only an idea :) hard top convertible?

ddcboyle

If I were to do it, I wouldnt want fancy electronic gizmos and it looking like a convertable. Just simply a roof, I can unclip and remove.

The guys who get these electric conversions for a hardtop have deep pockets. Not something I have, but if a removable roof was potentially possible with little foreseeable problems, we may have our first hardtop convertable-ish zed

Smoothline make the Zed Hardtop. costs $1800 although shipping would be horrendous. Weighs about 20kgs. The Targa conversion costs around $3000 in The U.S.

Pete

DId you find that via a link? Would like to see the process, could potentially look at getting a bodyshop to do this at a lower cost for advertisement on car.

What about something along this lines, you could install 2 standard sunroofs lengthways for instance and have them removable

car_photo_10970_7.jpg

SOmething like that could work tbh. Maybe not a full targa style, but having support bar through the middle of the roof and removing either side. So basically, targa but having 8inches or so of the roof remaining in the centre?

What about something along this lines, you could install 2 standard sunroofs lengthways for instance and have them removable

car_photo_10970_7.jpg

SOmething like that could work tbh. Maybe not a full targa style, but having support bar through the middle of the roof and removing either side. So basically, targa but having 8inches or so of the roof remaining in the centre?

Take an old rear boot strut and jam that down the middle!

You could even get RT to hydro dip the sunroof panels in carbon!!! Would that even work, hydro on glass?

What's the structural difference between the Coupe and the Roadster? Surely Nissan must have already thunk this rigidity and strength issue through on your behalf no?

Presuming the chassis is the same for coupe and covertable, that you could remove the roof and rear window and the chassis would hold. But if we kept the boot/rear window as it is, it may not have structural integrity to hold itself in position.

I have no idea on how structures hold, just a guess

still think the coupe looks a lot better. I think it was mugen who done a hardtop version for the s2000 that went all the way to the back of the car. something along they lines could look pretty good on the zed

nope it was spoon

109.jpg

Never been a fan of the S2000 looks.

Just shot me load now though.

If you fancy getting blown to bits, the targa top looks pretty good. You'll get an incredible amount of wind noise as well as end up freezing cold with a targa though. /VOE

Easy enough to do if you want to. Cut roof, add rubber seals, add big clips front and rear, job's a carrot.

Proper convertible is the way to go IMHO.

Like the idea of the two removable panels (TVR pic earlier) but think it would be better along the lines of the MK2 MR2. This still had the removable roof and a beam that ran down the middle for rigidity. I am biased though as I used to own one :p

1994_toyota_mr2_t-bar-pic-47794.jpeg

Edited by longsh07

i still own one and it leaks and that was from factory made , imagine if its one of us doing it :lol: I think targra is way to go, so where would you get clips etc to do this then? or take it off a broken car and modify?

Edited by jumping350

Haha I just want to look cool when I drive. Not a sunny day with me covered in sweat in my coupe, aircon on and constantly hitting heated seat button when I try rest my arm.

I would take the plunge into doing it; but would need a good garage behind me who are able to sort potential problems. What prices you reckon itll cost? 1k?

i still own one and it leaks and that was from factory made , imagine if its one of us doing it :lol: I think targra is way to go, so where would you get clips etc to do this then? or take it off a broken car and modify?

Thats part of the charm isnt it? :lol:

Nothing like arriving at work with a wet crotch and trying to explain you didn't wet yourself, it was the cars fault.

I was lucky, only my passenger side leaked. Not the most popular car with the missus :teeth:

Edited by longsh07

Thats part of the charm isnt it? :lol:

Nothing like arriving at work with a wet crotch and trying to explain you didn't wet yourself, it was the cars fault.

I was lucky, only my passenger side leaked. Not the most popular car with the missus :teeth:

Atleast you could brag that the missus gets wet jn your car?

• Like 1

I would take the plunge into doing it; but would need a good garage behind me who are able to sort potential problems. What prices you reckon itll cost? 1k?

Get a quote and find out?

The parts are the cheap bit though, it's the actual engineering to make sure it doesn't creak and leak that's the problem. Also your car is going to flex like a mofo.

Get a quote and find out?

The parts are the cheap bit though, it's the actual engineering to make sure it doesn't creak and leak that's the problem. Also your car is going to flex like a mofo.

I dont track my car so hopefully wont be too bad. Might pop round a few garages after payday and enquire. "Okay mate how much to cut myvroof off then stick it back on...." :lol: