Help - Oil Light

JackStrong

Hi,

My oil light has just come on. Bit worried as it only had a service ~3000 miles ago in March.

Im going to go buy some oil, so how many litres should I put in ? (note. upto im aware upto dipstick level ;) )

Thanks

Edited by JackStrong

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Zed holds about 4.6/7L of oil and the difference from L to H on the dipstick is 1.8L. So if you are below L you are running at only 50% ish oil. This will be a vicious cycle as that oil will get hotter than normal and not work as efficiently. :(

Get some more in fast and hope that you haven't done any short / long term damage!

Seems normal.

Forgot to mention, the oil light only comes on when going around sharp corners, at normal speed, so just above the limit

Centrifugal force pushing the oil away from the sensor.

Pete

Seems normal.

Forgot to mention, the oil light only comes on when going around sharp corners, at normal speed, so just above the limit

Pete

I'm no expert, but that shouldn't happen at road speeds with a full sump? If you were tracking or racing, then this can happen which is why people get baffled sumps to prevent this.

Well reluctantly I drove very slowly to the halfords down the road, only 2 miles away. Put ~3 litres in and its now half way between the notches.

" So if you are below L you are running at only 50% ish oil. This will be a vicious cycle as that oil will get hotter than normal and not work as efficiently. :("

Yeh when putting oil in it was fuming out the top.

Seems ok now :surrender:

Thanks guys

Hi,

My oil light has just come on. Bit worried as it only had a service ~3000 miles ago in March.

Im going to go buy some oil, so how many litres should I put in ? (note. upto im aware upto dipstick level ;) )

Thanks

Youve either got a leak or the garage bodged your service. I'd go back and have a word with them.....

IMHO as this car should be treated 110%.

Is if your not too mechanically minded take it to another garage (plenty you can get recommended here) i use a motorsport garage here in Redditch! and get them to do a oil change! and visually check for any signs of leaks ofcourse this only if your not up to doing it!

if on the flip side you know what your doing as above dont drive the car get it up on your ramps get some new oil in there have a good look about, obv im not about to type a service how to

but again imo how ever you do it, id go with a fresh oil change!

Edited by Sempiternal

Seems normal.

Pete

I'm no expert, but that shouldn't happen at road speeds with a full sump?

That's right but once the oil drops below a certain level then centrifugal force on hard cornering can be enough to expose the sensor to fresh air. For some cars this can happen when you go up steep hills (I have experience of this :blush: ) and I would imagine it can happen when going down a steep hill, just depends there the sensor is mounted. Hard braking (yes, been there too) can also trigger the warning light if there isn't enough oil .

Pete

Seems normal.

Pete

That's right but once the oil drops below a certain level then centrifugal force on hard cornering can be enough to expose the sensor to fresh air. For some cars this can happen when you go up steep hills (I have experience of this :blush: ) and I would imagine it can happen when going down a steep hill, just depends there the sensor is mounted. Hard braking (yes, been there too) can also trigger the warning light if there isn't enough oil .

Pete

this^

especially if it takes over 3l to fill up!!

Seems normal.

Pete

Pete

Its not oil surging away from a sensor if its the oil pressure light - its oil surging away from the pump pickup and therefore the pressure running low/the pump picking-up air and triggering the oil pressure light.

The usual words of wisdom are that if the oil pressure light comes on during driving, then damage has most likely been done.

Also if its 3000 miles since the service, it is possible that if the car uses a bit of oil or develops a leak it could be as low as you found, so it might not be the garage's fault. This is why it should be checked every week, 'cos the consumption can quickly change if for example a leak starts.

As others have said, get the oil changed ASAP, as its likely run too hot, then hope for the best, check the level regularly and watch the pressure gauge.

• Like 1