£8k insurance on a 1.6 Astra!

HEADPHONES

New girl at work pays £8k on a standard 56 plate Astra!

21yrs old, 1yr no claims living in Manchester.

She paid £2.5k last year on a 1.2 Corsa but wanted a bigger car causing the premium hike.

God knows what the premium on a Zed would be for her.

I call BS on this one. Sorry, but no-one is going to pay £8K for the insurance on a car worth about half that.

She's having you on mate. I can believe that a 21 year old could be quoted £8K on a MY56 Astra 1.6 living in Manchester, but no-one would pay that.

I call BS on this one. Sorry, but no-one is going to pay £8K for the insurance on a car worth about half that.

She's having you on mate. I can believe that a 21 year old could be quoted £8K on a MY56 Astra 1.6 living in Manchester, but no-one would pay that.

+1

So she's paying £5.5k to have an Astra rather than a Corsa for a year?

I think I'd get a bike and use public transport if my insurance cost anywhere near that, I've never paid more than £1k.

I think she must have mixed up her words and meant to say that she got a quote for 8k for the Astra.

If it was a Ferrari or any other supercar and she was a celeb, then yeah I can imagine her paying 8k for insurance coz those types would pay anything as money isn't so much of an issue as style and status etc.

But for an average joe to fork out 8k for an Astra, I can't believe that anyone would want to drive an Astra THAT bad that they couldn't just switch to a corsa and pay a fraction of the price.

If it was a Ferrari or any other supercar and she was a celeb, then yeah I can imagine her paying 8k for insurance coz those types would pay anything as money isn't so much of an issue as style and status etc.

When I got a quote to insure a lambo, it came back as half the price it cost me to insure my zed!

As others have said, no way on earth would someone fork out 8 grand on insurance unless they are mad. For that price you could probably afford to use taxi`s every day instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Find that a bit odd as my daughter just passed her test , has 2005 jazz 1.4 and only pays £1800,

Manchester and surrounding areas is horrendous for car insurance and the area has a huge impact on price, not an £8000 impact though.

I remember when I moved to Manchester for Uni my Insurance quote tripled. Needless to say I left my car at my parents.

Picture of copy of quote accompanied by tin of custard and optionally girl in question naked.

Spoke to my insurance about the difference a postcode can make to an insurance cost the other day. The woman told me that one guy who lived in London, with not a particularly nice postcode, was looking to move to Leeds and gave her his potential new postcode to get a quote. Premium would have risen by £5000 :scare:

That is from an insurer rather than a pub tale so could well be the case. :shrug:

Spoke to my insurance about the difference a postcode can make to an insurance cost the other day. The woman told me that one guy who lived in London, with not a particularly nice postcode, was looking to move to Leeds and gave her his potential new postcode to get a quote. Premium would have risen by £5000 :scare:

That is from an insurer rather than a pub tale so could well be the case. :shrug:

Yes, but then you'd "Go Compare" and get it for basically the same price.

The postcode statistics thing really annoys me. When I moved from living on a busy main road (where an accident happened nearly every other day) in a city to living in a quiet town down a very quiet cul-de-sac full of retirement bungalows & curtain twitching Miss Marple types who are at home all day, I expected my insurance to drop or at least stay the same as it`s a very low crime area. However, my insurance increased by about 15->20%. It seems that they must only take the first 2 characters of your postcode which may include towns some 10->20miles away which may have a high claim rate, rather than actually take your immediate area into account.

As always the insurance companies look for ways to increase the premium and dont bother with taking things into account which might reduce it.