Bloody insect bites - any suggestions?

twobears

Fed up today because I've got insect bites all over both legs and they itch and look horrible :( I know insects must play a vital role in the ecological system but I am not a fan because they always single me out to bite me and I get stupid reactions to the bites. Has anyone ever found anything that works to prevent insect bites? If so, please let me know because otherwise I am cancelling summer and we will all have to return to winter weather immediately :rant:

Once you've been bitten Anthisan is probably the best cream I've found to help soothe the itching, available at most chemists but not boots I don't believe. There seems to be a big increase in the number of mosquitos around the UK at the minute, they breed in stagnant water so if you have any sitting water around your house you'd be wise to try and get rid of it.

Haydn, I use the Anthisan all the time and it really works. I need to figure out how not to get bitten in the first place though. I've ordered some of the Smidgie stuff and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work. The reviews all sound very encouraging. As for the standing water, er, not sure how to get round that as I live in fen country :scare: I've also got a rather stagnant pond for my waterfowl which I must clean out this weekend but I am surrounded by dykes (no jokes please :surrender: ) that I can't exactly get rid of :p

Vik, I thought brewers yeast was good for erectile dysfunction and I definitely don't suffer from that :blush::lol: I tend to prefer something by Chanel rather than the fragrance of raw onion too :yuck: Might try it if nothing else works mind you ...

rabbitstew, nothing would persusade me to eat Marmite :yuck: It's not even food in my opinion :wacko:

Edited by twobears

I rarely get insect bites, either that or my skin doesn't react to them. It might be an old wives tale but I believe fair skinned people like me aren't targeted by insects as much as darker skinned people. The last time Caroline and I went to The States I picked up a number of Deer Fly bites, Caroline had 10 times as many....just saying. The only exception for me would be bee and wasp stings I've probably had a couple of hundred over my life time :scare: .

Pete

Brewers Yeast tablets for prevention - supposedly they don't like Thiamin rich blood. Or of course you can just rub yourself with raw onion :lol:

+1 Vitamin B1 is the thing to take :thumbs:

. . . unless of course you like odour onion :lol:

Nope, not keen on onion when worn as a perfume :dry::D Will try the Vit B1 thing though :)

Pete, how on earth have you managed to get so many bee and wasp stings?? Unless you are a really incompetent beekeeper or have stuck your hand into a wasps' nest I can't think how you could have garnered quite so many stings? :scare:

Pete, how on earth have you managed to get so many bee and wasp stings??

Most of them occurred when I was mowing my Dad's lawn using a petrol mower. It must be the smell of hydrocarbons that annoys them. We had several pear and apple trees in the garden plus there were at least two swarms of bees in the cavity walls of my dad's house. I once got 5 stings in a day :scare: and a sting on my eyelid the day before I got married, plus one on the top of my head for good measure :lol: . Last one I got was when I took a bath and a bee must have landed in my undies.....ouch! Luckily, I've never had a Horsefly sing, I believe they are really nasty.

Pete