only an idea :) hard top convertible?

ddcboyle

I went off the idea when I started researching it a bit more. Was looking more like 2,500 to have the work done. Creating new clips and seals, there was a possibility with targa roof that it would fit in the boot. The actual strength of it, well the centre part wouldn't be your original roof, there would have to be stronger frame placed in and then another roof basically created.

Its do-able with the right garage, but the cost put me off. Especially since its not a common thing to do, theres so much to go wrong.

There was other ideas put forwards about havin struts across the doors (sorta like a roll cage), but involved too much work.

I generally have no idea about this sorta stuff, I just ask questions :lol: so maybe it could work if you just took a saw to you roof :p

A couple of mates and me made our own convertible/Targa Manta GTE coupe years ago along the same lines after seeing the Supra

Cut the roof out and welded up the doors and gaffa taped/glued foam rubber to trim the cut edges.

No attempt at making the roof fit back in we just put the car in a garage when it rained and got wet bums if we were caught out.

It was a £500 clunker to start with so we just ran it around for the summer and then junked it.

To be fair it wouldn't have lasted much longer even with the doors welded shut the amount of flex and scuttle shake were horrendous.

Would like to see it done with the 350Z but you will junk the car. :lol:

I might have some photos somewhere (prints from 35mm film, was before digital media existed :scare: ) Ill have a look in the loft later.

Edited by flyboy

There was an idea to have the doors, practically, welded shut. It was like a roll cage, but was metal struts connecting between each side of the chassis. So there was probably no chance for your girlfriend to get in the car without going through the roof. Doors would be useless and would just make you look silly, opening your door to climb over a big metal pole. But it meant there was no need for targa top and it would be a riggid hard top.

Presumably the chassis on the convertible is different to the coupe?

Smoothline make the Zed Hardtop. costs $1800 although shipping would be horrendous. Weighs about 20kgs. The Targa conversion costs around $3000 in The U.S.

Pete

DId you find that via a link? Would like to see the process, could potentially look at getting a bodyshop to do this at a lower cost for advertisement on car.

Would they respray your car at the same time!! ?? B):p