So what do we think?

glrnet

I am a keen cyclist myself and I think that there should be an initial tax included in the purchase of a brand new bike. I think more should be done to encourage cyclists, such as more cycle tracks, on and off the road as some of the roads I have to cycle on to get to work are horrendous both in terms of traffic and the state of the road. However saying that a small amount of tax on the sale of every bike isnt going to be financially big enough to make a difference to our roads.

I am a keen cyclist myself and I think that there should be an initial tax included in the purchase of a brand new bike. I think more should be done to encourage cyclists, such as more cycle tracks, on and off the road as some of the roads I have to cycle on to get to work are horrendous both in terms of traffic and the state of the road. However saying that a small amount of tax on the sale of every bike isnt going to be financially big enough to make a difference to our roads.

There are miles of cycle lanes in London...and its very rare to see a cyclist in them, they prefer to be on the road.

In Tokyo its an offence to ride your cycle on the road...you can ride them on the pavement instead... :scare:

• Like 1

Red light jumping or cycling two abreast I hate. I did a cycling proficiency test when I was younger. Maybe all should be made to do so. We have to take a theory test to learn the rules of the road, why don't they? Would make them better cyclists and maybe ease anger between both parties. :shrug:

Applies to both the cyclist and the driver. I have some cars come flying past me whilst a car is coming the other way, literally leaving me a few inches. But also I have seen plenty of cyclist jumping the lights. I think on the spot fines should be introduced for cyclists for breaking such rules. Cycling 2 abreast shouldnt be too much of a problem as drivers should be leaving enough space for riders to cycle side by side.

There are miles of cycle lanes in London...and its very rare to see a cyclist in them, they prefer to be on the road.

In Tokyo its an offence to ride your cycle on the road...you can ride them on the pavement instead... :scare:

I have some of the national cycle network run right past the bottom of the garden which is a tarmac path about 2 / 3m wide through the fields and completely off the road (runs along an old railway line) and the amount of people that use it is huge. Ive never cycled in London but I can imagine that a cycle lane in a busy city will include bus stops and parking spaces, sometimes it will be safer to stay on the road where the traffic is moving and not pulling out.

Red light jumping or cycling two abreast I hate. I did a cycling proficiency test when I was younger. Maybe all should be made to do so. We have to take a theory test to learn the rules of the road, why don't they? Would make them better cyclists and maybe ease anger between both parties. :shrug:

Applies to both the cyclist and the driver. I have some cars come flying past me whilst a car is coming the other way, literally leaving me a few inches. But also I have seen plenty of cyclist jumping the lights. I think on the spot fines should be introduced for cyclists for breaking such rules. Cycling 2 abreast shouldnt be too much of a problem as drivers should be leaving enough space for riders to cycle side by side.

***Why do you need more than a few inches space? a single cyclist doesn't need 6 feet of cycle room, 3-4 inches of space is plenty. If a cyclist can't go in a straight line they shouldn't be on the road.***

Error in size perception, read below.

Edited by Dedman

You shouldn't be giving cyclists only 4 inches of space, that's crazy. If they catch a wheel on a poor bit of road, or a sudden gust of wind (like that created by vehicles) gives them a wobble-on, then there's every chance they could fall into your car and they could get seriously hurt.

I always give them two foot minimum, both for their benefit and mine.

• Like 1

You shouldn't be giving cyclists only 4 inches of space, that's crazy. If they catch a wheel on a poor bit of road, or a sudden gust of wind (like that created by vehicles) gives them a wobble-on, then there's every chance they could fall into your car and they could get seriously hurt.

I always give them two foot minimum, both for their benefit and mine.

Just checked what a "real" inch is and yep, 4 inches is quite a small gap :lol:, I retract my previous statement. I was being a generic man and thinking an inch is much bigger than it actually is :lol:

• Like 1

I treat cyclists the same as a car, if I can't pass one safely I patiently wait behind till there is space to do so. I would say I'm pretty much almost fully on the opposite side when I pass. Cost me no more than about 30 seconds of my life, makes no difference to the time I get in. I'd rather see more cyclists on the road, than half the idioms behind car steering wheels that are currently out there. A cyclist is slow moving and easy to avoid. Muppets in 1.5 ton battering rams who can't negotiate a roundabout are far more hazardous than a 90kg cyclist.

• Like 2

Every weds night I drive down priory lane in roehampton stuck behind loads of wannabe Tour de France entrants who will not cycle in the expensively installed cycle lane - so frustrating that so much money is wasted on these lanes.

