funnily enough I was at the O2 with my sister today and she said whats that car over there (350z ragtop) the front looks like your old one but the rest is so ugly it looks all wrong :lol:

Funnily enough I was at the O2 with my sister today and she said whats that car over there (350z ragtop) the front looks like your old one but the rest is so ugly it looks all wrong :lol:

Awwwww!! Still a great car tho!! The worst i think is the Z3!!

Very interesting to hear the various posts!! Im actually wondering if something's been done to mine as it feels pretty rapid all through the gears and definately quicker than around six seconds...but im in agreement that mid range is where it comes into its own...to be honest, whatever the '0-60' times were, id still love the car...id like to know who designed it as to look at it, where ever you stand, its a gorgeous sports car...some cars you look at are let down from certain angles or you find the front looks good but the back looks dreadful or vice versa...but the Z in my humble opinion looks great no matter where you stand, full of sexy curves, brutish arches and wow what an ass!!!!!!!!! :bleh:

Get the book Nissan 300ZX / 350Z "The Z-car Story by Brian Long and it will give you the history of the Zed including all the design info. :thumbs:

• Like 1

All the time in Town.. 0 to 40 is more relevant to my driving

Will, you live in London, its 0-4, not 40...

As everyone else has said, yes I like having a quoted 0-60 of less than 6 seconds, and in all reality I can probably do in in little over 6 from the ever truthful bum dyno, but the zed isn't meant for that really, the gear changes are far too clunky to be 100% reliable, however if you make some quick changes to get out of 1st and second and get it into 3rd doing about 40, floor it, almost nothing short of turbo'd cars will stick with you, this is where this car shines.

It would be pretty good on a rolling 1/4 mile against other cars. Im happy with the zed the way it is, im quite happy now to pootle along on dual carriageways doing 70-75 rather than all my other cars where id never drop below 80. I know the zed has that immediate power at speed if I need it so I don't feel the need to continually go at warp speed.

@zippypooz - Perhaps its been remapped, Rev-Up for example.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 5