Ideas for my next car

smudgedon

So as you may have seen, the Zed is up for sale on here, eBay and Pistonheads. Hopefully get some interest as I finish putting her back to standard over the next coming weeks :)

This leaves me with a dilemma as to what my next car should be! The Zed is everything I need from a car and I don't think anything will compare, but I need a set of wheels

Part of me is saying to get a cheap Fiesta for like £300 and just run it into the ground for a year until I can afford to buy another decent car (maybe even another Zed) but I just don't think I can downgrade that much

Much budget would be something around £2k, so was wondering what people would do in my situation?

My spec list for a car is:

Reliable

Good looking - aesthetics are important to me in a car

Fairly quick (can't downgrade too much after the Zed)

Rare - I don't like having Audi A3's that every Tom, Dick and Harry has

Not German - running costs of my last 3 German cars were just stupid

I've got a shortlist of some things I've briefly looked into:

BH5 Legacy GTB

01w.jpg

Mondeo ST220 V6 (had the diesel version before)

_Ford_Mondeo_ST2204b880dfd7f6d9.jpg

Mitsubishi Evo 4

3180908_3_full.jpg

And at a push, because I don't really like BMW's and it's German, a BMW 540i Sport

IMG_2038.jpg

The Legacy is my favourite, but seems to be hard to find a BH5 rather than the earlier BG5 which has the ugly front end within my budget. There is 1 at £2k but potentially needs a new front dif. Plus the Evo and the Legacy have the same issue of high insurance premiums due to being turbocharged Jap cars which seem to carry a high price

The Mondeo is a great car, had the diesel version before. Not sure about the V6 engine in them and again would be hard to find a nice example for around £2k

The BMW probably won't even be considered, it's German, it's a BMW....but it's a 4ltr V8 with RWD :p fun fun!

Any other suggestions guys?

All of those can cost a bomb to run. Double your budget and get something more reliable?

Can't just double my budget :wacko:

The Legacy is pretty reliable, as is the Evo. Just need regular oil changes which isn't a problem

I know there old but how about a saxo vts, fun little cars and cheap to buy and run. Plus good fun around a track if you get the urge.

Ewww, no

I used to have a Legacy twin turbo. Easily as fast as the zed in a straight line - when the big turbo spooled up the blood drained out of my feet... however, it was an auto and that bit went wrong - lower gears crunched and a shaft must have come loose - many expensive noises. Eventually the lockup clutch stopped working too. Others in the Legacy club used to have problems with the transfer box causing hoppity skip in reverse.

Apart from weak transmission, the Akebono brakes were absolute rubbish where the calipers were forever seizing up. And the cam covers on flat fours tend to leak - unfortunately the exhaust goes underneath them so you get a well known 'Leggy smell' of burnt oil through the air vents.

Great cars - they were known as the Subaru lunacy when they came out, great spec etc, but old now and don't age well. :thumbs:

Is200?

Hmmm....don't know much about them. Bit slow aren't they?

yea slow nice cars tho

if you could push the boat out and get an altezza bit more like it

but there was a TTE supercharged is200 on ebay last few weeks for £2000 BIN

Consider a Scooby i picked my bugeye up dirt cheap and is trooper so far,i know you wanted different i got a white one so that ticked my box,the legacy is great my friend owned one but not without a list of problems, failing that maybe gt4 celica as mentioned

Evo service intervals come along every 10 days, and cost and arm and a leg :scare: Speaking to a couple of local owners it really did put me off buying one.

How about a Focus RS

Ford_Focus_RS_front.jpg

Mazda 6 MPS (very rare!)

Red-mazda-6-Wallpaper-HD.jpg

Celica VVTLi

front.jpg

Is200?

Hmmm....don't know much about them. Bit slow aren't they?

yea slow nice cars tho

if you could push the boat out and get an altezza bit more like it

but there was a TTE supercharged is200 on ebay last few weeks for £2000 BIN

Spoke to the guy about the charge is200, mileage was nearing 200k!!! And he had no receipts for the work that was done, no thanks

Consider a Scooby i picked my bugeye up dirt cheap and is trooper so far,i know you wanted different i got a white one so that ticked my box,the legacy is great my friend owned one but not without a list of problems, failing that maybe gt4 celica as mentioned

Might have to get a scooby for the laugh of the boxer engine :lol:

2 friends had Celica GT4s, both of them were riddled with problems

Evo service intervals come along every 10 days, and cost and arm and a leg :scare: Speaking to a couple of local owners it really did put me off buying one.

How about a Focus RS

Ford_Focus_RS_front.jpg

Mazda 6 MPS (very rare!)

Red-mazda-6-Wallpaper-HD.jpg

Celica VVTLi

front.jpg

Wouldn't get an RS or a Mazda 6 for £2k :(

Celica is a bit girly for me

I don't see the point of selling the Zed and getting something just as expensive to run, unless I'm missing something :shrug: just get a cheap car to run into the ground and save some pennies for a better car when the time comes, it will be more of an incentive ;)

Running costs isn't an issue really, it's just the money from selling the Zed that I need

i bought an alfa 156 veloce last year with 39000 miles FSH and fully loaded for £1500, its only a 1.6 but i really cant tell which i prefer driving that or the zed its that nice. highly recommended

Edited by 350 Russ

Hmmm...interesting

i bought an alfa 156 veloce last year with 39000 miles FSH and fully loaded for £1500, its only a 1.6 but i really cant tell which i prefer driving that or the zed its that nice. highly recommended

Not a fan of Alfa's anymore

I've owned mine to claim my Petrolhead status