• Like 1

1. Add the VED to the cost of fuel (this would also save a fortune for the government as DVLA could be halved)

2. Make it mandatory for cyclists to be insured and include some form of identification mark

3. Proficiency test for all road users (inc mobility scooters and horse riders)

Job done

Hah, youve all got it easy, try living in Cambridge. On average I get 1 a year drive into my car (that Im driving at the time, dont even bother about parked cars) and I find it amazing how it stupid things like traffic lights and one way streets dont apply to them. Sure, there are plenty of considerate cyclists around and more power to them but to have someone rant at you after they have driven into your car thats been stationery for 5 seconds because you saw them coming is quite an experience.

We have a new one round here though, 2-4 cyclists riding line abreast (sometimes right onto the other side of the road) on the country lanes which is tantamount to suicide IMO, its only a matter of time before one gets hit.

In the last two weeks Ive had them moving over to block me going past them, and then coming up a line of traffic on the drivers side when you reach a junction, effectively blocking the whole junction while you wait for a gap big enough for them to cross.

I saw a cyclist nearly get killed when he was on the RHS of a van waiting to turn right, about 4 ft onto the wrong side of the road, when a car coming down the main road turned right across the front of the van he came within inches of hitting him as he couldnt see he was there - once again, car drivers fault, cyclist launches into massive rant, I nearly got out and clocked him one.

Ive got no issue with cyclists in general but they need to remember that if bad things happen, they are always going to come off worse, taking risks and ignoring the rules of the road are not the best idea.

• Like 1

Hah, youve all got it easy, try living in Cambridge. On average I get 1 a year drive into my car (that Im driving at the time, dont even bother about parked cars) and I find it amazing how it stupid things like traffic lights and one way streets dont apply to them. Sure, there are plenty of considerate cyclists around and more power to them but to have someone rant at you after they have driven into your car thats been stationery for 5 seconds because you saw them coming is quite an experience.

We have a new one round here though, 2-4 cyclists riding line abreast (sometimes right onto the other side of the road) on the country lanes which is tantamount to suicide IMO, its only a matter of time before one gets hit.

In the last two weeks Ive had them moving over to block me going past them, and then coming up a line of traffic on the drivers side when you reach a junction, effectively blocking the whole junction while you wait for a gap big enough for them to cross.

I saw a cyclist nearly get killed when he was on the RHS of a van waiting to turn right, about 4 ft onto the wrong side of the road, when a car coming down the main road turned right across the front of the van he came within inches of hitting him as he couldnt see he was there - once again, car drivers fault, cyclist launches into massive rant, I nearly got out and clocked him one.

Ive got no issue with cyclists in general but they need to remember that if bad things happen, they are always going to come off worse, taking risks and ignoring the rules of the road are not the best idea.

I nearly took one out who was going round a major 6 exit roundabout near me because he was going round the wrong way, apparently it was my fault because I didn't see him in the dark. I swear a lot of them think they are superior to car drivers because they are carbon neutral or something.

I think the sad case of affairs are with cyclists is that if you see one stop at some lights you actually find it unusual and you do notice it. I would say in my experience in London at least 90% of cyclists go through red lights, wrong way on roads, on pavements etc. on a regular basis - yes drivers do speed in 30mph zones etc but no where near to the sheer degree and numbers that cyclists do. I think if they made more effort to be part of road traffic and follow the same rules as everyone else then they would not get the same angst from car users they currently do.

• Like 1

That's a good point really: Anyone who speeds or otherwise breaks the laws of the road really can't complain much about cyclists not obeying the law if they don't bother to do so themselves.

Speeding doesnt really bother anyone though, and I dont think I know any car drivers who regularly ignore red lights or 1 way streets ..........

The missus rides a horse BTW, and while Im not a great fan at least they usually travel in single file, you might annoy them but youre unlikely to pile into the back of one because youve got nowhere else to go

Speeding does bother the people it kills I would say though - most drivers will turn on other drivers who drive like dickheads and really flout the law, so why are cyclists so surprised that they suffer the same fate when they do the same.

Speeding does bother the people it kills I would say though - most drivers will turn on other drivers who drive like dickheads and really flout the law, so why are cyclists so surprised that they suffer the same fate when they do the same.

Because cyclists are penis'

1. Add the VED to the cost of fuel (this would also save a fortune for the government as DVLA could be halved)

This works for most vehicles, unfortunately lorries would get absolutely hammered so something needs to be done there along the lines of rebates etc unless we want to cripple our shops/economy.

2. Make it mandatory for cyclists to be insured and include some form of identification mark

3. Proficiency test for all road users (inc mobility scooters and horse riders)

Job done

The DVLA has already just been halved hasn't it :shrug: